Timing kit questions

Myersprostatus

Established Member
Hey guys, I have my motor apart and am replacing the old with the new. I bought the car from some guy who let it run low on oil and the cam seized snapping the timing chain. Everything else in the motor is fine.

Well now to the question. I have a 99 cobra, I just purchased some 96-98 cobra intake cams. Now I am looking for a complete timing kit(new guides, tensioners, chains, sprockets, etc etc) but I can not find a kit anywhere that fits my application. I checked buyfordracing.com and they have a kit, but it says "will not fit 93-98 camshafts". I also checked various sites such as latemodelrestoration and their timing kit will only fit 01-04 cobras. So does anyone know where they sell a kit that fits my application? or a way to make my setup work with one of the kits stated above? Im so close to putting everything back together, Im just held up on this little predicament. \
thanks
-Mitch

na svt

say no to power adders
Established Member
All cam gears will work with 96-98 cams, but they may require the key to be filed to allow the gear to sit flush.

snakeraper11b

Established Member
Modular Mustang Racing

Then follow the order below to get to what you need. Its the 7th product down once youre on the chains/timing/guides section.

Products-Modular engine components-Chains/Timing/Guides.

EDIT: Looks like LMR has it for much cheaper.

Last edited:

Myersprostatus

Established Member
Im actually going to MMR today. Ill see if they have some spares lying around. I jsut dont want to buy the kit on lmr and have them not fit.

RX1Cobra

Established Member
If I were you I would dig deeper into that motor. I can't see how it doesn't have a spun bearing and probably a ton of wear on the at least the exhaust valves/guides if not all of them. One would think if it was run low enough on oil to starve the cam bearings it took out other stuff too. These cars are notorious for spinning a rod bearing when run low on oil. It would suck to go through all of that to have to just pull the motor back apart again. Maybe do a leakdown test at minimum?

Myersprostatus

Established Member
I went to MMR and got a timing kit set up, so its all good!
And in regards to your concern, I have the motor all the way torn down to a bare block. The bearings had some damage, but there is no damage to the journals on the block or to the crankshaft.
How would a leakdown test even help pinpoint a spun bearing?
I dont even have cylinder heads on the block to do a leakdown test.
Just took them to MMR yesterday to get the cam journal machined, get new valve springs/seals, get a valve job, get resurfaced and port n polished :)

RX1Cobra

Established Member
I went to MMR and got a timing kit set up, so its all good!
And in regards to your concern, I have the motor all the way torn down to a bare block. The bearings had some damage, but there is no damage to the journals on the block or to the crankshaft.
How would a leakdown test even help pinpoint a spun bearing?
I dont even have cylinder heads on the block to do a leakdown test.
Just took them to MMR yesterday to get the cam journal machined, get new valve springs/seals, get a valve job, get resurfaced and port n polished :)
OK, well never mind then LOL!. I was saying a leakdown test to check on the condition of the valves but you've already got that covered. Hope you get her running again soon. Sounds like a good time to forge the motor too. :rockon:

Users who are viewing this thread