Timing

~CASPER~

Established Member
Maybe a dumb question but im not really sure whats a good timing to run on our trucks. Dynoed at 390 and 490 running 93 oct with 18* timing. Motor and fuel is stock but is this a safe timing. Seems a bit high to what everybody else is running. I see alot of 14* for street. A/F is 13.4 at WOT. What do you guys recommend. Should i get this changed? :shrug:

Hollywoood

Protected by GLOCK...
Established Member
I've been told that 13.4 a/f is in the danger zone should be somewhere in the 11s.....Timing from what I've heard should be around 14* on a conservative tune.. I am no expert on this tho, since I am fighting my own problems with my truck!! Just repeating what I have been told. :shrug:

Ryan

Hollywoood

Protected by GLOCK...
Established Member
That looks wayyyy better!:) With that a/f and 14* timing you should be pretty close..... From what I've heard.. ;-)

Ryan

SvtFireFighter

03SvtFireFighter
Established Member
You can bump the fuel a little but 18* is pretty hot. I run 18* at the track if Im running just motor and 12* on the juice. 11.5 is pretty safe

FordFanStan

Established Member
11.4:1 A/F is pretty conservative. Ideal is 11.7:1 WOT A/F . You do not want over 12.0:1 even though some guys have their race tunes set around 12.2:1 but it is cutting it close. Why take a chance? Looks like your in a state that seves 93 or 94 octane as premium grade; so you should be safe with 15* timing on your street tune, but I wouldnt go over that IMHO. 18* is way overboard for a street tune and you should get it adjusted.... my .02 cents, Stan

~CASPER~

Established Member
Can I adjust the timing with the diablo tuner myself? If so, how and will it effect the tune or A/F with a power lose? Ill turn it down to 15* if i can and will make it more safe. Thanks

Fade 2 Black

Gen 2 Diehard
Established Member
You can adjust it via global spark or in 1-3.5K and 3.5-6K rpm ranges. The easiest would be to remove it from global spark which removes timing throughout the curve not just WOT. I think if you add/remove it under WOT rpm range it only removes peak timing but I'm not 100%. It will not affect a/f but you will notice a slight loss in throttle response and you will lose minimal power.

Users who are viewing this thread