Tire Setup

BigTerminator

Established Member
Hey Guys,

I would like to hear your thoughts on my plans for my tire setup and what I should do. My current setup is Nitto NT555's on all fours. Sizes are 255/40/17 out front and 315/35/17 on the rears. These tires suck in the rain (always fish tailing with a hint of throttle) and grip decent when conditions are PERFECT. Also I can't really feel their grip levels, feels like I am floating. My suspension setup is fairly thorough and the only thing I really need to do left is add in subframe connectors and eventually tackle the 4 link. H&R Race springs, Koni Yellows, MM Lower Control Arms, Terminator A arms, redid bushings every where, etc. I feel like a tire upgrade along with subframe connectors will round out what is already a great handling ride. Summer tires with at least 10K mile tread life is what I am looking for. I do not track the car but might do an autocross eventually.

After a lot of research I feel like going with Bridgestone RE-11's on the front and getting Nitto NT555 G2's on the rear in 255/315 respectively. Is this a good idea? 315/17 does not have the most options out there. Nitto seemed to really step up the wet performance which is nice to see. However I still don't trust Nitto enough to upgrade all four tires from the NT555 to the NT555 G2's.

The RE-11's are a much stickier tire than the G2's so my question is will this cause a concern for oversteer? The fact that the stickier RE-11 is a narrower tire than the wider less grippy NT555 G2, makes me believe that they will somewhat balance each other out. I am just doing spirited driving so I would hope I will never reach the limit of either tire. My biggest concern is snap oversteer which plagues the 4 link.

Thanks,
BigT

Users who are viewing this thread