Tips? Haven't started gt500 in 2 years...

brisk_tea

Established Member
I'm hoping to start my gt500 here in the next week or 2. The problem is i haven't started it in around 2 years. I took it apart for headers & had to get surgery, heal, redo surgery, heal; etc etc.

And 2 years go by in the blink of an eye.

No distributor, so i can't build oil pressure. Any ideas on some things i should do, so i don't cause myself an expensive mistake.

I changed oil before sitting, & the suspension has been unloaded.

Thanks for any suggestions & yes i'll be driving the wheels off to make up time.

04-OW-COBRA

Established Member
You can build oil pressure before you start it. 2 ways, first get in the car and hold the gas pedal to the floor while trying to start, keep it on the floor the whole time. Engine will turn over but car won't start. Second way is the disconnect the crank shaft position sensor and the car will turn over but not start.

PistolWhip

Resident Man Dime
Established Member
Two years is a long time. It may be overkill, but if it were mine, I'd pull the cam covers off and oil the valve train manually. I'd probably also pull the fuel pump relay, pull the plugs out and put a small amount of oil into each cylinder then crank it a few times to lube the upper cylinders before putting the plugs and fuel pump relay back in.
Other than that, there's not much else you can do. Just fire it up and let it run for a while. The oil should be changed shortly after, 2 years of sitting in the pan has probably degraded it and built up some condensation with temperature changes.

fullboogie

Established Member
I would not run the gas that's been sitting in the tank for 2 years. And I would pull the pump hat and look at the pumps/tank to be sure there's no corrosion. I've been there, as my car sat for several years before I bought it. It ain't pretty what can happen in there.

20130505_140311_zpsaf96b9c8.gif

20130506_091903_zps4466bc34.gif

Last edited:

fullboogie

Established Member
^^^And I only found the problem after noticing FP duty cycles pegging on my Interceptor. If I hadn't been monitoring it, I could have lost the engine.

brisk_tea

Established Member
Two years is a long time. It may be overkill, but if it were mine, I'd pull the cam covers off and oil the valve train manually. I'd probably also pull the fuel pump relay, pull the plugs out and put a small amount of oil into each cylinder then crank it a few times to lube the upper cylinders before putting the plugs and fuel pump relay back in.
Other than that, there's not much else you can do. Just fire it up and let it run for a while. The oil should be changed shortly after, 2 years of sitting in the pan has probably degraded it and built up some condensation with temperature changes.

I was thinking something along these lines would probably be best. I just wanted to put it out there so i wouldn't forget about an aspect.

I ran stabil through it the last time it ran, & i ran the gas almost empty. I forgot about the ethanol percentage & that associated crap. I probably should pull the hat and/or drop tank.

Thanks everyone

fullboogie

Established Member
Running the gas to almost empty is the worst thing you can do, because it leaves room for moisture and condensation - which is what caused my problem. If I ever had to store my car, I'd leave the tank completely full. Pull the hat just to be sure and have the peace of mind. Good luck!

rotor_powerd

Established Member
Premium Member
You can build oil pressure before you start it. 2 ways, first get in the car and hold the gas pedal to the floor while trying to start, keep it on the floor the whole time. Engine will turn over but car won't start. Second way is the disconnect the crank shaft position sensor and the car will turn over but not start.

Do this but pull the plugs. The compression from having the plugs in will still load the bearings before they get oil.

Other than that, change the oil and the gas and you should be good.

brisk_tea

Established Member
Yes i was definitely going to pull the plugs.

I checked, & it's around 1/2 tank of gas according to gauge. But i also forgot about the 2 sides we have to deal with. Which means one side could have more than other (i think).

Either way i'm going to spend the time to rip everything apart to hopefully prevent any problems.

Thanks for all the suggestions & hopefully i don't have any real problems. But if i do, the. That's my excuse for an updated fuel system

Users who are viewing this thread