Tick fixed?

LiquidStang

Established Member
So I just got my car back from the "tick fix". The dealership was very good and pretty much replaced with the 3rd gen head no questions asked. My problem is after I got it back, it seems that I still have a tick. It doesn't sound like the same tick, but both sides really sound equally as loud, and it's just a clank clank clank noise. It's not horribly loud, but you can hear it about 5 feet away from the car, or if you go through a drive through. I listened to my buddy's 03 Cobra with 60K on the ticker (ported blower, 490rwhp) and then mine...side by side and my tick is much more pronounced. You all think this is normal?

Think the car is safe now with the new head? I'm considering getting an extended warranty since I only have 12K on the ticker and warranty runs out next month. (Although I do have a pulley on the car, I swapped the stock on/reflashed my ECU for the repair). Also, will the weight of the oil change the sound of the engine? I normally run 5/30 Synthetic in the car, and after the head replacement they put Motorcraft 5/20 back in it......could this be why it sounds a bit louder?

Just looking for opinions guys, thanks!

-Eric

traktrbeam

Oh Noes!
Established Member
Premium Member
Mine quieted down a lot when I switched to syth..but then again I don't have the "Tick".

LiquidStang

Established Member
Anyone else? And also, if it happens to be noise from the piston problem (overheat, teflon burnt) will this hurt anything to keep running it? The car runs fine and I only put about 6K miles on it a year.

Last edited:

AllVenom

Established Member
If it is the "piston" problem, then yes, your gonna have problems sometime soon down the road. Have you tried listening with a 'scope? Sometimes I think this "ticking" sound is being mis-diagnosed and could just be normal engine noise (injectors, valves). However, if it is louder by pinpointing it to a particular piston, then yes, it is the tick. I mean even a small exhaust leak in the manifold will sound like a tick. If your really unsure about it, take it to a performance shop and have them evaluate it for you, sometimes the dealership just doesn't want to deal with it properly.

LiquidStang

Established Member
AllVenom said:
If it is the "piston" problem, then yes, your gonna have problems sometime soon down the road. Have you tried listening with a 'scope? Sometimes I think this "ticking" sound is being mis-diagnosed and could just be normal engine noise (injectors, valves). However, if it is louder by pinpointing it to a particular piston, then yes, it is the tick. I mean even a small exhaust leak in the manifold will sound like a tick. If your really unsure about it, take it to a performance shop and have them evaluate it for you, sometimes the dealership just doesn't want to deal with it properly.

What kind of problems? The closest shop that would know anything about cobras is 3 hours away. It's not exactly a simple process to get them to look at it.

I would take it back to the dealer, but if they found out it was the piston, and wanted to replace the engine, an SVT rep would come. I'm assuming they can still tell that it's been modified if I restored the stock program (unmarried my Diablo) and put the stock pulley/belt back on.......right???

This is pissing me off, paying a crapload for a car that sounds like my dad's 20 year old farm truck with its clank/clank/clank. UGG........12K miles and I already need to buy some new pistons. :fm:

-Eric

Last edited:

AllVenom

Established Member
LiquidStang said:
What kind of problems? The closest shop that would know anything about cobras is 3 hours away. It's not exactly a simple process to get them to look at it.

I would take it back to the dealer, but if they found out it was the piston, and wanted to replace the engine, an SVT rep would come. I'm assuming they can still tell that it's been modified if I restored the stock program (unmarried my Diablo) and put the stock pulley/belt back on.......right???

This is pissing me off, paying a crapload for a car that sounds like my dad's 20 year old farm truck with its clank/clank/clank. UGG........12K miles and I already need to buy some new pistons. :fm:

-Eric

Did you buy the car used? If so, there's no way for that SVT rep to know whether you modified the car or not, so they would have to replace your engine, point blank. I'm sure they might put up a little resistance, but in the end, they would have to replace it. There are laws that protect us. And, there is no way for them to know you modified your tune if you replaced the stock tune, unless the Predator is doing a hack and this hack can be traced. I don't know much about how it does it's programming.

Are you positive it is not the exhaust or transmission?

LiquidStang

Established Member
AllVenom said:
Did you buy the car used? If so, there's no way for that SVT rep to know whether you modified the car or not, so they would have to replace your engine, point blank. I'm sure they might put up a little resistance, but in the end, they would have to replace it. There are laws that protect us. And, there is no way for them to know you modified your tune if you replaced the stock tune, unless the Predator is doing a hack and this hack can be traced. I don't know much about how it does it's programming.

Are you positive it is not the exhaust or transmission?

Yes, I bought the car used, I'm the 3rd owner. Do you have any idea what the law states exactly? I thought if the car was EVER modified they would void it even if it wasn't my fault....and it would be up to me to go back on the person who modified it.

Yes, i'm sure it's not the exhaust. It sounds just like the "tick" videos and somewhat like piston slap but never goes away.

-Eric

V8Mustang

Established Member
I'd buy the extended warranty and definately follow up on the noise with a scope or performance shop. The weight of the oil will change the noise some but I usually see that more when going from a 5/ or 10/30 to a 20/50.

LiquidStang

Established Member
V8Mustang said:
I'd buy the extended warranty and definately follow up on the noise with a scope or performance shop. The weight of the oil will change the noise some but I usually see that more when going from a 5/ or 10/30 to a 20/50.

Well, it's really the same sound as when I first took the car in to the shop, and then when I used a scope it was coming from the back cylinders up underneath.

-Eric

AllVenom

Established Member
LiquidStang said:
Yes, I bought the car used, I'm the 3rd owner. Do you have any idea what the law states exactly? I thought if the car was EVER modified they would void it even if it wasn't my fault....and it would be up to me to go back on the person who modified it.

Yes, i'm sure it's not the exhaust. It sounds just like the "tick" videos and somewhat like piston slap but never goes away.

-Eric

They would have to warranty it, how in the world could they prove who did what to the car as you are the 3rd owner. You just have to be firm with them. Even if you buy an aftermarket warranty, there is no guarantee that the aftermarket company will warranty it. I would take it back to the dealer immediately, since they replaced the heads without question, they will surely follow up with fixing it correctly now, they have to. They can't decide to replace the heads under warranty and then all of a sudden say, no, we're not going to fix it further?

Jimmysidecarr

Semi user friendly
Established Member
Is it currently totally un-modded... stock tune/no pulley????

Because it sure sounds like you've got some hurt pistons in the left bank...

And if they cover that after it was "modded before" ....and perhaps not tuned "dead on the money" or got hot or what ever....

I would be a very thankful man...
:beer:

LiquidStang

Established Member
Jimmysidecarr said:
Is it currently totally un-modded... stock tune/no pulley????

Because it sure sounds like you've got some hurt pistons in the left bank...

And if they cover that after it was "modded before" ....and perhaps not tuned "dead on the money" or got hot or what ever....

I would be a very thankful man...
:beer:

No, it was modded when I bought it, and I swapped out to a stock pulley/tune to take it in to the shop. It's now back to modded. With just a 3inch pulley and a good tune from RWTD.

I guess I'll just have to live with the noise.......hopefully it won't get any worse nor let loose. :fm:

Jimmysidecarr

Semi user friendly
Established Member
LiquidStang said:
No, it was modded when I bought it, and I swapped out to a stock pulley/tune to take it in to the shop. It's now back to modded. With just a 3inch pulley and a good tune from RWTD.

I guess I'll just have to live with the noise.......hopefully it won't get any worse nor let loose. :fm:

I would recommend a leak down test then ... It will give you or your engine guy... a better idea of how far gone the pistons and ring seal are ...

I would not take it back to the dealer as is... you will be busted and most likely denied warranty on power train stuff..

I just had my head replaced. The sound that I took it in for is gone....I do not have any noise now but who knows...I Love the fact that the threads for spark plug went from 4 to 9!!! Just that alone is worth the swap to me!

porktyme

Senor bang bang
Established Member
Had my heads changed due to the tick a few months ago. The ticking noise went away mostly, but the engine still makes tick, clank, garbled noises. Sometimes. Other times not.

Fact is, these engines make a lot or ruckuss. Live with it...or buy a hybrid honda.

LiquidStang

Established Member
porktyme said:
Had my heads changed due to the tick a few months ago. The ticking noise went away mostly, but the engine still makes tick, clank, garbled noises. Sometimes. Other times not.

Fact is, these engines make a lot or ruckuss. Live with it...or buy a hybrid honda.

LOL, I have a Toyota I drive on trips. I have two friends here in town who have cobras as well. One is stock, one has a 2.8/ported eaton, etc. Mine is louder than either of theirs......

BUT, an update, after I switched to 5/30 oil, the tick did get somewhat more quiet. So I'm just going to live with it. If she blowns sometime down the line, time to rebuild stronger and throw on a KB. :)

markm3673

Established Member
i just replace a head on a 04 mach1 and 1100 miles later it had a tick in it that sounded the same i spent alot of time diagnosing it called hot line was told to pull all 16 cam follwers out and removed the cam caps inspected them and reinstalled and retork the cams and the noise is gone

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread