Tired of Dial up, going to DSl or Cable..Advice needed

z28WHAT

Got that Azzz sooo LOOOWW
Established Member
Northern Region of North Carolina...2005 NCAA NATI
Well Ive had dial up for years now, and I'm sick and FU((*& tired of it. Can't download anything over 3MB's without taking all day etc etc, and I cant watch any vids or get any work loaded for college online courses...So Im thinking of getting DSL, I live in the sticks and about 300+ feet away from the road in a rural area which isnt even close to a large city really "Small town"..Anyways, we checked on cable a few years ago, like 5..lol..it was $1000 to run the cable to the house and install I believe. So Im thinking DSl service..Whose a good ISP that has a great connection speed and good Downloading rate, persistent speed? Im trying to find a place on the net that shows u if DSL is offered in your area, but I can't get the only site Ive found to work. Any and all help would be needed..

thanks

PonyFever

'03 DSG vert 3816 of 5082
Established Member
I've had Verizon DSL for about two years and no complaints. Sure beats dial-up. If you could get satellite, that's the wave of the future. Good luck to you.

spyne

Established Member
You are most likely going to have to go with whatever your local phone company is for DSL. There are very few markets where you can go with another vendor to get DSL. And that assumes you are close enough to their Central Office (CO) for DSL to work. Generally speaking, you need to be less than 3 miles from the CO, as the wire runs, in order for DSL to work. For cable, you are stuck with whoever delivers cable in your area, if anyone does.

From the sound of it, you are far enough away from a metro area that satellite may well be your best option. It works well and has good throughput speeds but there is some latency (delay). If you are used to dial-up this is probably not a problem, but if you decide you want to play on-line games it could be a concern.

SLWSNKE

Banned
I had sbc/yahoo dsl and hated it. Constant problems and crappy customer service. Dowload speeds were very inconsistent and I always seemed to have a outage when I had a paper or project due.

Since then I have had local cable company broadband(Insight Communications) and broadband(Comcast) again. Absolutely no complaints with either.

Cable has always been more consistent and has faster download speeds for me.

Lorne

VirtualSVT

lolololololololololol
Established Member
Do you have cable? most cable companies offer a cable modem service.

I've had Roadrunner for 8 plus years and I've never had a complaint.

It actually came back up before my power did. I could surf online when my genny was running.

inteller

Established Member
satellite is the wave of the future.....hahahaha ok sure.

I'll take fast cable modem speeds today, in the present. I'll catch the satellite wave when it gets here....whenever that is.

WHITESVTCOBRA

Established Member
ill take a T 1-3 line over it all!!! or a fiber optics line. but definatly no matter what unless its last resort I'd go with sattellite. But for the line of progression of quality it goes cable>dsl>sattelite

BlueOvalAvenger

Beerknurd
Established Member
If you live out in the sticks..most likely DSL wont be available in your area. In order for DSL to work you have to be within a certain range from the telephone companies central office or one of their extension boxes. The range is usually about 18,000 feet..maybe a little more. Needless to say...if cable isn't set up there...you sure as hell aren't getting DSL.

Crawlin302

Banned
I have comcast cable, and it is fantastic! I can download 20 MP3 songs off of LimeWire Pro, in less than 3 mins. I can surf the boards quickly, very fast connection.

White96

Established Member
I have verizon dsl to no complaints besides the dumbass tech who come out and screw it shit up for ya, when he puts in a new line

Users who are viewing this thread