Timing of first oil and filter change- Which brands and where to purchase

Y2K AG GT

Established Member
Well, I am currently at 133 miles and figured I would do the first oil and filter change at 500 miles. What do you guys think? too early?

Also, I have done some searches for the oil brands and weights you guys use and am now thoroughly confused. What us the consensus on the best oil and filter and where can I get these online for the cheapest price?

soniccobra 03

SONIC SLO POKE
Established Member
I personally didn't change my oil until 3,000 miles and then i put in 5-30 Mobil 1 synthetic and used a Motorcraft filter..Would say this is a very good combination.............happy hunting................enjoy.

03cobrablack

Where is the KABOOM ????
Established Member
Did mine right at 500 miles you will get differing opinions on if you need to change it before 3000 miles or not .to me it was worth the little cost for a little peice of mind . I went with motorcraft 5w20 untill 5000 miles and then swithed to 5w30 Mobil 1 with a motorcraft filter.Waiting untill later to switch to full synthetic is another thread all together. I say its your car do some research and do what makes you most comfortable...

2K3BRA

Established Member
I'm gonna keep using stock oil. Just becuase I'm cheap. And if it breaks **** it they better warranty it. :D

I'm not sure if the first owner changed it before he traded it at 3K. But the 2nd day I had it with 3K on the clock I changed it for Motorcraft 5W-20 and a motorcraft filter. I'm gonna keep doing the same every 3K.

AMB

Established Member
Y2K AG GT

It depends HOW you drive !! If you do a lot of CITY stop amd go driving, you need to change tthe oil more often, and if is STOCK or MODDED. I would change the oil as FORD says to for the FIRST oil change, THEN change to a FULL synthetic oil. I like/run CASTROL 5w50 SYNTEC. You can get it just about anywhere and it is cheaper and about just as good as ALL the other HIGH priced OILS. I have a KB at 23 lbs. and have no problems with the oil. The temps in TX get VERY HOT, so I would go with the 5w50 oil.

AMB

DPS

Established Member
I split the difference and did my first change at 1500. 1-800-fordsvt said to wait until 5000 before going to full synthetic. For me, it will be mobil 1.

:beer:

hj16

Established Member
I did the first oil change at 2500miles. With both the GT and now the Cobra I haven't had any problems with waiting 2500-3000miles for the first oil change.

The Cobra's next one will be at 5000 with the same oil, then at 8000 I'll switch to a synthetic. I want to give it plenty of time to break in with a thick oil.

Cobra10thaniv

Established Member
Oil & filter is about as cheap as it gets for maint if your doing it. Considering how much our cars or even the engines cost. I throw the car up on the Lift after every car show for cleaning and change mine every 500 miles its on the lift anyhow. But Im on the other end of of how far people go out on changes. I like my oil comming out clear. I noticed once i ran it to 800 and already started to pick up color.

What ever you use, dont be cheap just keep to a reg interval of of cpl of thousand miles.

We put on lots of miles on our cars I change daily drivers at 2,000 and have hit 300,000 on a few of our cars before retiring to light duty. It proves it to me to change freq. IMHO

stangin

Established Member
Originally posted by Cobra10thaniv
Oil & filter is about as cheap as it gets for maint if your doing it. Considering how much our cars or even the engines cost. I throw the car up on the Lift after every car show for cleaning and change mine every 500 miles its on the lift anyhow. But Im on the other end of of how far people go out on changes. I like my oil comming out clear. I noticed once i ran it to 800 and already started to pick up color.

What ever you use, dont be cheap just keep to a reg interval of of cpl of thousand miles.

We put on lots of miles on our cars I change daily drivers at 2,000 and have hit 300,000 on a few of our cars before retiring to light duty. It proves it to me to change freq. IMHO

I agree, just change it.. Hard to go wrong with any oil on the market these days, stick with a good name brand. I dont like Penzoil or Quakerstate. I am using the ford oil filter and Castrol GTX 5w 30, but I change it every 1500 miles. If you use a fancy synthetic be sure to change it often.. I dont buy the synthetic 7500 mile oil change intervals at all, 2000 - 3000 at the most, synthetic or not. If you do use synthetic dont go synthetic for about 8000 miles, give everything pleanty of time to seat in properly first. I would do what Ford recommends for the first 10,000 miles if you want to keep the warantee incase you have any issues.

dolphinron

Established Member
I am going by the Ford manual and changing it at 5000 and every 5000 after that. Going to use Ford recommended oil and Filter. I'm sure there will be no problems.

StreetSnake

Established Member
5000 miles thats pretty scary. Oil changes are the cheapest insurance you can buy. BTW good place to buy the Motorcraft oil and filters is Wal-Mart 5w-20w blend runs about 1.80 qt. and the filters FL820s is about 2.97 hard to beat:beer:

Matt M PA

Established Member
I called SVT about this, and they said to change it at 1000 for the first time. They also saids not to switch to synthetic until 5 or 6,000 miles.

They also recommended (big surprise) their 5-20 synth blend. They would not recommend other weights, like Mobil 1's new 0-20, although it would seem to me that a thinner oil would be better in the cold for start-up.

I am sticking with the Motorcraft 5-20 blend and a Motorcraft filter. I use Mobil 1 filters and oil in my Bronco and Viper and think it is the best...but I'll stick with what Ford said for the Cobra.

Finally, changing the oil, especially synthetics, just because it looks dirty is just wasting oil and money. Having darker oil is not a problem, it's a by-product of the oil doing it's job. Synthetics will lubricate for a long, long, time, even if they "look" dirty. That said, I change oil every 3000 miles in my cars.

03 svtvenom

Repent!!!
Established Member
I have posted this on here before and I will post it again. I changed mine at 460 miles using a new yellow drain pan I bought at autozone. After I poured the used oil into a 5 gallon jug that I keep it in I looked at the bottom of the drain pan. YUCK!! There was black and a few metallic looking shavings in the bottom of the pan. I was so glad that I changed it then!! Changed it again at 890 miles and not as much shavings as before but still visable. It makes it much easier when using a lighter colored drain pan to see how the oil looks. I dont understand why some owners spend so much on their car in mods but wont spend 30-60$ for an oil change.

Cobra10thaniv

Established Member
Waiting for 5000 would not be the best idea especially for the intial break in period. But the others maybe the guys think your keeping your car for a long time. If you not well its up to you. dont change you wont have your car long enough.

Personally I have rebuilt so many motors with problems because of wear from not changing the oil. But if your not keeping the car long juess what does it matter. If your keeping it change it at least at 3,000

As far as what changes the oil dark the main cause it the cast Iron block breathing contaiminats into the oil. That one of the reason why euro cars epoxy coat the block besides the oil drain back reason.

SVT does recomend the 5w20 you have to remember they know it will last its tested at full rpms for some 400 hrs on a dyno to simulate 100,000 miles. As with any thing there are things that exceed manufacture recomendation. Ford really cant say anything other than 5w20 they tested and know it will last.

In the comerical circle. I use syn lub on everthing from grease to oil. The oil though I do oil anaylisis on the oil wich tells me how much metals ( wear going on and could cause wear) and anti oxidents are left and other things.

Remember though Im putting in maybe 4,000 dollars of oil when changing is goin on. So you do try to get the MAX life out of the oil.

In this case my car is 44,500 and oil and filer is $14.50 on sale and walmart. Like I try to tell my daughter change, damage is NOT REVERSABLE. Its not like a cut on your arm, damage to brgs and cyl are done end of story.

The other thing is mentioned in your manual is that if your in short trips or dusty change more often about 3000. Its one of those things a person doesnt realise how much condensation a car oil has to burn off from trips.

Users who are viewing this thread