Tire question - Daily Driver

Eric03Cobra

Established Member
Ok, here it is. I know how most people feel about topics that seem to be posted to death. It is my intent to have this one be different.

I've read post till my eyes go crossed on tires. Most however deal with tires geared towards the drag strip.

I'm looking for information on tires with respect to a daily driver.

I've got 22,000 miles on the stock F1s and they are now ready to be changed out. I think their decent tires for the way I drive but want a bit more. I don't drag race (other than the occasional stop light run), rarely smoke the tires, but I do spirited drives on the back roads frequently and quite a bit of long highway drives. I'd love to be able to autocross some this year, but don't know how realistic that desire is with my work schedule.

Like I said, this is pretty much my Daily Driver during all but the winter months (have the SuperCrew 4x4 for that). I want something with grip, decent wet traction, and the best tread life for a performance tire I can get.

Right now, I’m looking at the following tires (probably in this order) but want your feedback and suggestions:

Nitto 555 Extreme Performance (Not the 555R or the 555R II) tread ware 300 (Tire Info)
I hear nothing but raves from the NT 555R, but not much on just the 555s. Looking for any info out there on them.

Eagle F1 (aka Eagle F1 GS-D3) tread ware 280 (Tire Info )
Love the looks of the tread and apparently they ride and handle great. Again, I’ve read a lot of guys really like these tires.

Eagle F1 GS (Stock F1) tread ware 300 (Tire Info )
Why not :)

Bridgestone Potenza RE750 with a tread ware of 300 (Tire Info )
Don’t know much about them and haven’t found much either.

Michelin Pilot Sport with a tread ware of 220 (Tire Info )is possible, but they are expensive @ $296 each. I’ve not been able to find a lot of info on these.

Kumho ECSTA SUPRA 712 with a tread ware of 280 (Tire Info) , but don’t know much about Kumho tires.

If you have any other suggestions, let me know.

Thanks

Eric

Last edited:

Sonic03inSC

Established Member
I just got my GS D3's from www.treadepot.com best price I could find $175ea. they hook better than the stock ones. Wet traction is great. I feel safe when it rains, (no I don't drive crazy when it rains) I have tried to break them loose but it's much harder now in the rain.
I here the 555R's are great dry but when they wear a bit the rainy ride can hairy.

So my vote would be the GS D3's unless you don't drive in the rain, then the 555R's.

ModsAway

Established Member
I just put GS-D3's on my Cobra and the dry traction seems moderately better, but I attribute that to the fresh tread and larger meat out back. Wet tractions is greatly improved over the stock F1's.

As far as cornering and what not I cannot give all the credit to my tires as I did the Eibach springs and Polyurethane bushings at the same time.

nuke6

Established Member
I got about 11,000 miles out of my F1's, then I went to the Nitto 555's (not the drag or autocross). I have about 7,000 miles on these and am very happy with them. They don't have nearly the wheel hop of the F1's and they hook up much better. The treadwear is very good. They are rated at the same rating as the F1's, but after 7,000 miles it looks as if they are not even down to half the original tread height. Any questions let me know.

fastsnake99

top down, chrome spinnin'
Established Member
DONT BUY THE KUMHO'S.. have them on my car currently and was the worst decision i made. they were ok at first but after a thousand miles or so they just flat suck.. im either going with the nitto nt555 or the toyo proxes. supposedly there made from the same company.

toofast4u

Versatilist
Established Member
Originally posted by Sonic03inSC
I just got my GS D3's from www.treadepot.com best price I could find $175ea. they hook better than the stock ones. Wet traction is great. I feel safe when it rains, (no I don't drive crazy when it rains) I have tried to break them loose but it's much harder now in the rain.
I here the 555R's are great dry but when they wear a bit the rainy ride can hairy.

So my vote would be the GS D3's unless you don't drive in the rain, then the 555R's.

There is nothing wrong with the 555Rs in the rain. I have 315s and haven't had any problems as long as your not stupid driving fast in the rain. I run 555RII in the front ahd 555R in the rear and my car is a daily driver. My last set of 555R lasted around 8k of spirited driving.

roushcobra03

Established Member
I like the Toyo Proxes T1-S tread wear is 280, very comparable to the GSD3 but without the road noise

time2train

Established Member
Not to make your decision any harder. However, I am in the same boat as you. Sounds like we have similar driving habits. I am going with BFG KDW 285/40/17 in the rear and 275/40/17 up front. Hear nothing but raves about these tires.

Eric03Cobra

Established Member
Well Guys, I'm going to give the Nitto 555s a try.
I just placed my order and should have them in a few days.
$684.00 to my door. Cheapest place I've found around here to mount and balance them for me is $18.00 each.

Wish me luck ;)

Users who are viewing this thread