Tie rod ends not pressing in!! HELP.

leo2hot4tv

Established Member
Hey guys,

I just bought the XRF front suspension kit. Here's a link:

XRF Ford F150 | Expedition 2wd Ball Joint | Control Arm | Tie Rod End Suspension Rebuild Kit

I was able to install the whole thing, minus the upper arm which I had to purcahse locally due to due to improperly spaced bushings. The problem I'm having is that I can't get the tie rod ends to go in enough for the nut to clear the cotter pin hole. I am having the same problem for both inner and both outers. I am able to get the nut in to the point where the threads almost get past the top but I'm not anywhere near to be able to put in the pin. I have tried using the balljoint press to try and press them in but I didn't push it too far to avoid damaging the tie rod. I've torque the living crap out of them but I don't want to keep going in case the nut gives way. Anyone have this same problem? How can I fix it? What are the torque specs for these?

Any help or suggestion is greatly appreciated.

Blueline

Established Member
You can maybe try freezing them but now that they are in its going to be difficult unless you can get them out without damaging them. GL

WhiTriCobra

PDP
Established Member
2wd is different from 4x4, and you would def tell from the upper control arms. 2wd are smaller. Usually for ball joints, i stick them in the freezer and it usually works. I just did my tie rods but i didn't freeze them and had zero issues. They should just go all they way in. I've never seen any that wouldn't and needed persuasion to fit. Is there a part number for it? if so, reference it on google just to make sure.

Users who are viewing this thread