Tips for installing mech. water temp gauge

SublimeRT

'94 Slooowbraa
Established Member
Hi everyone, I did some searching on here for a few hours and still haven't come up with the info I'm looking for.

I just got a mechanical water temp. gauge and boost gauge. I read about the boost gauge and that's not problem. But where to screw in the probe for the temp. gauge is what I can't find out. I saw a lot of people suggesting the crossover pipe, but I don't know if they were referring to an electrical gauge or not. Also it was said that mounting it in the crossover pipe disabled a bleeder for the coolant system, which I don't want to do.

If anyone knows where to mount the probe for the water temp. gauge, I'd appreciate it. Also if I'll need any specific fittings or anything to mount it. It's the Autometer Ultra-Lite 120 to 240 degree mechanical water temp. gauge if that helps. At the end of the probe itself, there is a blue anodized fitting screwing into a larger red anodized fitting. I don't know if they're color coded according to size or what. Measuring with a ruler to get a ball park size, it's about 3/4" diameter where the threads are and about 7/8" where the hex part is.

Last question. I'm going to use an add-a-circuit with a 10 amp fuse into the #37 fuse for the wiring of the boost gauge. Would it be possible to hook up both the boost and water temp. gauge to the same add-a-circuit? How would I do that?

Thanks,
Blaise

Fang

Established Member
I also have the same predicament. I haven't figured that out yet. As far as the add a circuit, yes you can add to the same. I did for mine and works great. I wish someone would chime in on this.

Dana

Bluesmobile
Established Member
Funny you should mention this.

I just spoke to dgussin last night about this same problem.

You need the 3/8 inch adapter fitting for the gauge. It isn't included in the kit, but is available from Autometer.
Part number is: 2263 3/8" Brass NPT Temp Adapter

You can install the probe in the block on the drivers side toward the rear, just below the head. There is a 3/8 inch pipe plug there, usually painted blue.

It looks like this, but 3/8 inch instead of 1/2 pipe, which is what you probably have.

002372.jpg

You can find the part here:
Autometer Accessories

A regular pipe bushing will not work because of the tapered seat inside.

Dana

Last edited:

SublimeRT

'94 Slooowbraa
Established Member
Thanks guys. I'm going to go install the gauges now, but I'm not going to mess with the probe right now since it's snowing here and I have a gravel driveway with no garage. I'll just go wire them up. Once I get that probe in though, I'll be sure to tell how I did it.

jimh

Established Member
There's a guy on the svtoa.org site that used to sell fittings for the crossover tube. I got the mechanical one from him. It's a nice peice, o-ringed and all. Not sure if he still sells them.

BLK03SVT10TH

Mods? What Mods??
Established Member
I can tell you from experience that any adapter with an NPT Thread on it will not seal properly in the Crossover Tube. I made one that worked perfectly for the Electrical Sending Unit, I guess I could make a different one for the Mechanical. Let me know if there is any interest.

Last edited:

SublimeRT

'94 Slooowbraa
Established Member
Just an update. I fished the water temp probe wire through the jungle of a dashboard that these damn cars have then went to go put the pod in only to remember that I needed to put the probe wire through the pod FIRST, THEN fish the ****ing thing through the dash. So I go to take it out and it WILL NOT COME OUT FOR ANYTHING. I've been ****ing with it for a good while freezing my ass off outside.

I just love how I can install things and have them not come out for anything when I go to take them out. It happens to me all too often. :cuss: :cuss: :fm: :fm:

Users who are viewing this thread