Tires Tires Tires and More Tires

03yellow

Established Member
Seems lik I buy a new set of tires every 1 1/2 years! And a set of big rears every 2 years.
I've had just about every tire you can get: some cheap some not! Drs ZRs ETs ....
Here's what I've come up with!
You get what you pay for is not totally true. If you get on your car often then your good to get 20,000 to 30,000 miles on your tires, if not your lucky to get 35,000 unless you dumped 200+ on a tire!
I've spent as little as 89 per tire and as much as 235.
Here's what I've come up with: your better off buying 2 sets of cheaper tires than an expensive
tire. Once you get 10,000 miles on a tire they
become less sticky and after 20,000 they are poor performers in water; give or take some miles.
Second I've never collected on road hazard tire protection on a Z rated tire so I don't purchases it anymore, tire protection can be as high as 35+
per tire.... crazy
Lastly your better off getting a set of Et streets or a big sidewall dot drag tire on a 15 or 16 inch rim than burning up $$$ and putting 315 drs on 10.5 inch rims and getting fair traction and poor milage anyway; I understand you get to leve them on. But once I left my Et streets on and got 10,000 miles out of them, and a few scary rainy days!
So yesterday I purchased a what they had in stock asked for a deal and refused the 26$ per tire road hazard! Got 4 tires for under $600 and if I get 30,000+ miles out of them I'll be happy!

Last edited:

Fat-cat

Established Member
Not sure i agree with any of this post you made.

1)If you use your car in anyway other then going to the store street tires in the rear are pointless. Unless you like blowing the tires off in third gear.. then by all the cheep ass street tires you want.

2)With MT dr's i get usually 2 season out of them. 1.5 if you track them 5-6 times a summer. The older they get ( worn ) the better they hook up until they are real bald ) this is between 6-8k miles

3) Bad weather performance is relative to the driver. My MT's are bald as **** and i have never had a problem in the rain. If there is standing water sure its not ideal and a touch white knuckle but what do you expect.

I have had everything from street tires on Pulley eaton Power. 275-315 nittos 555's and 555r's. IMO if you are looking for a performance tire with good traction on the street and in the corners Nitto and BFG are the way to go. If you are looking for Raw traction and stick the MT's are the shit. I can hook 1st ( Ish ) 2nd no problem with 600 wheel on the street. Thats a good tire.

Sounds to me you are more concerned with getting a tire to last as long as possible and get performance. The 2 just dont go well togeather. There is a happy medium but it wont be great at both it will be average or good. Nitto's are a prime example but they cost more.

18 inch DR's are dirt cheep now and i would not care if i burned a set of a season... Im not going to run around on 15/16 inch wheels when i want traction.. swapping wheels all the time is gay.

Last edited:

S.C.

Established Member
I like FAT-CAT have used the 275-315 Nitto 555's and could not be happier with the tread wear and performance of the tire.Yet my car is only pullied you may have more to yours. I paid less than 600 for my set and from what i'm reading you bought a set of cheap tires at a dealership that they had in stcok. But you didnt say what brand for the same price . Sounds kinda high to me if its a cheap tire. Hope you have better luck with your new combo.

03yellow

Established Member
Just got some jumps at discount tire not dealership. First time for me to buy Kumos! Had the 555 regular tires not drag radials. 315 in rear but I hit on them pretty hard; did pretty well; couldn't give you milage on them because I spun them pretty hard.
I like FAT-CAT have used the 275-315 Nitto 555's and could not be happier with the tread wear and performance of the tire.Yet my car is only pullied you may have more to yours. I paid less than 600 for my set and from what i'm reading you bought a set of cheap tires at a dealership that they had in stcok. But you didnt say what brand for the same price . Sounds kinda high to me if its a cheap tire. Hope you have better luck with your new combo.

03yellow

Established Member
I agree with alot of what your saying. Gotta have 315s to hook my Mts hooked even when the tread was showing. However these cars suck in the rain.
Not sure i agree with any of this post you made.

1)If you use your car in anyway other then going to the store street tires in the rear are pointless. Unless you like blowing the tires off in third gear.. then by all the cheep ass street tires you want.

2)With MT dr's i get usually 2 season out of them. 1.5 if you track them 5-6 times a summer. The older they get ( worn ) the better they hook up until they are real bald ) this is between 6-8k miles

3) Bad weather performance is relative to the driver. My MT's are bald as **** and i have never had a problem in the rain. If there is standing water sure its not ideal and a touch white knuckle but what do you expect.

I have had everything from street tires on Pulley eaton Power. 275-315 nittos 555's and 555r's. IMO if you are looking for a performance tire with good traction on the street and in the corners Nitto and BFG are the way to go. If you are looking for Raw traction and stick the MT's are the shit. I can hook 1st ( Ish ) 2nd no problem with 600 wheel on the street. Thats a good tire.

Sounds to me you are more concerned with getting a tire to last as long as possible and get performance. The 2 just dont go well togeather. There is a happy medium but it wont be great at both it will be average or good. Nitto's are a prime example but they cost more.

18 inch DR's are dirt cheep now and i would not care if i burned a set of a season... Im not going to run around on 15/16 inch wheels when i want traction.. swapping wheels all the time is gay.

Fat-cat

Established Member
please define "dirt cheap" 18" DRs

I am in the market for some new tires also

Hossier & MT's are cheap in comparison to BFG / NITTO / ect. I paid 220 a tire for my 305/35/18s i think hoosier are like 190 a tire.

xfrosty63x

Established Member
I'm still trying to decide on tires for my 18x10.5 AFS Replicas. I had my mind set on 335 Nitto 555Rs, but I would really like something a little stickier and am not like the NT05R sizes. Any suggestions?

03yellow

Established Member
Lol at 615 rwhp. So far the 315 nitto 555 regular tires held up the best! Actuall got the best deal at Big O tires of all places! They lasted 2x longer than the 555 R.
dude i change back tires every 6-10 months, tell me about your 2 year back tires! i want some.

Last edited:

03Cobrra

Stroked,Screwed & Sprayed
Established Member
dude i change back tires every 6-10 months, tell me about your 2 year back tires! i want some.

Same here man I don't know what these guys are complaining about. My Hoosier drag radials last me about 6 months or 1500-2000 miles and that's without going to the track and doing burnouts. I have another set of wheels for the that.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread