Ticking noise in dash

8URZ-28

Boost Freak
Established Member
For the past 2 weeks I have been hearing a ticking noise coming from the dash when driving. As soon as I push against the vents above the radio the noise stops. I pulled the dash panel and put stops in behind the vents
where it looks like it could be hitting, but it didnt help. I was wondering if anyone has experienced this problem?

05 Roush

Roushcharged
Established Member
8URZ-28 said:
For the past 2 weeks I have been hearing a ticking noise coming from the dash when driving. As soon as I push against the vents above the radio the noise stops. I pulled the dash panel and put stops in behind the vents
where it looks like it could be hitting, but it didnt help. I was wondering if anyone has experienced this problem?

There is a TSB out for this one. It will stop the noise but will also limit the motion of the center vents. Locate a local fabric or furniture restoration store and see if they carry that hard black foam. Cut to size and insert behind the center console bezel. Worked great! :thumbsup:

mj8

Established Member
PlatinumCobra said:
There is a TSB out for this one. It will stop the noise but will also limit the motion of the center vents. Locate a local fabric or furniture restoration store and see if they carry that hard black foam. Cut to size and insert behind the center console bezel. Worked great! :thumbsup:

Can you elaborate on this just a bit. How big of a piece did you cut, did you R&R the center console bezel? Do you happen to have any pics?

Thanks

05 Roush

Roushcharged
Established Member
mj8 said:
Can you elaborate on this just a bit. How big of a piece did you cut, did you R&R the center console bezel? Do you happen to have any pics?

Thanks

No pics (sorry), but I can tell you that you need to cut them into thick enough pieces that they will compress a little when reassembled. It's really trial and error. Remove the bezel. Place the pieces around bezel and center vents. Use a spot of glue (e.g. the Welder) to attach the foam to the dash area and the back of the bezel if needed.. Tap on the bezel. If you hear rattles, place more foam in between the two vents. Then remount the bezel and center the vents and tap on the bezel to check for rattles. Repeat and rinse if necessary.

The key is to get the center bezel and vents tighter so that they're not flopping around. You can observe the loosey goosey affects by noticing your vents will not rattle as much pointing straight up towards the ceiling. They will rattle most when pointing straight towards the back window.

I may pull off the bezel and snap a pic of the foam placement since the radio is being replaced (for the 5th time).

:thumbsup:

bcwang

SVT Enthusiast
Established Member
How do you remove the bezel? Do you just pull on it?

My bezel seems to be loose, if you press on the top corners, it gives about half a centimeter and comes back out when you let go. Is it supposed to rest against some support so that this doesn't happen?

Users who are viewing this thread