Tickets in School Zone - For LEO Only

slider701

Established Member
I'll start this thread with the preface that I did not get a ticket nor have I ever speed in a school zone.

We have several school zones in my community....on a 40 mph road and it goes down to 20 mph during the school-zone times, from 7:00-8:00 and 3:00-4:00 m-f.

During the last several time changes (like last weekend) they failed to change the time setting inside the signs. Consequently the lights were flashing at 6:45 on Monday morning yet the sign says 7:00 - 8:00. Nowhere on the sign does it reference the flashing lights as a warning to slow down (like "slow when flashing")

The last several times this has happened it took about a week to get the internal clock set and the lights to coordinate with the correct time. Coincidentally the last several times there has been a county sheriff sitting in the school zone between 6:30 - 7:00 shooting radar and writing tickets for speeding in the zone.

Like I said....I haven't got a ticket but there were several parents at the daycare we use complaining that they did get tickets because the lights were flashing and the officer told them that the lights took precedent over the times posted on the sign.

What's the law regarding this in the state of Texas (North Dallas....Denton County)????

If your law degree is from the "University of Google" please keep your opinion to yourself......I'd prefer to hear from Adam and others on here who actually understand the law.

FNsweetS3

Crazy Gun Bunny!!!
Established Member
The Officer is correct - Flashing lights even with it being a malfunction supersede the times posted. (I would believe the defense of the times on the flashing being off will get the citation either reduced or dismissed depending on the judge - a strict Judge will tell you it is still a violation of the law)

Example.... if the traffic light is flashing yellow in all directions..... and there is an Officer directing traffic.... the Officer is the device you follow.

Last edited:

FordSVTFan

Oh, the humanity of it all.
Established Member
I'll start this thread with the preface that I did not get a ticket nor have I ever speed in a school zone.

We have several school zones in my community....on a 40 mph road and it goes down to 20 mph during the school-zone times, from 7:00-8:00 and 3:00-4:00 m-f.

During the last several time changes (like last weekend) they failed to change the time setting inside the signs. Consequently the lights were flashing at 6:45 on Monday morning yet the sign says 7:00 - 8:00. Nowhere on the sign does it reference the flashing lights as a warning to slow down (like "slow when flashing")

The last several times this has happened it took about a week to get the internal clock set and the lights to coordinate with the correct time. Coincidentally the last several times there has been a county sheriff sitting in the school zone between 6:30 - 7:00 shooting radar and writing tickets for speeding in the zone.

Like I said....I haven't got a ticket but there were several parents at the daycare we use complaining that they did get tickets because the lights were flashing and the officer told them that the lights took precedent over the times posted on the sign.

What's the law regarding this in the state of Texas (North Dallas....Denton County)????

If your law degree is from the "University of Google" please keep your opinion to yourself......I'd prefer to hear from Adam and others on here who actually understand the law.

BTW, I love the "University of Google" line. :beer:

As noted above, the flashing yellow lights supercede the sign. So you are subject to two different periods of reduced speed: first when the yellow lights are flashing, and second during the posted times.

Users who are viewing this thread