Tick came but went away?

I didn't start my car for about 3 days and when I started it in the morning I heard a loud annoying ticking sound from the drivers side and as I was going it was very annoying. Eventually when I got on the freeway it went away and then when I parked at work it was gone. When I started the car back up again it was still gone. It seemed like it was there only this morning for a bit but then went away. I have 14,000 on the odometer and I don't know if I had anything flashed or head changed from the previous owner but the date on the engine is 11/02. What could that problem be for only to be there then disappear? Anyone else had something like this?

UltimateSVT

Steer with the Rear
Established Member
nikemason said:
I didn't start my car for about 3 days and when I started it in the morning I heard a loud annoying ticking sound from the drivers side and as I was going it was very annoying. Eventually when I got on the freeway it went away and then when I parked at work it was gone. When I started the car back up again it was still gone. It seemed like it was there only this morning for a bit but then went away. I have 14,000 on the odometer and I don't know if I had anything flashed or head changed from the previous owner but the date on the engine is 11/02. What could that problem be for only to be there then disappear? Anyone else had something like this?
Some of the lifters probably blead down, while it was sitting for those few days, causing a lot of valve lash and making that ticking noise. That's what it sounds like to me, based on how it went away after driving on the freeway. You really don't have anything to worry about. If or when you get the tick, you will know it cause it won't go away.

FireRed04Vert

Established Member
Sounds like a classic case of piston slap. Not as common on these cars as the 01's, but I'm hearing it's still out there. The forged pistons expand greater than hyperutectic or cast pistons and need just a bit more clearance. Once the car (and the pistons) warm up, it's gone.

I might be concerned however if you're hearing it only on the left side. It would make me wonder if I hadn't scuffed #7 or 8. Just to be safe, it may not hurt to take the car to a performance shop and have the motor leak tested.

Users who are viewing this thread