Tires rubbing..

STACKZ89

Established Member
I'm running niche 20's, the fronts are no issue but the rear is rubbing the tire on the inside of the quarter panel.. There 20x10 +40 with a 305-35 Mickey Thompson drag radial, it seems they are rubbing when the car squats hard, more on the passenger side then driver side.. The car is lowered with steeda springs and I've swapped sets and same issue.. I'm guessing I need a stronger spring rate so I'm guessing a svtpp rear spring? But idk if the front will be to low then and it will look stupid. Anybody have any input on this or the answer, much appreciated!!!!!

GT500RedStripe

More Power!
Established Member
I run a 305/35/19 MT and have room for more. I even cut my jounce bumpers way down. If it rubs 1 side, you need to center your rear with the panhard bar. If it is both sides evenly, you should confirm the offset on the wheel.

STACKZ89

Established Member
I run a 305/35/19 MT and have room for more. I even cut my jounce bumpers way down. If it rubs 1 side, you need to center your rear with the panhard bar. If it is both sides evenly, you should confirm the offset on the wheel.

What springs are u running..? Also the panhard bar is centered and the side that's rubbing sits a 1/4inch lower then the other even with different springs.. (I tried 3 sets)

GT500RedStripe

More Power!
Established Member
How much of a drop were the frpp in the rear and how were they..?

I never measured but it should be exactly as advertised. Here's a FRPP pic:
FRPP Lowering Springs 111612.jpg

Catmonkey

I Void Warranties!
Established Member
Premium Member
My tires sit an 1" further inboard than your set up. I suspect the tire may be rubbing on the inside of the outer fender or the bump stop bracket. Pull a tire off, you should see evidence of where it's rubbing.

STACKZ89

Established Member
My tires sit an 1" further inboard than your set up. I suspect the tire may be rubbing on the inside of the outer fender or the bump stop bracket. Pull a tire off, you should see evidence of where it's rubbing.

No it's rubbing on the very inside on the quarter panel... I think I'm going to take the steedas out and put in the ford racing 5300-L springs... They should have a stronger spring rate then the steedas,

ZOMBEAST

Killed by Death
Established Member
You can try some 1/8" wheel spacers to lessen the problem on the street. Take them off if you go to the drag strip. Have you changed or altered your bumpstops?

STACKZ89

Established Member
You can try some 1/8" wheel spacers to lessen the problem on the street. Take them off if you go to the drag strip. Have you changed or altered your bumpstops?

Changing the bumpstops would just soften it up.. No..? And moving the rim out would make it worse as its a +40 offset

slowbra1

Established Member
I think the offset is wrong I have a 2012 my slick is a 28x10.5 the rear offset is 46mm on my wheels no rubbing at all I have 295/35/20s on the factory wheels no rubbing.

ZOMBEAST

Killed by Death
Established Member
Changing the bumpstops would just soften it up.. No..? And moving the rim out would make it worse as its a +40 offset

Oh, I thought they were in too far. Got any pictures you can post? How much distance is there between the bumpstop and the bracket?

I made these bumpstop spacers up and run these with Eibach bumpstops. Might be something you could try,

bspacer.jpg

Last edited:

Robert M

800 HORSE FUN!!
Established Member
I'm running niche 20's, the fronts are no issue but the rear is rubbing the tire on the inside of the quarter panel.. There 20x10 +40 with a 305-35 Mickey Thompson drag radial, it seems they are rubbing when the car squats hard, more on the passenger side then driver side.. The car is lowered with steeda springs and I've swapped sets and same issue.. I'm guessing I need a stronger spring rate so I'm guessing a svtpp rear spring? But idk if the front will be to low then and it will look stupid. Anybody have any input on this or the answer, much appreciated!!!!!

Your car is a 2012. At some point the later cars have a plastic inner fender liner that the earlier cars do not have. That plastic inner liner takes up space and unless it is modified, it will not allow for the wider rear tires that fit on the earlier cars. <<This is if your offset is correct within specs for your application.

R

Last edited:

STACKZ89

Established Member
I don't see a plastic inner fender and my wheels do stick out so putting a spacer on it would only make it worse... The offset I have is the same as every rim American muscle sells for a gt500 in a 20.. However I do agree this offset is wrong as it should be more close to a 46-48 offset to move it in more..! I'm going to change to ford racing springs that seem to be stiffer and when my drag radials are used up I'm going to put a smaller street tire on them for shows and I'm going to invest in some welds... I really wish I did that from the beginning with all the trouble I've had, I could've saved myself hours of aggravation and a couple thousand bucks.. U live and u learn I guess lol I really appreciate all the feed back u guys are more then helpful.

Users who are viewing this thread