Thyroid problems??

SublimeRT

'94 Slooowbraa
Established Member
Hi all, last Monday I was visiting my father and he noticed I had some swelling going on in my neck. So I went and had some blood work done.....that all came back normal. Then I went to the hospital and had an ultrasound done. The nurse showed me what was going on inside me and sure enough my thyroid was quite enlarged. I've got another doctors appointment on the 7th and I've been doing some reading online about thyroid problems. I haven't really felt like myself since this all started; been real tired and sore amongst other things. So I'm just looking to hear from other people that have had thyroid problems and what kind of side effects you experienced.

Thanks,

Gallows

Make My Day... N/A
Established Member
My has has a low thyroid and before she was diagnosed she was tired all of the time, irritable and had no energy. The doctor figured if it was undetected for another week or two her systems would of started to shut down and died. She is on medication and it work fairly well but you need to have blood work done a couple times a year to make sure the dosage is correct.

L8APEX

*Turbo Not to Scale
Established Member
Premium Member
I recently started treatment for hypothyroidism (low thyroid) and am taking 150mg a day. Was diagnosed via blood samples, no ultrasound or anthing of that nature for me. Been on meds for about a month and 1 1/2 and I have allready lost 15 pounds. I'm still really sore all over, somtimes more than others but I'm starting to get a bit better. I don't fall asleep easily due to being sore but I sleep longer and then still feel tired, enough for a nap in the afternoon. By the end of last year when I was working on the road as soon as I got back to the hotel after a 8-12hr day I'd be so exhausted that I'd fall asleep and not wake up until morning (except when the fellas I had to share a room with snored). I have had symptoms that have progressevily gotten worse over the past 5 years that were mis-diagnosed as depression, so I'm ready to start felling better. You just have to wait for your body to heal itself, that is after you thyroid levels get back up to par. That alone takes many months or more. Can't wait to feel good enough to polish and wax the truck, right now I can barely polish a fender.

Last edited:

x0lizzbeth0x

Nada.
Established Member
Those are all classic symptoms. You will be fine - they have plenty of medications today to fix that.

noahsark2012

4V 500rwhp club
Established Member
have them test you for Graves' Disease while they're doing all those tests.

SublimeRT

'94 Slooowbraa
Established Member
Thanks for the replies. Based on what I've read I think I have hypothyroidism, but I'll let the doc decide for sure. Hopefully I won't lose any weight like you mentioned, UberSonicBlue. I only weigh 125 to begin with. I have also been diagnosed with depression in my past, but that never really seemed right to me.

FordSVTFan

Oh, the humanity of it all.
Established Member
Thanks for the replies. Based on what I've read I think I have hypothyroidism, but I'll let the doc decide for sure. Hopefully I won't lose any weight like you mentioned, UberSonicBlue. I only weigh 125 to begin with. I have also been diagnosed with depression in my past, but that never really seemed right to me.

Typically those with hypothyroidism dont lose weight, they gain weight. I think Uber was referring to the fact that the treatment for his Hypothyroidism has allowed him to start losing the excess weight most likely attributable to the disorder.

Please consult your doctor for diagnosis and SVTP.

eclipsemustang

Established Member
my mom had graves disease she had to have surgery and she still takes some medication but my mom seems to be her normal self

L8APEX

*Turbo Not to Scale
Established Member
Premium Member
Typically those with hypothyroidism dont lose weight, they gain weight. I think Uber was referring to the fact that the treatment for his Hypothyroidism has allowed him to start losing the excess weight most likely attributable to the disorder.

Please consult your doctor for diagnosis and SVTP.

Exactly, I've allways been around 170-180lbs and a hair over 6ft tall, but at the peak (a few months ago) I was weighing in at 217lbs. Now just after 40+ days of taking thyroid meds I'm back down to around 200lbs. I seem to losing at least 1/2 a pound per day.

Last edited:

jrock817

The Sandman
Established Member
ok lets get this step by step. the symptoms you are describing are a possible goiter, or even a possible mass on your thyroid. if they tested your blood you need to know a few values that should have been tested. first your t4 levels. that the hormone your thyroid releases, and if it is overacting, then you will have more of it than normal. also, you need to have your tsh checked. this is the hormone that tells your thyroid to release t4 and other hormones. if your thyroid is not working properly, then tsh levels will be higher. goiters can be caused either way, or if you somehow avoided iodized salt for a while. if it is a mass then you will need a possible surgical consult. i dont intend to make you nervous, but as a few people have said there are plenty of medication to take the place of your thyroid gland. i would not waste any time getting to see doctors to determine the cause of the growth and any treatment you may need. pm me if you have other questions

noahsark2012

4V 500rwhp club
Established Member

is your heart rate very fast or very slow? if your blood pressure high or low?

if your blood pressure is up and your heart rate is high, you have hyperthyroidism. you may feel weak, break out into cold sweats, experience sleeplessness or insomnia, have a jump in metabolism, and lose weight but have an increase in appetite, have irregular sleeping patterns, and feel tired with the exertion of little or no activity, you may also experience a lack of focus, ability to concentrate, and may even have periods where you become confused and disoriented and forget what you are doing.

if your blood pressure and heart rate are down, you have hypothyroidism. you may feel lethargic, tired, fluctuate from hot to cold, you may have an increase in weight, and decrease in appetite, insomnia, severe and unexplained depression that sets in very rapidly and without warning, you may lose interest in things your normally like to do, and you may even lose the desire to live (doesn't mean you will commit suicide, you may have trouble motivating yourself (school, work, even washing your car, and doing chores) but you'll just feel like you wish you were dead or would die), extreme fatigue and loss of use of leg and arm muscles, slightest exertion of energy completely wears you out.

Graves Disease is an auto-immune disease that causes the thyroid to fluctuate back and forth between hyper and hypo.

also, if you have a goiter, it can be surgically removed and you'll take a pill called Synthroid (sp?) once a day for the rest of your life. The procedure is very low risk, and is done by a throat surgeon, takes about a day, they keep you overnight, and you go home the next day, you're out of work about 7-10 days. takes a few months to get the pill dialed into the right dosage, but afterwards you live a pretty normal life, you go for a check up a couple times a year to make sure things are good, get your blood drawn, they check your thyroid levels.

get it checked out asap, and don't delay it or put it off. get a professional opinon, and if you don't like what you hear, get a second opinion. you may not need surgery, but you could possibly benefit from a dose of radioactive iodine therapy, to get the thyroid to fall in line. it's a painless procedure, and you'll notice a big difference in how you feel after about 2 months.

ok lets get this step by step. the symptoms you are describing are a possible goiter, or even a possible mass on your thyroid. if they tested your blood you need to know a few values that should have been tested. first your t4 levels. that the hormone your thyroid releases, and if it is overacting, then you will have more of it than normal. also, you need to have your tsh checked. this is the hormone that tells your thyroid to release t4 and other hormones. if your thyroid is not working properly, then tsh levels will be higher. goiters can be caused either way, or if you somehow avoided iodized salt for a while. if it is a mass then you will need a possible surgical consult. i dont intend to make you nervous, but as a few people have said there are plenty of medication to take the place of your thyroid gland. i would not waste any time getting to see doctors to determine the cause of the growth and any treatment you may need. pm me if you have other questions

very good tips and advice!

matab14

pop up and do less....
Established Member
Im hypothyroid as well. Been that was ever since I was about 14. I was lucky enough that doc caught fairly early so I'm on fairly small dosage. I think 50mg/day but it does suck having take the shit the rest of my life lol

cobra_4

#PITS
Established Member
My grandma had thyroid problems. It cause her a lot of problems in her later years but I can't remember all the details.

CobraMarkVIII

Established Member
have them test you for Graves' Disease while they're doing all those tests.
+1

My ex gf had both Graves' Disease and a thyroid condition. I'm going to say that she was literally crazy when her thyroid medication was not working for her, but only because of the individual person. I know other people with thyroid conditions, and they just get a little loopy if they haven't got their blood work done in a while.

Sinnz28

Established Member
I have Had hypothyroid/hashimoto's disease for the last 7 years.
Feeling lathargic and being tired all the time sucks.
Make sure you find a good docter they are very hard to find, atleast here in houston.

jrock817

The Sandman
Established Member
+1

My ex gf had both Graves' Disease and a thyroid condition. I'm going to say that she was literally crazy when her thyroid medication was not working for her, but only because of the individual person. I know other people with thyroid conditions, and they just get a little loopy if they haven't got their blood work done in a while.

graves disease is a manifestation of hyperthyroidism

Users who are viewing this thread