ticket for "racing"

whtgt02vert

turned to the darkside.
Established Member
ok as the title states i was ticketed for "racing". the reason i put it in quotes is because i wasnt racing. i went on a car cruise to ruidoso, nm and about 3/4 of the way there two other cars and i, and there were about 20 cars with us, got lost. well we end up getting lost for about 15-16 minutes then find the route we were supposed to be on. well we are about to get on the hway and i see some of the other cars that were with us all pulled over. we all get pulled over by a conservation officer, as we were on an indian reservation. i ask the lady what was going on as they were letting all the other cars through, all other cars that didnt look like sports cars, and she says we have reports that you were racing in and out of traffic. i ask someone else who was pulled over before me how long they had been pulled over and he said 15mins. she keeps us all there and waits for the state police to arrive. he cites us all for racing yet he nor the conservation officer saw me personally do anything wrong. i was lost the whole time basically so i followed al the locals around town. the officer, who was very polite and didnt even wanna be there tells me that he will not be showing up to court and that all the conservation officers will be there testifying against us as well as the people who called in. my question is what evidence do they, the accusers, have against me? i just got caught up in this whole mess because im in a corvette. thanks. this all happened yesterday afternoon.

Last edited:

SVT-VNM

*** Snow, Needs to Detail
Established Member
I can definitley see this happening when our organization goes on cruises - what I would do is have everyone that can show up at the court date to testify that none of you were racing, that is was a certified "cruise" and get together, with a pre-planned route printed out and have the overall planner testify the most.

FordSVTFan

Oh, the humanity of it all.
Established Member
Go to court and tell the judge exactly what happened. It seems that what you are describing would not fit the racing statute for NM.

§ 66-8-115. Racing on highways; exception said:
A. Unless written permission setting out pertinent conditions is obtained from the chief of the New Mexico state police, and then only in accordance with such conditions, no person shall drive a vehicle on a highway in any race, speed competition or contest, drag race or acceleration contest, test of physical endurance, exhibition of speed or acceleration or for the purpose of making a speed record, whether or not the speed is in excess of the maximum speed prescribed by law, and no person shall in any manner participate in any such race, drag race, competition, contest, test or exhibition.

B. As used in this section:

(1) "drag race" means the operation of two or more vehicles from a point side by side at accelerating speeds in a competitive attempt to outdistance each other, or the operation of one or more vehicles over a common selected course from the same point to the same point for the purpose of comparing the relative speeds or power of acceleration of the vehicle or vehicles within a certain distance or time limit; and
(2) "race" means the use of one or more vehicles in a manner to outgain or outdistance another vehicle, prevent another vehicle from passing, arrive at a given destination ahead of another vehicle or test the physical stamina or endurance of drivers over long-distance routes.

whtgt02vert

turned to the darkside.
Established Member
how are the people tesifying against us know when we will be going to court? it doesnt make any sense at all. am i going to have to go back up there say not guilty, set another court date and go back up to proclaim my innocence? if i do this is just a total waste of time. the conservation officer was telling the state police that she had pulled one of the guy that was with us over and she expected the rest of us to do so. i wasnt around when that happened but i heard her telling him that.

FordSVTFan

Oh, the humanity of it all.
Established Member
whtgt02vert said:
how are the people tesifying against us know when we will be going to court? it doesnt make any sense at all. am i going to have to go back up there say not guilty, set another court date and go back up to proclaim my innocence? if i do this is just a total waste of time. the conservation officer was telling the state police that she had pulled one of the guy that was with us over and she expected the rest of us to do so. i wasnt around when that happened but i heard her telling him that.

Call the clerk of the court and he/she will give your options.

Users who are viewing this thread