Tire and Wheel Fitment

TREADMARKS

Established Member
How about a little help with a tire wheel fitment package.

Vehicle is a 96 Cobra that was lowered with steeda goodies. I lifted the car from slammed to about an inch higher than stock. Due to the new mission for the vehicle I had to lift it to get some ground clearance. GMS adjustable lowers in the rear with factory GT coils. Up front I installed UPR K-member with adjustable coil overs and tubular A arms. My 17x9 tires up front are just touching the UPR coil around the tokiko strut. I ordered billet 0.250" spacers to gain a little clearance between the coil and tire.

Here is how the car sits now:

cobra-1.jpg

Now I need to fill up the fender wells with tires.

I found a staggered set of 4 new Front 17 x 9" - 24mm / Rear 17 x 10.5" - 27mm Morxchn Gunmetal Mustang Cobra R style deep dish wheels from O E Wheels on ebay. How tall of a tire will go inside the fenders before contact.

I know I'm going against the grain here by lifting my cobra to start with, but there is a lot of experience here and I need to know if the quality of the wheel is good and how big of a tire can I get in there.

Just think of it as a rally type cobra.

Thanks in advance for any and all help.

PSUCOBRA96

Established Member
what are you trying to do with ther ca so we know your direction of how to help you here, cause im confused

TREADMARKS

Established Member
what are you trying to do with ther ca so we know your direction of how to help you here, cause im confused

High speed back road blaster. Combination of paved, packed dirt and gravel. Most of the roads do not get the level of maintenance they need and they are in pretty bad shape and full of surprises.

Helomech74

Established Member
I'm surprised that your tire was touching the coil in the front. Is this because you raised the car? What size tires are currently on the car front and rear? As for those wheels you listed, they are the same as all the other replica wheels as far as quality goes. They are a cast aluminum wheel with cheap coatings on them. Not sure I would use them for blasting down a dirt road though (they are low pressure cast, so there is a lot of pitting and irregularities in the aluminum after they are cast.)

dezertcobra

Established Member
so you want to run a dukes of hazard style car..i like the idea...I would recommend the smallest wheel that will fit around the brakes with the tire with the highest sidewall and a little narrower for the most cushion. maybe you could try a set of late model ranger or explorer wheels 16 or 17 with more of a utility tire. i belive they are the same bolt pattern but not sure on backspacing. keep us posted

TREADMARKS

Established Member
I'm surprised that your tire was touching the coil in the front. Is this because you raised the car? What size tires are currently on the car front and rear? As for those wheels you listed, they are the same as all the other replica wheels as far as quality goes. They are a cast aluminum wheel with cheap coatings on them. Not sure I would use them for blasting down a dirt road though (they are low pressure cast, so there is a lot of pitting and irregularities in the aluminum after they are cast.)

Not quite touching, but too close for comfort. Since this is my first coil over conversion, I don't know if it is the norm or not. I have 17x9 R replica wheels on all 4 corners now, not sure of the tire size currently on it. Could be the backspacing of the wheel as I had minor contact with the steeda fat sway bar before the conversion. The billet .250" spacers came in last night, so they will go on today.

TREADMARKS

Established Member
so you want to run a dukes of hazard style car..i like the idea...I would recommend the smallest wheel that will fit around the brakes with the tire with the highest sidewall and a little narrower for the most cushion. maybe you could try a set of late model ranger or explorer wheels 16 or 17 with more of a utility tire. i belive they are the same bolt pattern but not sure on backspacing. keep us posted

I am glad someone other than me mentioned general lee.

LSPR_IMG_6944.JPG

16s are tight, just have to watch out for tape on weights making contact with the caliper.

17x9 and 17x10.5 is what I am looking for, just need to iron out the backspacing and tire sizes.

Users who are viewing this thread