Tips for a track newbie?

SBVERT03

Established Member
Hey guys,

I'm hoping to go to the track for the first time either this week or next. My car has a 2.3 TVS, IRS, and a stock(!!!) clutch. In preparation for this I also bought some Bogarts and bias ply slicks and front runners.

Do you guys have any good tips or suggestions for a newbie to try to help me from making a fool of myself? I was thinking the first pass or so I'll just leave off idle and see what the car does. Also, maybe a very stupid question, but since I'll have bias ply front runners and slicks, should I drive around or through the burnout box?

Thanks guys!

ITSTOCK

Established Member
Don't be afraid to break it if you are worried about getting a good time.

Air the slicks down to 14#'s. Do a 4-5 second 5000RPM burnout, just on the edge of the water box (don't go around the water box). This is a really low launch, but try slipping the clutch quickly at 2500rpms for the first time (if you do it slowly you are going to burn up your clutch, and if you dump it at 2500 you are going to bog). You can up it from there. Leaving from idle is going to be a waste.

Don't shift early, I don't know what your powerband looks like but you should probably be shifting around 6700. Keep your foot down and have fun! Don't get discouraged about your times, just keep getting better.

roy_1031

roy1031
Established Member
I'd start at 14psi as well and adjust accordingly and drive through the water box as well. Do a second gear burnout. If you feel the rear end start to hop back out immediately or breakage will follow. You shouldn't have that problem tho on the slicks. I would start at 3500 RPMs and slip the clutch out. Do you have any work done to the IRS? Focus on your lane and your light. Clock doesn't start moving till after you move, it will just have a really long reaction time. You can focus on your launch get that dialed in then work on reaction time later. I know the tracks I go to, one lanes always better than the other. Maybe ask around the pits and try n get into that lane. Take a friend and get them a wrist band so they can help you get to the front of the water box and let you know when your burnout is good enough. They will let them walk on the burnout staging area of the track with the wrist band?

What else is done to your car? What kind of fuel and fuel setup are you on? How much boost? Any suspension upgrades? I'm on bogarts as well. Post up some track pics on the drag setup when you get a chance. Good luck and have fun out there. Drive it like you stole it!!! :beer:

SBVERT03

Established Member
Well tonight I finally got to the track. It was a humbling learning experience for sure. Haha.

The first run was about as horrible as it could get. Apparently I was so nervous that my hands were drenched in sweat. I went to shift from second to third and my hand/shifter were so wet that my hand slipped right off the shifter and I missed third. Lol. Needless to say I ran an embarrassingly slow time.

The second run went a bit better and I ran an 11.4 at 120.

The third and final run was going even better until I went to shift to fourth near the end of the track and instead of clicking into place it ground bad so I coasted through the finish line. I ended up running an 11.34 at 112 lol.

Overall i had a great time and I can't wait to go back. I really only got one clean run in (and even then I'm sure my shifting was crappy), so I'm hoping that's why my trap speed was so low.

Next time I will also definitely bring some wire to jump my intercooler pump between runs, because I noticed the car didn't cool down as much as I thought it would and I wonder if I was dealing with some heatsoak. (I also had about an hour drive to get to the track).

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com

Last edited:

roy_1031

roy1031
Established Member
Well tonight I finally got to the track. It was a humbling learning experience for sure. Haha.

The first run was about as horrible as it could get. Apparently I was so nervous that my hands were drenched in sweat. I went to shift from second to third and my hand/shifter were so wet that my hand slipped right off the shifter and I missed third. Lol. Needless to say I ran an embarrassingly slow time.

The second run went a bit better and I ran an 11.4 at 120.

The third and final run was going even better until I went to shift to fourth near the end of the track and instead of clicking into place it ground bad so I coasted through the finish line. I ended up running an 11.34 at 112 lol.

Overall i had a great time and I can't wait to go back. I really only got one clean run in (and even then I'm sure my shifting was crappy), so I'm hoping that's why my trap speed was so low.

Next time I will also definitely bring some wire to jump my intercooler pump between runs, because I noticed the car didn't cool down as much as I thought it would and I wonder if I was dealing with some heatsoak. (I also had about an hour drive to get to the track).

Ha that's funny. I've punched my radio once or twice trying to slam 3rd, I understand the butterflies. What were your 60' times looking like?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jrichber

browser
Established Member
Those are good numbers for first time out. Heck I was running high 12's last year when I went and also missed a gear my first run. Had a 12.8 at 105 and a 12.8 at 118. My 60' on dr's was awful though. 2.4 seconds.

SBVERT03

Established Member
My 60' got a bit better each run but I feel like my technique can use a lot of improvement. I'm hoping it just comes with seat time. First run was a 2.2. I slipped the clutch around 3000 rpm and it bogged. The second run I went up to 4000 rpm and got a 1.85. The third run I slipped the clutch at 4500 and got it down to 1.7.

Last edited:

SBVERT03

Established Member
I would bet if you didnt miss 4th on that last run you'd of run a bottom 11. What kinda power does your car make?

Yeah that's what I was thinking. Frustrating! It made around 620/560 if I remember right. So I'm thinking if I could drive worth a darn and cool it down it should run in the 10's and trap a lot higher.

Sent from my iPhone using the svtperformance.com mobile app

roy_1031

roy1031
Established Member
Yeah that's what I was thinking. Frustrating! It made around 620/560 if I remember right. So I'm thinking if I could drive worth a darn and cool it down it should run in the 10's and trap a lot higher.

Those are stout numbers. Do you have an upgraded intercooler reservoir? Take some ice and stuff it in the tank before a run and get the water nice and cool/cold. Drain some of the water out first to make room for the ice.

apex svt

MEAN STREAK
Established Member
Those are stout numbers. Do you have an upgraded intercooler reservoir? Take some ice and stuff it in the tank before a run and get the water nice and cool/cold. Drain some of the water out first to make room for the ice.

This!^^^ I usually spend about 45min between runs cooling my car down. I'll go though 20lbs of Ice in 2-3 passes. But it helps substantially, I put a valve on the ic tank and ran a hose that sticks out 1/2in under the bumper to make it easy to drain and catch the water.
First time out of the year I always have the jitters too, you're not the only one!

SBVERT03

Established Member
Do you guys think my low trap speed (120, on my "clean" run) could be low just because of my shifting? Other than that I'm guessing it would have to be due to my clutch slipping? I haven't really noticed it while driving or at the track, but my tuner did mention it slipping some on the dyno when the car was tuned a few years ago.

The only other thing I've changed on the car since getting it tuned is the belt. I went to a gator back to try and fix a squeal but the belt is about .5" longer than the previous one. I hadn't noticed it slipping but I guess that's something to consider too.

roy_1031

roy1031
Established Member
Do you guys think my low trap speed (120, on my "clean" run) could be low just because of my shifting? Other than that I'm guessing it would have to be due to my clutch slipping? I haven't really noticed it while driving or at the track, but my tuner did mention it slipping some on the dyno when the car was tuned a few years ago.

The only other thing I've changed on the car since getting it tuned is the belt. I went to a gator back to try and fix a squeal but the belt is about .5" longer than the previous one. I hadn't noticed it slipping but I guess that's something to consider too.

Does it smell like the clutch is slipping? Belt slip could be a very possible scenario. That would kill your trap speed too.

fireman02

Established Member
You should be trapping around 127-130 mph. My previous cobra was a 2.3 whipple, solid axle, pump gas, 610hp & 570tq and my best on 315/35/17 dr's was a 11.40 @ 127. I couldn't get it to hook if I left any higher than idle. With your slicks and a little drive time you should be able to see low 11's/high 10's.

SBVERT03

Established Member
I trap 122mph with a ported upper lower car. Mph seems low to me

Yeah that's what I thought too. But I just haven't had enough clean runs to know if it's me or something is going on. I'm going to try to pick up a smaller belt before next time and see if that helps any. If not then I'm thinking it's got to be my clutch, although I didn't really notice that fried clutch smell at the track.

Rambro

Established Member
Just keep chipping away at it and don't get too discouraged. My first time at the track with the 2.3 I went on opening night (no prep) and never got to make a clean pass, it just blew through the tires. There are a lot of variables that could be affecting your trap. I think you would be able to feel/hear belt slip but def look into it. Pack the IC tank with ice and make sure it's cooled off before you go to the lanes and you're trap will go up significantly. My car did 130 mph on DR's.

Jmurrz

Established Member
You should be trapping around 127-130 mph. My previous cobra was a 2.3 whipple, solid axle, pump gas, 610hp & 570tq and my best on 315/35/17 dr's was a 11.40 @ 127. I couldn't get it to hook if I left any higher than idle. With your slicks and a little drive time you should be able to see low 11's/high 10's.

Agreed, I trapped 127 with my SRA 2.3 Whipple car. I would assume the TVS should do similar numbers. Something is not quite right.

Something I would do is leave the car running in the staging lanes. You will see a lot of guys turning them off, but I found that my IAT2's were hotter if I shut the car off for a few minutes. They were cooler if I just left the car running. My car was pulling timing and I was trapping 121-123.

Another thing I would do is log the run. Your tuner should be able to tell you what to look for, but they can see clutch slip on a data log.

SBVERT03

Established Member
Thanks for all the replies guys! Weather permitting I'll be heading back to the track this week to see if I can improve and get that trap speed up.

I'm going back to the smaller belt, and I'm going to drain the intercooler and run water and ice this time. I'm guessing just straight distilled water is the way to go? I'll also be using a pump jumper wire between passes.

Then if my trap speed doesn't improve I'll definitely look into logging the run.

Users who are viewing this thread