Tire turning on rim . .

GF Scot

Established Member
Anyone had a problem with a tire turing on a rim such that it throws out the dynamic balance of the wheel?

I bought two 295/35/18 Goodyear Eagles F1 at Discount Tire and after they balanced and fitted them to the rear AFS 18" rims, the car vibrated causing the back-end to shake badly. I took them back and they rotated the tire relative to the rims and re-fitted them. This cured most of the vibration. Today the car is vibrating again and DT are claming that the tire and rim have rotated relative to each other. The tires are inflated to 35psi, which is pretty normal.

Has anyone had this problem? Can't say I have come across this before but I guess 390 RWT could do that?

SnakeBit

Mid-Life Crisis my ass!
Established Member
I would mark the inside of tire and rim to be sure that the tire is rotating. A grease pencil should work. If it is turning, that could mean either a defective tire (too large) or a defective rim (too small) or a poorly seated tire bead. You should make them prove what the cause is.

racerat

200+mph Boss-O-Matic!
Established Member
I've had it happen on my GT when I tried to put 275s on the 17x8 rim.
Is it happening on both sides?
Mark the rims like Snakebit said.

Chris_H

kcuS uoY
Established Member
Originally posted by SnakeBit
I would mark the inside of tire and rim to be sure that the tire is rotating. A grease pencil should work. If it is turning, that could mean either a defective tire (too large) or a defective rim (too small) or a poorly seated tire bead. You should make them prove what the cause is.

Took the words right out of my mouth. This is interesting, and I would love to hear the outcome of this. I wouldn't think tires would slip on the rim under normal driving conditions...

Chris

GF Scot

Established Member
Thanks guy . . . good suggestion Snakebit, I will mark with a grease pencil and let you know. Bot sides have moved apparently. I have not taken the car to a drag strip with these tires yet and other than the usual Cobra-induced fun, I drive "normally"!

ModsAway

Established Member
Is it just me or isn't the Eagle F1 MAX inflation 32psi.... Forgive me if I'm wrong, for some reason I have that number in my head.

Jagged Edge

Established Member
I have 315-35-17's on stock rims and they rotated on the rims regardless of air preasure each time I launched. It eventually stops. It's because of too much lube was used when mounted. Clean tire and rim and re-mount. I would balance but be prepared to balance again. Mark the tire relative to the valve stem and check.
When movement stops get them balanced.
JE

FKing1

Established Member
Was at a local Car Club Session put on by a Belle Tire Manager last week who said that tires rotating on the rim is a common problem with today's tires. Recommended the marking bit to check frequently, especiall if you launch hard (who doesn't?).
Fred K.

maoun

Established Member
modern tires definitely move a lot ....a day at willow springs can turn my tires around the rim several times over

Users who are viewing this thread