Tie Rod Ends

uofipilot

Established Member
A few days I made a thread about steering creaking. I ordered the steering rack bushings, just installed new struts today, and I want to change the tie rod ends soon. With 80k, a new set couldn't hurt...

So, what is a good brand of tie rod ends, and how difficult is the install? It looks like you just pull the cotter pin out, take the nut off, hammer it a few times, and the turn it off. Sound about right? Where/what exactly needs to be hammered? I know theres a tool, but can it be done without it?

Thanks in advance.

Tabres

Not without incident
Established Member
Honestly, I just have AutoZone replacements on my car. They've been on there for several years with no problems.

Do make sure to measure before you remove the stock tie-rod end and position the new one back in the same location before you tighten the backing nut down.

And I would encourage you to use an actual tie-rod separator versus hammering them out, but I'm sure you'll probably be ok if you don't. I've just had a problem in the past where I tried to hammer one out and the top of it started to mushroom and I had a hell of a time getting it out then.

PSUCOBRA96

Established Member
have you replaces the steering rack bushings yet? I am curious if they helped the noise, if so I want to do mine as well, how much did the bushings cost and where did you order them from?

Goindeafonmtx

Established Member
A few days I made a thread about steering creaking. I ordered the steering rack bushings, just installed new struts today, and I want to change the tie rod ends soon. With 80k, a new set couldn't hurt...

So, what is a good brand of tie rod ends, and how difficult is the install? It looks like you just pull the cotter pin out, take the nut off, hammer it a few times, and the turn it off. Sound about right? Where/what exactly needs to be hammered? I know theres a tool, but can it be done without it?

Thanks in advance.

I'm assuming you are talking about the outer tie rods. If so, then you have the right idea. They just spin off.

If you just want OEM replacement, try Moog ends. They are serviceable where the stockers are not; meaning they have grease fittings.

If you want to upgrade to aftermarket, MM make a quality bumpsteer kit. You have a choice between two versions, the tapered stud and the bolt through stud. IIRC, the tapered stud is usually good enough for stock K members.

Users who are viewing this thread