Time limit for insurance co to pay.

Bullitt207

Established Member
Back on 8/12/05 someone hit my cargo van which was parked in front of my house. The van was pushed over a fire hydrant and into my fence.

the question I have is, Is there a time limit I can put on his insurance co to give me some money? (can I put pressure on them?)

They won't pay for the van or my fence because they said they need to get all of the damage totaled first. The insurance co is waiting for the city to send them a bill for the fire hydrant.

They also told me all of the damage might exceed the 10k coverage on the policy.

mswaim

Dark Side Poster
Established Member
If they have agreed in theory to pay the claim (and it sounds like they have) then you must allow then a reasonable length of time to effect repairs. Getting an estimate or bill from a municipal department can sometimes take a while - lots of layers and red tape to go through.

I would say if his limit is only $10,000 you might run out of his money before all of your stuff is fixed - and you can bet the city will want their damages fixed first!! Good luck :beer:

Bullitt207

Established Member
bigdog93lx said:
Might have better luck in another forum.

This isn't exactly donut shop material

I know, I wasn't sure where to put it.

Mods can move it if need be.

Thanks all for your info :beer:

FordSVTFan

Oh, the humanity of it all.
Established Member
Bullitt207 said:
Back on 8/12/05 someone hit my cargo van which was parked in front of my house. The van was pushed over a fire hydrant and into my fence.

the question I have is, Is there a time limit I can put on his insurance co to give me some money? (can I put pressure on them?)

They won't pay for the van or my fence because they said they need to get all of the damage totaled first. The insurance co is waiting for the city to send them a bill for the fire hydrant.

They also told me all of the damage might exceed the 10k coverage on the policy.

File a civil suit against the other driver. The fees for special civil part are low and are worth the results.

Remember his insurance is HIS! If he damaged your property that is on him. You can choose to deal with his insurance company or not. So, if you sue him, they will bear the costs of representing him and that will help to motivate them to pay. Plus if the other driver feels that he might have to pony up money as you are suing him, he will encourage his insurance company to get off their ass.

Also you can file a complaint with your state's dept of banking and insurance.

Good Luck

Users who are viewing this thread