Tick Question....not the usual "Do I have it"

LiquidStang

Established Member
Ok, here's my dilemma.

My car was built in 9 of 02, and does qualify as far as to the date of "the tick" atleast the original TSB because it seems now about all the Cobras are having it.

My problem is, I honestly don't really think I have it yet. There might be a slight tick, but nothing like in some of these videos/sound clips i've heard. BUT, seeing as I DO have the first stage heads, it might not be showing up yet only because I only have 11K on the odometer.

Now here's the situation. My warranty runs out the 1st of October. Do you think its worth it to take it to the dealer and try my hardest to get them to repalce the head, even though it's not making a huge ticking noise. Or do I just count my blessings, and hope it never shows up?

-Eric

flyn high again

You are getting sleepy...
Established Member
The tick is talked about a lot more than it is experienced. I've seen dozens if not hundreds of Terminators over the last couple years and I've only seen one that had the tick.

whistlin93SVT

Titty!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Established Member
FYI: Upgrading to new heads dosent prevent you from getting the tick. My car came from the factory with the head with the blue strip across it, and I think that I am developing the tick (very soft right now).

The newest updated head that really had "imporvements" were the Jan. 05 run. With these, you are just less likely to develop the "tick"

Blake

DKS2814V

Moderately Modified
Established Member
My service rep told me I have two "classes" of noises. One is injector pulsing, and the other is valve guide clearance issues. Its not bad right now, so they're not gonna do anything about it. I was pretty adamant that they fix it, but since its in the work order, he said that if anything goes wrong when it runs out of warranty, as long as its in writing that you brought it in for that particular reason, they'll fix it.

Just go in, have them look at it. Mention to them there is a service bulletin out on the head replacement, and get them to write it down on a work order. This way they have proof, and so do you that you were trying "preventative maintenance", and if anything goes wrong, they'll replace it under the laws of warranty.

Mine isn't loud at all, and I can't hear it passed 2000rpm. I get my car back Monday now with a new bell-housing and everything. We shall see if my TOB was producing the ticking noise I was concerned about.

Get to work Blake...he he he

evans03c

1% evil, 99% hot air
Established Member
I would go in and be firm that you are well versed in the problem from this board and would like the heads replaced. You don't need to be a jerk or adamant at this point, just firm. Worst thing that can happen is they will deny it but at least you'll leave with the problem documented if or when it gets worse.

Users who are viewing this thread