Timing question??? Spark knock???

stroker342gt

Established Member
Ive recently put a 04 mach 1 motor in a 99 cobra chassis with a 99 computer. Now im getting spark knock at about 2500 rpm and the realtime display is showing 42 degrees advance. Car starts overheating soon there after. Everything in cooling system is new, fuel is fresh 93 octane, fuel filter and pump are new, all spark plugs are new. Curious if anyone has any idea what kind of real time timing these motors have on them stock? Even with a slight tune what kind of timing they have? i know these motors have higher compression pistons. . . .Please help.

Socal Mach

300+ club
Established Member
Are you wanting closed loop?

Edit: Had to verify before I posted because I couldn't remember but your timing is typical. Mine is around 42ish when just cruising.

Last edited:

Socal Mach

300+ club
Established Member
The crossover tube is circled, the blue arrow is pointing to where the plug is. Just use a 1/4" drive to get it out and fill thru there with the front end elevated. Just keep filling as the engine is running.

You shouldn't have anymore heating issues as long as everything else is working.

paint020.jpg

na svt

say no to power adders
Established Member
Ive recently put a 04 mach 1 motor in a 99 cobra chassis with a 99 computer. Now im getting spark knock at about 2500 rpm and the realtime display is showing 42 degrees advance. Car starts overheating soon there after. Everything in cooling system is new, fuel is fresh 93 octane, fuel filter and pump are new, all spark plugs are new. Curious if anyone has any idea what kind of real time timing these motors have on them stock? Even with a slight tune what kind of timing they have? i know these motors have higher compression pistons. . . .Please help.

The ignition timing requirements for Mach and cobra engines are very different. The Mach requires much less advance at both part and WO throttle. Most dyno tuned Mach's will have no more tha 22-23 deg advance at full throttle while under load, any more and they will ping.

Take it out on the road and check the timing at full throttle.

The pistons in the Mach are exactly the same as the pistons in the 96-01 cobras. The change in compression ratio, .2 increase, is due to the combustion chamber volume...but that increase is negligeable.

Did you fill the cooling system at the crossover? if not, remove the plug, start the engine and add coolant/water.

Socal Mach

300+ club
Established Member
Read the posts!!

Don't take it full tilt until you get the over heating fixed.

NASVT, you are giving this guy advice to run WOT and then ask if he filled the coolant through the crossover?

Users who are viewing this thread