throwout bearing?

ygohome

Bullz
Established Member
I'm getting a loud high pitched squeel when I engage the cluth in 1st gear or reverse from a stand still. It only lasts for a second. Any ideas what this could be? I've made an aapointment at my local Ford service dept. to bring it in on Tuesday. I suspect I'll probably have to leave it with them for a few days.

If it is the throwout bearing, how difficult is this for them to fix? Do they need to drop the transmission?

Thanks

SoCalBlk03

THE Clutch Killer!!
Established Member
Originally posted by ygohome

If it is the throwout bearing, how difficult is this for them to fix? Do they need to drop the transmission?

Thanks

It probibly is the throwout bearing if it does it when...the car is either in or out of gear and clutch pedal is not depressed. The T/O squeel usualy goes away when the clutch pedal is depressed. What you may have is a slipping clutch. Either way the tranny would have to be dropped. The T/O bearing actually sits on the input shaft of the transmission, the clutch well I'm sure you know where that is. Good luck.;-)

Will's97

Established Member
My Car: Vin 1490 with 2000 miles has a squeel when the cluch peddle is just pushed in a little or all the way to the floor. I think it is the throw out bearing. It just started yesterday and I hope it will just go away..........probably sat in Woodward Dream Cruise traffic too long.

ygohome

Bullz
Established Member
Thank you for the replies. I get the squeel when I just barely push the clutch pedal in (probably about 1/4 inch) or when I let off the clutch (again at about the 1/4 inch mark just before I let my foot completely off the pedal). It doesn't happen all of the time but it happens enough where I can reproduce it when I'm at the dealer.

So, does this sound like a slipping clutch problem? I guess I'll find out for sure once I bring it in on TUesday.

Thanks.

ygohome

Bullz
Established Member
I get my car back tonight from the shop. After test driving it, they say that the noise was from the throw out bearing and they just finished fixing it and putting it back together.

I'll see later tonight if this really fixed the prob.

BTW, can someone explain what the throwout bearing does? Thanks!

Matt03

Established Member
I have the same sound. It started around 2000-3000 miles. At first is was present when the clutch was to the floor and now it is present when the clutch isn't depress. It will stop if i put my foot on the clutch but not depressing. I am going to let it go because i plan on putting on a triple plate clutch and that will include a high performance throwout bearing.

Elapidae

Festively Plump
Established Member
The release lever operating mechanism of the clutch is known as the throw-out bearing. This is a ball bearing, mounted on a sleeve or collar, and it slides back ad forth on a hub. The hub is part of the transmission front bearing retainer. The factory fills the throw-out bearing with grease, so it doesn't usually need service. Some cars use a graphite type, which is a ring of graphite that presses against a plate attached to the clutch levers. The sleeve with the throw-out bearing moves in and out by means of a throw-out fork; it rotates on a ball pivot stud. When you disengage the clutch, the clutch pedal is all of the way down. The throw-out fork forces the throw-out bearing into contact with the pressure plate release levers, which pull the pressure plate from the clutch disc to release it. Once released, the flywheel and pressure plate continue to turn.

no, I'm not that smart (www.askjeeves.com) :-D

Silver 03 Cobra

Mine started sqealing about two weeks after I got it at 600 miles. I was in the middle of a mod spree so I took it to the dealer so it was on record. It has gotten progressively worse. I need to take it on in and get it fixed. I have my pulley gaurd off and a 2.93 pulled on it and I bet they don't even notice it or possibly be able to tell. When I take it to the dealer a lot of their people come out and look at it because most have never seen an 03.

ygohome

Bullz
Established Member
Originally posted by Matt03
I am going to let it go because i plan on putting on a triple plate clutch and that will include a high performance throwout bearing.

Matt,

Which brand clutch are you considering? If I get this problem again then I was thinking of switching to a centerforce clutch or something similar.

Thanks

Users who are viewing this thread