Tires and Wheel choices! Help!

GreekThunder

Established Member
Ive been looking at getting new wheels and tires for a long ass time now. Ive talked to people from the wheel company that I want to buy and they said that a 295/35/18 is the ideal size I want for my rears and 255/40/18 up front. Ive found Nitto Nt555G2 in 295/40/18 for the rear and 255/35/18 for the front. Im just looking to see what other companies have a 295/35/18 or 295/40/18 for my rear as well a matching tread tire in 255/40/18. I don't want to go with the 255/35/18 simply because the roads around here are shitty plus its a daily so they cant be drags so rain is a factor. Just let me know what company has them and where you found them. As of now the Nittos are the cheapest and the best option. Any input would be amazing! Ive attached a pic of the wheels I want they are AFS Mach 1 reps in 18x9 and 18x10.5. So if you know anything about this company (good or bad) let me know so I can make some moves. Finally I am on stock 4x4 suspension so keep that in mind lol. CAR SEASON IS UPON US!!!!!
Unknown-1(6).png

Last edited:

StrayBullitt

Established Member
If you are daily driving around in a stock Mustang and if you're worried about price then 295's are complete overkill. 255's are plenty, but If you want more I get it. I'd go with 275's tops. Just my 2 cents

GreekThunder

Established Member
Im looking for a great stance and style to it. 275 just aren't big enough for me. Is there any benefit to driving on 275's vs 295's?

GreekThunder

Established Member
If you are daily driving around in a stock Mustang and if you're worried about price then 295's are complete overkill. 255's are plenty, but If you want more I get it. I'd go with 275's tops. Just my 2 cents

Im looking for a great stance and style to it. 275's just arent big enough for me and I currently have 255's and they look like bicycle tires compared to the 295 my dad has on his chevelle. But are there and benefit to driving on 275's vs 295's??

StrayBullitt

Established Member
I don't think you would notice a significant difference between the two, maybe, but 275's are still a wide tire. You would probably save some $ and have a few more tire choices, just depends, but if you are after the look I get it. Just seemed wrong for a shop or wheel company to tell you 295 is your ideal size.

GreekThunder

Established Member
They didnt nessesarily tell me that I needed 295's they told me Id want 295/35 and 255/40 up front. With the rims they are 18x10.5 in the rear so I feel that a 275 would look stretched I might be wrong though.
I don't think you would notice a significant difference between the two, maybe, but 275's are still a wide tire. You would probably save some $ and have a few more tire choices, just depends, but if you are after the look I get it. Just seemed wrong for a shop or wheel company to tell you 295 is your ideal size.

LTmach21

Established Member
AFS rocks, I've never heard of anyone having an issue with them. 295 seems right for a 10.5 inch wheel? I definitely would not go 275. Get the 295 and have a little curb rash protection.

StrayBullitt

Established Member
275mm is 10.8 inches so it would not be or look stretched. Your side wall would be virtually flush. 275 is actually the ideal size for a 10.5 wheel, 295 is max. You're gonna have a little bit of about 10mm bow in from the side walls on either side, but yeah you'll have a little curb protection.

GreekThunder

Established Member
curb protection is much needed especially with how SHITTY the roads are in CT. I can cruise on the highway and every bump I hit I immediately think "that sounded expensive".

DHG1078

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Established Member
275mm is 10.8 inches so it would not be or look stretched. Your side wall would be virtually flush. 275 is actually the ideal size for a 10.5 wheel, 295 is max. You're gonna have a little bit of about 10mm bow in from the side walls on either side, but yeah you'll have a little curb protection.

Tire manufacturers generally recommend a wider tire than the wheel. From Nitto's website for the 275/40/18 555G2, the recommended wheel size is 9-11 wide, but 9.5 is the preferred. A 295 is recommended for the 10.5.

I run a 315 on a 17" 10.5 wide wheel, but thats the minimum recommended for the tire OP is looking at.

StrayBullitt

Established Member
Tire manufacturers generally recommend a wider tire than the wheel. From Nitto's website for the 275/40/18 555G2, the recommended wheel size is 9-11 wide, but 9.5 is the preferred. A 295 is recommended for the 10.5.

I run a 315 on a 17" 10.5 wide wheel, but thats the minimum recommended for the tire OP is looking at.

Good looks. I was initially speaking and thinking in general terms for the Car, not to a specific Wheel or specific Tire as I gather OP doesn't own either yet. I think I misunderstood that he was recommended a 295 was ideal for a specific wheel and with looks in mind and not for which was ideal for the car.

GreekThunder

Established Member

Good looks. I was initially speaking and thinking in general terms for the Car, not to a specific Wheel or specific Tire as I gather OP doesn't own either yet. I think I misunderstood that he was recommended a 295 was ideal for a specific wheel and with looks in mind and not for which was ideal for the car.
yeah I was mostly going for looks rather than performance. As well as not destroying them within the first month. As well if anyone on this here fine site has ties to AFS PLEASE LET ME KNOW!! I want their mach1 18x9 and 18x10.5 wheels but they are out of stock! shoot me a dm so I can pick your brain a bit thanks guys for all the input as well this site is amazing for getting details on everything!

Mustang-life

I have 245/40/18 Front and 18x10 275/40/18 rears and the 275 are flush, DO NOT GET 275 on the rear wheels, you will eventually scrap the wheel on a curb , I'm replacing them with 295/35/18

GreekThunder

Established Member
thank you for letting me know about that! and I will be sure to post some pictures when I get them in. hopefully this week!
Those are growing on me, I like the lip. Hope you'll post pics when you get em on.

I have 245/40/18 Front and 18x10 275/40/18 rears and the 275 are flush, DO NOT GET 275 on the rear wheels, you will eventually scrap the wheel on a curb , I'm replacing them with 295/35/18

DHG1078

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Established Member
thank you for letting me know about that! and I will be sure to post some pictures when I get them in. hopefully this week!

Proper tire size isn't just for looks either. A proper tire size, according to the tire manufacturer, can be safer too. Helps hold the tire bead better, and the tire will perform better. Any tire size in the range provided by the manufacturer should be fine, but the closer to the ideal the better.

GreekThunder

Established Member
So does anyone know of any other companies that make the mach wheels in 18". I called afs and they wont be in stock for another six months fml

Users who are viewing this thread