Tightening Ball and Socket Exhaust Clamp

FivePointO

Established Member
I recently installed the Borla OTA pipes on my mustang. However, the ball and socket joint where the OTA pipe meets the axleback can still rotate some causing the tip to hit the bumper sometimes. The clamp does not seem as if I can tighten it enough. Even with the clamp tight, it just isn't tight enough to hold the joint rigid.

Has any one else had this problem? The ball and socket are seated perfectly and there are no leaks, but even with the clamp fully tightened, the joint can still rotate some.

I ordered a new clamp in hopes that it will solve this issue. Maybe they stretch out after being taken on and off several times?

evil281

Established Member
You didn't say "clamps" plural so is it just one side? Probably just the factory clamp being slightly too large. I have the full Borla catback and its tight as hell and I Used the factory clamps.

On the other hand my fitment was terrible with this kit to the point I had to cut some of the tube on the xpipe so it could be an issue with the borla pipe not being flared correctly?

Last edited:

GHIG'13

Established Member
If the new clamp doesn't work try folding some aluminum foil into a multi layer strip and use it as a gasket under the clamp. I did this where my headers met the xpipe and it worked great.

FocusSTGuy

Established Member
If the new clamp doesn't work try folding some aluminum foil into a multi layer strip and use it as a gasket under the clamp. I did this where my headers met the xpipe and it worked great.

Ive done that on other cars before and it works like a champ.

FivePointO

Established Member
It is just the driver side clamp. I initially thought the Borla OTA might not be flared correctly, but after looking at it closely it seats perfectly in the axleback, I just cannot get the clamp tight enough to keep the joint from rotating. The clamps are the Torca Swivel Seal clamps (they look identical to the OEM ones) included with the Roush Axleback exhaust. When I first installed the Roush with the stock OTA pipes, the clamp held the joint tight. However, I just can't get it that tight on the driver side with the Borla OTA. I have tried repositioning the clamp multiple times and it seems like every time I undo it and retighten it, it just gets looser. However, the passenger side is nice and tight with no rotation of the joint. When I try to move the passenger side, it is so rigid, it seems like the axleback and OTA pipe are one piece, which keeps the tip aligned perfectly in the bumper unlike the driver side.

Thanks for the replies and if the new clamp doesn't resolve the issue, I will give the foil a shot.

Users who are viewing this thread