Time dor new tranny please help!!

MineralGrey

Established Member
Im beginning to hate this car first the motor goes now the tranny. i think i got ****ed. Any way the tranny has felt fine for ever and all of the sudden it blows the other day. Second gear of course . I think i just want to put a stronger six speed in it but dont know what to get and i dont think i want a used one out of an 03/04. What do you guys suggest and if there any sites please post them. Thanks in advance
-Mike-

Double"O"

N2S come get some
Established Member
a friend of mine just put a TKO 600 in his cobra, I liked it alot, You might as well do it right though forget that POS 3650

i say t56 or TKO 600 (the TKO 600 is a 5 speed)

Torch10th

I make hits
Established Member
yes TKO's are notorious for not dealing with RPM well.

My suggestion is 00R spec t-56 from the ford racing catalog.

Everyone screams viper spec and yes it's a bit stronger but the 00R spec has more aggressive gearing which our cars desperately need.

Double"O"

N2S come get some
Established Member
you'll wanna up the rear end to 4.10s atleast with the 6 speed prolly 4.30s

Ah hell just put 4.56s in her and call it good

droptopsnake01

N/A FTW!
Established Member
yea, a t-56 out of a 03/04 cobra will make your cobra feel like a gearless dog.

I had 4.30's w/ the 3650 and then put a t-56 in it and it felt slow as hell. If your planning on staying N/a I would stick w/ the 5-speed.

Also in that t-56 the final drive in 6th was the same rpm's and the final drive in 5th w/ the 3650.

98powerstang

Established Member
RPMTransmissions is where I will be ordering my T-56. I am getting the Built model there $1400 plus $149 for shipping.

cobraracer46

Banned
A viper spec T56 conversion from www.ddperformance.com , an elite tremec distributor, is rated to over 650 ft pd of torque and it is with out a doubt, the strongest and best trans avalable for our cars. Since the viper spec T56 has a very deep 6th gear, a 4:10 or lower rear end gear is recommended.

Quadcammer

4cams aren't better then1
Established Member
rotfl, 3k for a viper spec t-56 is an awesome choice.

oh wait, you need a new clutch and driveshaft, and shifter, etc.

$3800 tranny swap COOL

The guy has a bolt on 01 cobra, he doesn't need a viper spec anything.

www.rpmtransmissions.com can build you the t-56 you want for MUCH less

MineralGrey

Established Member
Hey quad i am thinking of getting the hevy duty tranny from rpm but i dont know if it will be to much tranny for the mods i have. Also does it bolt right in or do i need anything else? I will be doing gears and probably a cf driveshaft when i put the tranny in

droptopsnake01

N/A FTW!
Established Member
MineralGray said:
Hey quad i am thinking of getting the hevy duty tranny from rpm but i dont know if it will be to much tranny for the mods i have. Also does it bolt right in or do i need anything else? I will be doing gears and probably a cf driveshaft when i put the tranny in

They will sell a kit in order to make it fit.

What are your future plans for the car? blower/nitrous? If you are going to throw alot more power at it then sure get the HD version, if not just a stock T-56 will do fine.
Just get a aluminum driveshaft.

IMOP there is nothing wrong w/ having a strong foundation and being able to build upon that, but if your going to keep your cobra just bolt ons it going to be a waste of money to have a built tranny.

I have had a stock T-56 in my car for about 6months making 520rwhp and its doing fine. I think I drive my car reasonably harder that the "regular" T-56 owner.

MineralGrey

Established Member
i am planning on having a blower in the future but for now it is what it is maybe alittle more bolt ons but thats it until i got enough dough. So i didnt know if that ould be bad

Users who are viewing this thread