Ticking after new clutch install...

Ninjaeric

Established Member
Ok so after a couple of hours of searching and reading I'm finally asking you guys about this ticking when the clutch is fully released. I just installed Centerforce clutch, Mcleod tob retainer sleeve and ford racing hd tob. If I push in the clutch pedal a little it goes away so I was thinking that the cable is too long now but after reading it sounds like the tob is supposed to be away from the pressure plate when pedal is released. So I adjusted the cable and now it ticks when I start to push in the clutch and goes away after the pedal is pushed in a ways. Has anyone corrected this problem yet? It seems like a lot of people have had this problem after new clutch and sleeve install. I'm frustarated because it seems like I have to either get the ldc clutch cable spring and have the tick when pushing the pedal in or tighten the cable and go through tob's like crazy...PLEASE HELP!!!

Ninjaeric

Established Member
UPDATE...So after I took the cable cover off the clutch fork is shaking pretty bad so now I'm thinking I damaged the pilot bearing during the tranny install.

Last edited:

mustangtw

Established Member
You have the throwout bearing too close to the pp. I had the same problem when I did my clutch with fork and clutch pedal vibration. You need to put some more slack in the cable till the vibration stops. Also if you don't have the ldc freeplay spring, you need to get that. It applies slight tension to the fork keeping the throwout bearing off the pp and it takes some of the sloppiness out of the clutch pedal.

Jefe

Established Member
Get it fixed? My 2nd TOB is whining a bit every now and then. Almost makes me want to go with an Auto....

svtmemo

Established Member
So the TOB is not supposed to ride on the PP. I think I'm having the same ticking issue, that has been driving me crazy. Is there a way to fix, by just using the stock cable....mustangtw, wat is the Idc freeplay spring, where does it go, where can i get one....thanks

Last edited:

mustangtw

Established Member
So the TOB is not supposed to ride on the PP. I think I'm having the same ticking issue, that has been driving me crazy. Is there a way to fix, by just using the stock cable....mustangtw, wat is the Idc freeplay spring, where does it go, where can i get one....thanks

The ldc freeplay spring is used when you have an aftermarket clutch quadrant and firewall adjuster. What it does is keeps tension on the clutch fork so the throwout bearing doesn't ride on the pp fingers. It installs on the clutch cable underneath the car between the bellhousing and clutch fork. Without this you would need to put an excess amount of slack in the clutch cable to keep the throwout bearing off the pp fingers which will result in quite a bit of freeplay at the top of the clutch pedal. It's kind of hard to explain, but the pedal will feel really loose and then all of a sudden you will start to feel tension. With the spring, it sort of just flows together, and gets rid of the dead pedal feeling. You can get the ldc freeplay spring from lethal performance for like $30 bucks shipped.

Users who are viewing this thread