Tickin Noise

cobra40

Established Member
Well, I put mine in the shop for a second time for the ticking. First time was before Christmas when this was a fairly new issue. They pulled the left valve cover, and checked cam sprockets and lifters, checked tensioners and cam ladders for torque. All checked OK. (this straight off the service ticket). They reassembled and the ticking was still there. I was told Ford engineers were working on the problem. In the meantime, drive with confidence, it's under warrenty.

This time they pulled the valve cover and found a bit of debri on the cam hold-down. Whatever that is. They said this could be causing the problem. The fix - they've ordered a new left side head assemble which comes with two new cams and misc other parts.

The ticking developed / I noticed it, at around 1500 miles. So its been there since before debris was found. The ticking is constant. From startup to turnoff. Increases/decreased in frequency directly relative to RPM. It never goes away, gets less noticable or otherwise changes in character in any way, shape or form. I has however seemingly become more noticable. Is it perception base on my level of irritation, or has the problem really become more advanced? I don't know.

On an emotional level, I don't want a $40K car with a rebuilt engine.

On a rational level, I'm concerned that there may be additional debri that could cause future problems. The new parts that the dealership has ordered will be original Ford equipment just like those installed at the factory. Does anyone have a problem with this course of action? Will the car be perceived as a car with a "re-built" engine, or merely like it has had a repair done. Will there be a perceived loss of value? I know people have had new IRS's installed to resolve the vibration issue, but it seems that an engine rebuild is quite extreme.

What I want - a new engine assembled at the factory. I bought a new car, and now, with only 4000 miles, it has a rebuilt engine. Is wanting the engine replaced a reasonable expectation? I plan on keeping this for quite sometime, in the 5+ year range.

Anyone have any thoughts?

cobra40

Established Member
Just an update...
1 week later, the car is sitting in a service bay with the head off waiting on new cams that appearantly are not available. Was told at least two weeks till available.

In the meantime, FFW is this weekend. :mad:

Has anyone out there with this ticking problem had their head replaced? I've heard that this car is the first head replacement authorized by Ford engineering under the TSB for ticking.

I'll update when I know something further

rskdsk

Established Member
You may have heard of my dealings with ford on a very simular issue. In a nut shell, At 2000 miles the dealership told me I needed a new engine. (piston slap). I called ford to let them know that this was a collectors car, and replaceing the engine would significantly reduce the value of my car! Ford told me to sit and spin.
I then told the dealership and the manager told me he understood (being a old car buff) and would try to help. At the same time I contacted the regional service rep and told him my story. To make a long story short, The regional manager and the dealership got me another cobra and ford bought back the old one.
Many people thought I was being an as$ by requesting a new car, but I am an old car collector and appricate the originality of cars (past and present). I do not know how long I will keep this Cobra, but atleast it is all original.

Hunter

Crazy Insane SVT Poster!
Established Member
cobra40 - I'm subscribing to hear your updates.

stangin

Established Member
Waiting on a cam?? I would order a better cam than factory while they have the old cams out, but guess they would probably not go for that.

I can understand wanting the original engine that came with the car and they might wind up being a collectors item someday. I think a head swap is ok, but I would want the original block, but having it rebuilt is probably not a good thing. For one disassembly and reassembly will stretch the rod bolts. I think you can get away with once, but more than that they would have to replace the rod bolts at the very least.

JimBobWay

Established Member
Well, I'm gonna have to get mine in to have that TICKING checked. I'm ready to start putting mods in but if Ford has to get some work done, I better let them at it first.

I feel, if the ticking is gonna take a new engine and I can't get a new car, I might as well take it to an engine shop and get 800 HP out of it while it's getting rebuilt...

cobra40

Established Member
The dealer is Helfman Ford in Houston, TX.

The problem is not with them, it is with Ford. They don't have the parts. My service rep is calling and emailing with possible solutions. He's asked for a new engine if he can't get the cam. He's asked Ford to pull a cam off the assembly line, cause it's better to have an engine on the assembly line sitting idle than a customer's car that's been featured in the Entusiast Mag and that a lot of people is watching the outcome.

I suggested getting new cams from Ford Racing, but that would void the warrenty and I don't want that, and I want to keep the car fairly original. Internal engine mods would not bode well for originality. Besides, a dealer wouldn't/couldn't install anything that would void the warrenty.

That was yesterday. I haven't heard anything this A.M. yet. But at this point, it looks like Ford has made me miss out on FFW. I'm not a happy camper! Ford events are few and far between in this part of the country, and to have to miss one just erks the :cuss: outa me!

I've call SVT and they are calling the dealer to see what they can do.

I'll keep ya'll updated.

Last edited:

cobra40

Established Member
I received a return email from SVT. This is how they responded.

"Thanks for the call. I have talked to the dealer and have my man at Romeo engine on the ball. I will have either a cam or more info tomorrow. We should have this resolved in a few days."

I got this response within an hour of my initial contact with SVT.

Wish I woulda thunk of calling these guys earlier.

I'll update here as soon as I hear further...

riplightning

Established Member
I am in Houston and I too have the tick. I am very interested in how this plays out.

I took my car into Joe Myers on Hwy 290 several months ago for the pull to the right and the tick. They fixed the pull, but suggested I wait till the 5,000 mile mark to come back in for the tick. I have been waiting till June and the possible new heads or a TSB before I take it back in. I don't think a retouq will work. Mine seems to be getting a bit louder as miles get put on.

cobraman03

Established Member
does your car tick all the time? i've noticed when i have the vent or ac on when the fan kicks on i hear a tick but i thought it was a loose bracket or something....maybe its in the engine..hope not.

:shrug:

JimBobWay

Established Member
It'll tick all the time without regard to the AC being on or off. Sometimes more noticable than other times.

AC noise - That's another issue. Does anybody have a popping noise when the AC is on? Sound travels funny inside the car so it almost sounds like a backfire in the pipes. If you listen closely, you can tell it's in the AC system. It'll pop when the compressor turns on. Ford says that's normal in 03 cobras. Do many other's have this problem? Driving me crazy...

cobra40

Established Member
You are saying "pop" as A/C comp turns on. Mine made a "clunk". Supposedly this was fixed before the head was removed. I'll find out if I ever get my car back.

The post that starts this thread describes the ticking as constant, directly related to RPM and from start to stop, cold or hot engine. It is all the time.

Nothing yet from SVT. I'm out rest of day so probably won't hear anything till Monday. So I'll enter my Excursion in the FFW car show.

cobra40

Established Member
Well I got a reply from SVT.

Evidently my dealer must have ordered individual parts, cause the guys at Romeo suggested to SVT that my dealer order a "complete" head assembly which are in stock at FCSD, cause the cams just are not available. Guess all the available cams are already installed on the available head assemblies. Nothing wrong with that, no one could have known :shrug: . Said it could be there in a day or two.

Man, there are a lot of people working in this issue; SVT, Romeo and the dealer. They sure are working hard too. Hope the kinks of parts acquistion get worked out on me so ya'll won't have to go thru this.

So, if you bring your cars in for ticking tell the service rep to order the "complete" head assembly, and not individuall parts.

I'll update when I hear more.

Last edited:

CaptK2003

Established Member
Originally posted by JimBobWay
It'll tick all the time without regard to the AC being on or off. Sometimes more noticable than other times.

AC noise - That's another issue. Does anybody have a popping noise when the AC is on? Sound travels funny inside the car so it almost sounds like a backfire in the pipes. If you listen closely, you can tell it's in the AC system. It'll pop when the compressor turns on. Ford says that's normal in 03 cobras. Do many other's have this problem? Driving me crazy...

I have a clunk when the ac compressor kicks in.
This does not bother me too much but I havn't needed the ac for the last 6mo. It will probably climb to the top of my annoyances by mid summer. Right now its the tick and rattle that drive me nuts.

JoeAsheville

Asheville NC-Bohemian Wonderland
Established Member
I can't find my post anymore...but the A/C clunk is normal, you can fix the noise by wrapping the accumulator with some pipe insulation foam available at a home repair store. What it does is insulate the part from the firewall. When the A/C comes on, a slug of freon is sent through the system to the accumulator which causes it to bump the firewall. For a demonstration, idle your car in the driveway with the hood up and the A/C on and watch it cycle on and off...one of the hard lines near the passenger side fender should move appreciably when the A/C kicks in. Follow that line back to the firewall and see a big black metal thing, that's the accumulator which must be insulated from the firewall to eliminate the noise.

riplightning

Established Member
Pointcover, there is a TSB for the tick and I saw it on this board, just do a search for it. The TSB covers doing the retourq but not the replacement of the heads.

Roush97

Established Member
Man I just wish they would fix this ticking problem before I put my engine in my car, its a lot easier to swap the heads out of the car and my car can still be driven with the old engine. I am thinking about getting some SHM heads but I want to know for sure that this is the problem. As far as the AC goes, if you don't use your AC for a long time it will clunk when it is turned on for the first time. This is common on most cars. It is a good idea to run your AC for about 20 minutes every week or so even in the winter.

Users who are viewing this thread