tips/recommendations locking bolt or aftermarket bolt vs. OE inake/intercoolr/blwr?

4vmn12

Perpetual project creator
Established Member
I'm about to swap my rotors into a Posi ported case. The idea of bolts coming loose inside my intake does not appeal to me. :dw:

Anybody have fastener recommendations for bolting the intake/intercooler/blower back together? I believe these are m5 bolts for the intercooler. I have heard of some using lock-wires, or similar measures to avoid this kind of failure. I've searched and in general it seems the consensus is to use a superior aftermarket fastener to the stock piece, but I haven't found any example part numbers or links for tried-true options. I'm thinking to use lock-tite blue as well.

anyone have a recommended/proven fastener solution with P/N and source?

also do you use RTV to seal the intercooler, intake, etc? or is a re-usable gasket available/preferred? (just seems like less opportunity for error)

Thanks in advance for any tips.

Last edited:

Senkak

SVT Poster
Established Member
I'm about to swap my rotors into a Posi ported case. The idea of bolts coming loose inside my intake does not appeal to me. :dw:

Anybody have fastener recommendations for bolting the intake/intercooler/blower back together? I believe these are m5 bolts for the intercooler. I have heard of some using lock-wires, or similar measures to avoid this kind of failure. I've searched and in general it seems the consensus is to use a superior aftermarket fastener to the stock piece, but I haven't found any example part numbers or links for tried-true options. I'm thinking to use lock-tite blue as well.

anyone have a recommended/proven fastener solution with P/N and source?

also do you use RTV to seal the intercooler, intake, etc? or is a re-usable gasket available/preferred? (just seems like less opportunity for error)

Thanks in advance for any tips.

I have never heard of an IC bolt coming loose in the intake manifold.
Stock bolts and loctite work fine.
Use RTV between the IC and blower.
Stock gaskets between the blower and intake.
Stock gaskets between the intake and heads.
Be sure to clean the IC.
Easy stuff.

4vmn12

Perpetual project creator
Established Member
I have never heard of an IC bolt coming loose in the intake manifold.
Stock bolts and loctite work fine.
Use RTV between the IC and blower.
Stock gaskets between the blower and intake.
Stock gaskets between the intake and heads.
Be sure to clean the IC.
Easy stuff.

I have a 1 gallon container of super clean, and 5 cans of non-chlorinated brake clean. IC is getting cleaned tonight! Thanks :)

Ok well I had read threads about people stating that TS blowers come with higher quality bolts and some upgrading to grade8 aftermarket bolts.

I need to buy a set of bolts either way, thanks for your insight.

Senkak

SVT Poster
Established Member
Upgrading the stock bolts definitely couldn't hurt.
The biggest problem is the stockers breaking on removal.
I have been lucky as mine have been removed and reused many many time with no problems.

Users who are viewing this thread