Time to put up or shut up

waydeg

Established Member
:fm:
As a new Terminator owner I'm on the verge of completing a family challenge.
For several years, my brother in law has boasted about his 66 Corvette convertible - 427 Powerglide auto trans.
Corvette specs say 390hp but I'm doubtful as my old Hipo 289 was rated at 271hp but was more like 225hp.
He's always been a little snobby about his vette with the occasional remark about my "grocery getters".
I'd like to tell him to put up or shut up. I know he'll gripe about the supercharger but a 427 vs a 4.6 liter? What would you expect? My spin is that we're both rated at 390 HP - so what do you guys think?
I don't want to run my mouth w/o backing it up.
Could I take this vette or do I need to put a few insurance mods on it first?
My Cobra is bone stock.

xtremejc

Boost Addict
Established Member
If you can row the gears without smoking the tires you should have no problem at all... But there is only one way to find out, go race him !!!

FoofKiller

I> /\/\
Established Member
:fm:
As a new Terminator owner I'm on the verge of completing a family challenge.
For several years, my brother in law has boasted about his 66 Corvette convertible - 427 Powerglide auto trans.
Corvette specs say 390hp but I'm doubtful as my old Hipo 289 was rated at 271hp but was more like 225hp.
He's always been a little snobby about his vette with the occasional remark about my "grocery getters".
I'd like to tell him to put up or shut up. I know he'll gripe about the supercharger but a 427 vs a 4.6 liter? What would you expect? My spin is that we're both rated at 390 HP - so what do you guys think?
I don't want to run my mouth w/o backing it up.
Could I take this vette or do I need to put a few insurance mods on it first?
My Cobra is bone stock.

If he gripes about his big block car against a weezy 281 mod motor with a small blower and he gets about 1000lbs weight advantage , tell him to grow a pair , shut up and race. Just be easy on the launch and don't blow off the tires. With traction you should be just fine. If his car is stock, it's a mid 13 second car at best. With a boosted powerband you should easily out MPH him on the big end which is all that matters on the street.

Users who are viewing this thread