Tire Recommendations

svt2205

Established Member
So what do you guys like for tires for the 93? Other then the short lived original Gatorbacks, I've only used Goodyear Eagle GSC's. GCS's have served me well over all these years, but they only available in a very limited number of sizes.

So, I've been reading online tire reviews but thought I'd get better first hand info from you guys.

Here's your chance to spend my money or at least point me in the right direction. What size also do you recommend that I can run on my stock wheels.

Thanks for your suggestions

LEE93COBRA

broke
Established Member
Nitto 555's cannot be beat for the money. Quiet, stick well, and easy on the wallet. You can get 245/45's for around 108 each

stangbear427

Established Member
That depends on what you want from a tire. I always swore by my Nitto 450 Extremes, but my Riken Raptors handle better, ride better, make less noise, wear better, I can't think of any way they aren't superior and FAR less money. That being said, 450's aren't as good as 555's for top speed and dry traction, but they don't cost as much either. I loved my 555's, but they were so soft I wore them out in two months. They aren't an "expensive" tire, but they add up fast when you really like highway on/off ramps. Never cared for the 555 tread in the rain either, but that isn't an issue with most Cobra owners. The Raptors dry handling is closer to the 555 than the 450, wet traction is better than either and I get more miles out of them. If I was a weekend warrior with my car and it never saw the elements, I might go back to the 555's. Since my car is a daily driver that never goes to the track and does get driven in the rain, the Raptor is a better tire and I can put considerable money back in my pocket. Looking at the TC's avitar though, I doubt my post will be particularly relevant.

LEE93COBRA

broke
Established Member
stangbear427 said:
That depends on what you want from a tire. I always swore by my Nitto 450 Extremes, but my Riken Raptors handle better, ride better, make less noise, wear better, I can't think of any way they aren't superior and FAR less money. That being said, 450's aren't as good as 555's for top speed and dry traction, but they don't cost as much either. I loved my 555's, but they were so soft I wore them out in two months. They aren't an "expensive" tire, but they add up fast when you really like highway on/off ramps. Never cared for the 555 tread in the rain either, but that isn't an issue with most Cobra owners. The Raptors dry handling is closer to the 555 than the 450, wet traction is better than either and I get more miles out of them. If I was a weekend warrior with my car and it never saw the elements, I might go back to the 555's. Since my car is a daily driver that never goes to the track and does get driven in the rain, the Raptor is a better tire and I can put considerable money back in my pocket. Looking at the TC's avitar though, I doubt my post will be particularly relevant.

555's in 2 months! holy s***. I have been running on my 555's for a couple of years now.

Are you comparing 555R's? (drag radials) I was referring to 555 full tread tires

stangbear427

Established Member
Actually, I wasn't talking about the DR's, but those lasted about that long too LOL! Only because I over-inflated then and wore the centers out prematurely. The full tread 555's rounded them off in no time as well though, I'm pretty hard on the exit ramps, it really shows what they're made of. Literally.

svt2205

Established Member
Thanks for the suggestions. I'll check out the Raptors and the Nitto's. Do either of these have issues with flat spotting from sitting? My car only saw 600 miles last year and probably wont see much more then that this year.

Thanks again

Cobra228

Random SVT Poster
Established Member
I put about 4,000 miles on my 555 full tread tires in the past 5 years of ownership. They have seen the Tail of the Dragon and a few laps on the Lowe's motor speedway and have held up very well. Obviously the car sits a lot and the flat spots usually go away after the tire warms up. I had the same tire on my supercharged 97 GT and the grip was excellent at least compared to the Gatorbacks that were on the car when I bought it. For the money I dont think you can go wrong with the Nitto.

svt2205

Established Member
Jackstands are a hassle. I'd rather just let the car sit on tires that don't have problems due to sitting. My GSC's never had any flat spotting after any amount of sitting. Always seemed odd that they didn't.

555's and T1R's look like good choices. Too many choices. Just wish the cash was as available as tire choices.

Thanks for the feedback guys, much appreciated.

hollant

Stuck In First Gear
Established Member
R u looking for a track or street tire? My street car has Kumho Escta Supra 712s. It is an older design, but my tires have 30K+ miles on them and they look like they could last for another 10K or more and for 87 bucks each at the tire rack they are hard to beat! For the track I love the Toyo RA1s. Good luck!

Last edited:

big frank

Stang Freak
Established Member
Im just getting ready to put on Sumitomo HTRZ ll on my 93. They are reasonably priced and stick good (acording to a friend that has been running them for awhile).

racerbox77

Established Member
this is from Toyo's website-

The Proxes T1R is Toyo's latest generation of ultra-high performance tire designed exclusively for high-end sport sedans and coupes. The Proxes T1R feature a refined tread design and construction that offers exceptional dry and wet handling and performance. A wide range of sizes are available in V, W and Y speed rating. Sizes from 14"-21".

The performance-proven RA1™ features all the high-tech components to provide an uncommon advantage to the cost-conscious competitor who still demands quick lap times. It's true performance from Toyo!

stangbear427

Established Member
"Cost conscious"? Yeah, I've definitely been very conscious of the cost whenever I was paying for Toyo tires. They were nice though, you do get what you pay for.

92wikidlx

Established Member
I have the Goodyear F1 GS-D3's I only drive the car a couple hundred miles a year, the car sits most of the year in the garage and I have no problems with flat spots. Hope this helps. Great tracktion by the way Dry or wet.

Vib_93

Established Member
I have a set of BFG G-force KDWS's on mine in 255/45-17 and like em alot! At the time I bought em (Costco)they listed a 7.5" rim as the min but I think they have since changed that to something larger now. They fit and look great on the car. Stick like Shite on a blanket and seem to last a lot better the the Goodyear's! I just had to put a set of Maximum Motorsports CC plates and Strut tower Brace on it to stop it from chewing up the inside of the passengers side front tire though.

green 02 grizzl

Established Member
Vib_93 said:
I have a set of BFG G-force KDWS's on mine in 255/45-17 and like em alot! At the time I bought em (Costco)they listed a 7.5" rim as the min but I think they have since changed that to something larger now. They fit and look great on the car. Stick like Shite on a blanket and seem to last a lot better the the Goodyear's! I just had to put a set of Maximum Motorsports CC plates and Strut tower Brace on it to stop it from chewing up the inside of the passengers side front tire though.

I have the same tires and agree with the Quote.

Users who are viewing this thread