Tires tires tires

JimJr

I Like Curves
Established Member
I know this is a NEVER ENDING subject, but I'm getting new tires next week. FYI, most of my miles area from cruises, road trips, and I do about 2-5 AutoX/road course events per year. I planed on getting Nitto 555 245/45/17 on all corners, but don't know if they'll be sticky enough. I'd like to get Nitto 555RII (road course drag radial) but they don't make them in the size I need. I thought about just putting Nitto 555R (drag radial) on the rear, but that doesn't work for open track duties. I could get the Nitto 555R on all corners, but I'm worried that I'll only get 7K miles out of them. Can these last over 15K miles if I don't abuse them, and rotate them regularly? Any other recommendations? Thanks, :)

JimJr

I Like Curves
Established Member
Has anyone ran the Nitto 555R (Drag Radial)? I've also been thinking of trying the new Hankook Ventus K102. They are only $111 each and a 220 treadware "sounds" like it would get more grip than the standard Nitto 555.

URDONE

Be Easy
Established Member
Originally posted by JimJr
I know this is a NEVER ENDING subject, but I'm getting new tires next week. FYI, most of my miles area from cruises, road trips, and I do about 2-5 AutoX/road course events per year. I planed on getting Nitto 555 245/45/17 on all corners, but don't know if they'll be sticky enough. I'd like to get Nitto 555RII (road course drag radial) but they don't make them in the size I need. I thought about just putting Nitto 555R (drag radial) on the rear, but that doesn't work for open track duties. I could get the Nitto 555R on all corners, but I'm worried that I'll only get 7K miles out of them. Can these last over 15K miles if I don't abuse them, and rotate them regularly? Any other recommendations? Thanks, :)

I would not recommend putting drag radials on all four tires. Just get them for the rears, and the regular Nitto NT555's for the fronts.

JimJr

I Like Curves
Established Member
Re: Re: Tires tires tires

Originally posted by URDONE
Just get them for the rears, and the regular Nitto NT555's for the fronts.
That would work for street/drag, but for AutoX/Open Track they would cause severe understeer (less front grip). That is something I'm trying to get away from.

93Cobra#2771

SVT God
Established Member
I've heard of people running the drag radials on all four corner. I would imagine the sidewall is a lot softer than an autox tire, so tire wear might suffer a little bit.

Dad is running the nitto 555 on his 01L. He said it has a little less grip than the stock goodyears he had on there.

I'd contact nitto directly and see what they say about running the drags all around.

LEE93COBRA

broke
Established Member
I have run the 245 and 275 d/r's on my car (rear only). I do not believe there is a difference in sidewall on the drag radials, just the rubber composition is different.

Oh yeah I got roughly 12k miles out of each set of my drag radials. (street/strip use)

JimJr

I Like Curves
Established Member
Thanks fellas, for now I went with the Dunlop SP Sport FM901 200/A/A. They have great dry grip but are noisy, won't bother me though with an off road H and 2 chamber Flows. :thumbsup:

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread