Ticket for tires?

scog72

Established Member
I got stopped with a road block the other day and couldn't find my insurance card. I live in Alabama and we have to show proof of insurance, tag receipt, and driver license. When I couldn't find my proof of insurance the officer asked me to pull over to the side and let him know when I found it. I had the previous 3 cards but couldn't find the current insurance card. Knowing I had insurance, I let him know I just couldn't find it. He decided to write me a ticket for this. Thats fine and I definitely understand this. When he came to the car he felt my tires and said I needed some tires. My tires are pretty slick in the center but have a decent amount of tread on the sides. I told him "I know". When coming back to my car I found out he had written me a warning for my tires and I needed some new ones. I currently have Nitto 555R's with about 8,000 miles on them. I'm not upset about the warning since he could have written me a ticket I guess but I was just wondering what the law was about this in Alabama. Is there a requirement of a certain tread left on your tires? Anyways, after he gave me the tickets/warning, he told me "Awesome looking car man!" haha. I currently have some Mickey Thompson et street bias plys waiting on me at the tire shop. Also ordered a set of Nitto 555 for the back with a set of deep dish 03 Cobra wheels to mount the MT's on. This should take care of the issue but I was just wondering for future dealings. Thanks for the help!

Stopsign32v

Established Member
Lower the tire pressure to around 25psi around town. That will make sure they are slick all the way across and not just in the middle. :D :D :D :D :D :D

Moparkidd

can i get a check 1,2 uhh
Established Member
I think they can have your car towed if wires are showing, not positive, but definetly a ticket. Not sure on the exact wording, but i've heard of it before!

Moparkidd

can i get a check 1,2 uhh
Established Member
2006 Alabama Code - Section 32-5-210 — Restrictions as to tire equipment.
More Sharing ServicesShare|
(a) Every motor carrier, motor vehicle, truck, semitrailer and trailer shall be equipped with pneumatic tires of sufficient traction surface in accordance with the capacity of the motor carrier or motor vehicle, except as otherwise herein provided, the same to be prescribed by the Director of Public Safety.
(1) No person shall operate any vehicle of a type required to be licensed upon the highways of this state except for those tires on the dead axle of a vehicle with a dead axle when one or more of the tires in use on such vehicle is in unsafe operating condition or has a tread depth less than 2/32 inch or .15875 centimeters measured in any two adjacent tread grooves at three equally spaced intervals around the circumference of the tire; provided, that such measurements shall not be made at the locations of any tread wear indicator. A tire shall be considered unsafe if it has any part of the ply or cord exposed, any bump, bulge or separation, any tread or sidewall cracks, cuts or snags in excess of one inch in length and deep enough to expose the body cords, any tire marked "not for highway use," or "for racing purposes only," or "unsafe for highway use" or words of similar import and any tire which has been regrooved or recut below the original groove depth, excepting special tires which have extra undertread rubber for this purpose and are identified as such; provided, that the prohibitions of this section shall not apply to the tires upon the dead axle of a vehicle equipped with such a dead axle.

Google is your friend.

Black*Death

Sleeping
Established Member
2006 Alabama Code - Section 32-5-210 — Restrictions as to tire equipment.
More Sharing ServicesShare|
(a) Every motor carrier, motor vehicle, truck, semitrailer and trailer shall be equipped with pneumatic tires of sufficient traction surface in accordance with the capacity of the motor carrier or motor vehicle, except as otherwise herein provided, the same to be prescribed by the Director of Public Safety.
(1) No person shall operate any vehicle of a type required to be licensed upon the highways of this state except for those tires on the dead axle of a vehicle with a dead axle when one or more of the tires in use on such vehicle is in unsafe operating condition or has a tread depth less than 2/32 inch or .15875 centimeters measured in any two adjacent tread grooves at three equally spaced intervals around the circumference of the tire; provided, that such measurements shall not be made at the locations of any tread wear indicator. A tire shall be considered unsafe if it has any part of the ply or cord exposed, any bump, bulge or separation, any tread or sidewall cracks, cuts or snags in excess of one inch in length and deep enough to expose the body cords, any tire marked "not for highway use," or "for racing purposes only," or "unsafe for highway use" or words of similar import and any tire which has been regrooved or recut below the original groove depth, excepting special tires which have extra undertread rubber for this purpose and are identified as such; provided, that the prohibitions of this section shall not apply to the tires upon the dead axle of a vehicle equipped with such a dead axle.

Google is your friend.

+1..2/32 is what I have seen in a few states. I believe tire wear indicators are even with the tread about 2/32 but I could be wrong

scog72

Established Member
Thanks Mopar! I'm sure the center does not have 2/32 but the sides have over that for sure. There are not any cords showing so I won't have to worry about that, but I didn't know if any of ya'll had ever gotten a ticket or warning for the same thing?

svtcop

Pain Don't Hurt
Established Member
If I notice really worn tires on a stop I will usually write a warning as well.

I won't really look for it though. Just not something I come across a lot.

Last edited:

scog72

Established Member
Ok SVTCOP, do you normally get a gauge out or just look and see? I would guess just look if its a warning but I was just wondering. Good thing is it gave me a reason to tell my wife I needed new tires. Problem is, I showed her the MT et streets and she said those look slicker than the ones that are on it.

prostkr

Established Member
Mickey Thompsons are legal for about 20 seconds after you mount them. The have the min 2/32s when new. One trip around the block and they are technically ticket worthy. Your tires have wear indicators built into them, its very easy for an officer to visually tell. The tread depth is not what you look at. A lot of tires are junk with 50% tread still showing on them, you need minimum water channeling to be safe in the rain is what the manufactures and insurance company's are after.

COBRA_ESQ

Established Member
Most (all?) states require 2/32" tread depth.

Though I am sure all car guys know this, a penny makes an excellent thread gauge. If the tread does not hide part of Lincoln"s head, the tread is less than 2/32".

pennyfront.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread