Tires

SNMUSTANG

Established Member
Only 18,000 miles on my F1s and they won't pass inspection. I'm don't spin them often and I rotate every 3K. They don't grip well in corners either. I also think they contribute to wheel hop.
Any input on a different brand/size on a stock 04 cobra suspension would be much appreciated.

TEABG

Banned
Well I have been looking into tires for the past month, BFGOODRICH G-FORCE KD are awesome. They have a retard stiff sidewall that is great for cornering, but the stiffness of the sidewall will affect the traction on our cars. Due to the stiffness of the sidewall the tread wear is reduce to a 200 rating. BFGOODRICH G-Force KDW has a lighter sidewall that aids in straight line traction & tire wear is increased to a 300 tread wear rating. KDW is also rated for wet weather. Honestly I just purchased 285/40/ZR17 BFGOODRICH KDW for $137 EACH SHIPPED!!!!!!!!!!! YES $137.00 SHIPPED for 285. BFG run a lot wider than Goodyear. 285 BFG is like a 295 Goodyear I think!

discounttiredirect.com

(2) BF Goodrich
285/40ZR-17 100Y B
g-Force T/A KDW
$137.00 $274.00
FREE UPS Ground Shipping $0.00

TOTAL $274.00

Last edited:

93 347 Cobra

Established Member
I'm with you. My stock fronts are toast. I've got some OEM replacements getting mounted this week.

TEABG

Banned
SickBlackMach said:
I LOVE my BFG KDWs! Awesome in the rain, had them on my last 2 stangs, and will have them on my future stangs!

How much did you pay for yours? Discounttiredirect are pushing these probably at cost because of the new KDW2. 285 should get me some extra width or girth as you call it on the ground. Hopefully I will be able to use 1st gear at WOT with these.

TEABG

Banned
g-Force T/A KDW
Maximum Dry and Wet performance from the g-Force family

285/40ZR-17 100Y B
Reading the Tire Size

No Mileage Warranty Available

Specifications:
Treadwear: 300
Traction: A
Temperature: A
Speed Rating: ZR

Most of us live in climates where we can expect wet roads a good portion of the time. For those seeking g-Force maximum handling and traction whether it's wet or dry, then here's your tire. Key product application Dry and Wet, the g-Force T/A KDW gives you the confidence to take control of the most demanding roads imaginable while delivering an exceptionally quiet ride. A perfect match for the world's finest sports and touring cars.

•Unidirectional tread design gives exceptional dry and wet traction and handling with low noise.

•Large block elements enhance stability, wear and handling under high torque loads.

•Deep, wide circumferential grooves reduce hydroplaning for confident wet traction.

•New proprietary Black Tech™ tread compound delivers excellent wet and dry grip (UTQG = AA).

•G-Control™ sidewall inserts resist deflection and generate tremendous cornering force.

•Dimensionally stable polyester casing plies, ETEC System™ provide excellent strength, smooth ride, consistent footprint and maximum tread contact area under high speed conditions.

•Y-speed rated (up to 186 mph)

Last edited:

lloyyd

Cobra-less again
Established Member
TEABG said:
Hopefully I will be able to use 1st gear at WOT with these.
I seriously doubt it. I have Nitto 285's & it spins bad @WOT in 1st. There probably isn't a street tire that'll hold @WOT in 1st.
But hey,I've been wrong before.:rolling:

TEABG

Banned
lloyyd said:
I seriously doubt it. I have Nitto 285's & it spins bad @WOT in 1st. There probably isn't a street tire that'll hold @WOT in 1st.
But hey,I've been wrong before.:rolling:

Hopefully it will be significantly better than the GY F1's. For $132.00 you can not go wrong. NITTO suck Monkey dick, had them before and I will not be a return customer. If I go Nitto again I will try the 555R.

HPCOBRA

New*****UsedCobra03
Established Member
The KDW's work well in the front but you need DR's on the rear to help with the wheel hop. I took the blue pill and still had severe hop with KDW's. Switched to BFG DR's and the wheel hop isn't as bad. Had to use 10-1/2" wheels for the 315's and 1/2" wheel spacers to clear the IRS bolt.

TEABG

Banned
HPCOBRA said:
The KDW's work well in the front but you need DR's on the rear to help with the wheel hop. I took the blue pill and still had severe hop with KDW's. Switched to BFG DR's and the wheel hop isn't as bad. Had to use 10-1/2" wheels for the 315's and 1/2" wheel spacers to clear the IRS bolt.

Wheel hop is not an issue for me for some deranged reason, it is possible the $850 for the Global West Tri-Ladders with seat supports did something. Or I can contribute that to the tires just to not grab and they come off of the ground and instantly the RPM go to 6,000 RPM. With some better tires I am sure wheel hop will come into play.

Last edited:

03yllwguy

Daily driven since 2003
Established Member
SNMUSTANG said:
BFG and NITTO are the two I'm looking at. I guess advertising on pages 1 and 3 in 5.0 every month pays after all.
I'm not a big fan of the Nitto's. I have the 315's on a stock sized rim due to the complaints that their tires are sized small. I only put 477 to the ground and they don't hold for crap in 1st period, sometimes not even the bottom of second. Their handling sucks, and I certainly wouldn't encourage a trip with them in the rain. So if you're going to have marginal traction, might as well have a good handling tire.

Last edited:

rmgtc01

Established Member
Goodyear GSD3 were the best tires I have owned out of 5 mustangs and every brand named in this thread!

Terminator

Established Member
ShelbyGuy said:
you get what you pay for with tires. life is too short for cheap ones.

michelin pilot sports are where its at.

X2
Have ~4k miles on my PS2's, they absolutely rock!
PS2 beats the stock F1 in every category, best mod money I have spent. Period.

SnakeBit

Mid-Life Crisis my ass!
Established Member
I went with the Nitto's along with 18" FR500's. I'm very happy with them although I have NOT yet driven them in the rain. It was between the Nitto's and Pilots, but because of the added expense of the wheels, I went with the cheaper tires.

My suspension is still all stock, yet this combo has reduced my wheel hop to almost nil. That being said, Pilots will probably be my replacements. If they're good enough for Shelby Guy, then that's all I need to know. :beer:

beabout

Established Member
When the Goodyears wore out at about 17,500 I was looking to purchase KD's but was talked into G-Force Sports for street use... They have worked out great, can't tell you about racing, but, again for street use they are good.;-)

Users who are viewing this thread