Tires and Ford Mo. Co.

VintagePorscheG

Old School SVT Poster
Established Member
Why is it that Ford would put such crappy tires on our cars?

All I can figure is Goodyear GAVE them to Ford to put on our cars...

They don't grip great, they don't do good in the rain, and they dust off like they are made of styrofoam... and they are expensive...

Well Goodyear, sorry but you won't be my choice for replacement...

7,140 miles (no smoky burnouts - well okay one smokey burnout) and I have to swap front and rear tonight to hopefully get another 5,000 miles out of them...

Must find some tire in 275.40.17 that lasts longer, costs less and doesnt keep making the back of my car so dirty...

Last edited:

jtfx6552

Established Member
Well, for the record I completely disagree.
Cecil County 1.8X 60 ft
Maple Grove 1.8X 60 ft
Atco 1.8X 60 ft

Seem to handle fine in both wet and dry to me, and stop good as well.

Goodyear F1's were the OEM tires on $1,000,000 McClarens.
I believe they are the OEM tires on Z06's and Shelby series 1 as well.

Yep, they must be real pieces of crap.

JT

Elapidae

Festively Plump
Established Member
Originally posted by VintagePorscheG
Must find some tire in 175.40.17 that lasts longer, costs less and doesnt keep making the back of my car so dirty...

I wonder what a 175/40/17 would look like :rolleyes: :-D

I like the F1's but it looks like I'm the only one. There are a lot of tires out there that are much worse.

Mac03Cobra

Texas Lightning Rod
Established Member
VintagePorscheG,

7,100 miles in just over 2 months! Get a beater quick!
smile.... :p

You're going wear that fine machine out, much less TIRES!... At this rate you'll need a rebuild by next summer... J/K of course...
:lol:

KEEP THE DREAM ALIVE! And you will obviously keep driving!

Mac03Cobra

JB

beautiful loser
Established Member
although I've never used them myself, I've heard good things about the Firestone Firehawk SZ50.

they have a treadwear rating of 340, which is pretty decent......

coleman

Established Member
yeah, my rear tires lasted only 3,700 miles...
i autoX and that's probably where most of my wear comes from, but i had no idea i'd burn through them this quickly.
instead of rotating front to back, i decided to buy two Nitto 555R II Extremes and try them out... the jury's still out.
the Nittos won't last as long as the F1s with *normal* wear, but if they stick any better I don't see how *I* will do worse.

now if I can just keep them from hopping! what causes that, BTW? do I need something adjusted or inspected?

on the flip side, i hope they don't grab better than the clutch can handle the torque... i don't want to go down that road but i do have 454 RWTQ :)

JoeAsheville

Asheville NC-Bohemian Wonderland
Established Member
Try Michelins...but only if you're interested in being spoiled so badly that they will make Goodyears look like Star brand tires afterwards.

Michelin has one tire with a 400 treadwear that grips at LEAST as well as the F1's...however I have gotten 60K out of a set of Michelins with a 240 treadwear.

Of course, I don't drag race. ;-) Getting results similar to the UTQG treadwear rating is very dependent on your own personal hooligan factor.

03ShadowCobra

To the Hindenpeter!!!
Established Member
I think the F-1's kick ass. I have 22,000 miles on my Lightning with them and it will still run 2.0xx 60' times, all day long.

JB

beautiful loser
Established Member
Originally posted by 03ShadowCobra
I think the F-1's kick ass. I have 22,000 miles on my Lightning with them and it will still run 2.0xx 60' times, all day long.

I wish I knew how to make 'em last like that.....I rotated my Lightning at every oil change and had to replace all 4 F-1's at only 13,000 miles.

VintagePorscheG

Old School SVT Poster
Established Member
So I think I have a choice...

Yokohamma is comming out with a ES100 tire in 275/40/17 in December and its only $121....

I have always liked yokohammamamma's, I run them on my Porsche, my truck and had them on my GTP... They are usually priced right.

BTW... Tire rack currently has our F1 gs tires on sale for $216...

Thats a pretty good deal I guess...

03ShadowCobra

To the Hindenpeter!!!
Established Member
Originally posted by JB

I wish I knew how to make 'em last like that.....I rotated my Lightning at every oil change and had to replace all 4 F-1's at only 13,000 miles.
I have only rotated once. Although they need to be rotated now.

Cobra'03

Established Member
Joe - how do you figure a 400 tire will have the tread compound needed for max performance? I agree that Michelin makes the best tires, the industry stats at the SAE clearly indicate they have the fewest warranty issues - I will put Pilots on my car since handling is paramount to me. I have the Tire Rack wholseale catalog in front of me:

Here are the max performance tires available in 275/40-17(not one has UTQG higher than 220):
Dunlop Sport 9000Firestone Firehawk SZ50
Goodyear Eagle F1 Supercar
Kumho Ecsta MX
Michelin Pilot Sport
Pirelli P7000 SuperSport (UHP, not MP)
Sumitomo HTR Z II (UHP)
Yokohama A032R (race)
Yokohama AVS Sport

Users who are viewing this thread