Tispho's car is in the shop! Clutch problems!

Tispho

Established Member
Well as many of you may remember, last week I purchased a new 5.0 and posted up pictures. It was a joyful occasion.

Today after 800 miles on the odometer, my car began to exhibit problems with the clutch.

At first I thought I had the dreaded stuck clutch pedal problem. And I told myself that after I went to get my car tinted I would remove the helper spring on the clutch pedal that was the cause. On the way home, the problem began to grow larger.

It was not the clutch pedal that was the problem.

The clutch itself would not disengage fully. I have my foot to the floor, and the clutch will not disengage. When fully engaged, the clutch was not slipping. So I couldn't have burned it out that quickly.

I am hoping that it is a leaking hydraulic line. As of today, I do not have a car to drive.

Do not let this change your decision about buying a 5.0 though, its a great car and every day I like it more.

z28th1s

The 5.0 is Back!!!
Established Member
Sorry to hear about your problems! Hope you get your car back soon!!

I have the dreaded clutch sticking to the floor problem. I'm hoping Ford will put out a fix for the problem soon. In the mean time I guess I will pull out the helper spring and see if it gets any better.

stang1971

Established Member
Well as many of you may remember, last week I purchased a new 5.0 and posted up pictures. It was a joyful occasion.

Today after 800 miles on the odometer, my car began to exhibit problems with the clutch.

At first I thought I had the dreaded stuck clutch pedal problem. And I told myself that after I went to get my car tinted I would remove the helper spring on the clutch pedal that was the cause. On the way home, the problem began to grow larger.

It was not the clutch pedal that was the problem.

The clutch itself would not disengage fully. I have my foot to the floor, and the clutch will not disengage. When fully engaged, the clutch was not slipping. So I couldn't have burned it out that quickly.

I am hoping that it is a leaking hydraulic line. As of today, I do not have a car to drive.

Do not let this change your decision about buying a 5.0 though, its a great car and every day I like it more.
i have the same issue.. but i race mine and im not nice to the car... the ford tech took the trans out today to find i sheared the dowel pins off the flywheel... destroyed the clutch into 3 pieces and cooked the pressure plate :rockon::rockon: . they were all very impressed that the car still drove... anways.. im putting in all mcleod stuff this coming week and will be back on the road next weekend!!!

kingnut

Established Member
hopefully all this will be taken care of for the 2012 GT's

Tispho

Established Member
i have the same issue.. but i race mine and im not nice to the car... the ford tech took the trans out today to find i sheared the dowel pins off the flywheel... destroyed the clutch into 3 pieces and cooked the pressure plate :rockon::rockon: . they were all very impressed that the car still drove... anways.. im putting in all mcleod stuff this coming week and will be back on the road next weekend!!!

:dw:
Sounds scary. My symptoms point to a bad slave cylinder though.

Clutch pedal to the floor and the car would still creep forward when in gear. It's progressively getting worst so I assume that its a hydraulic leak.

Tispho

Established Member
I received word from my service adviser today, and he said that the problems were due to contaminated clutch fluid.

They are replacing the clutch, slave cylinder, master, and everything else in between.

I asked myself how contaminated fluid was even possible unless it was from factory and stumbled upon the camaro5 forums.

[ame=http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=31256]Clutch fluid contamination problems on Vette fixed for Camaro??? - Camaro Forum - 2011 Camaro 2010 Camaro / Camaro Z28 SS Forums - Camaro5.com[/ame]

reading the first post I saw a video of a corvette with similar problems to our mustangs.

Clutch hanging, and causing other problems.

Could the the cause of our mustang problems be similar to those of a corvette? After all, its probably a similar setup.

YouTube - Take Care of Your Clutch--the Ranger Protocol

----------------------

Last edited:

1slo5ohh

Established Member
i have the same issue.. but i race mine and im not nice to the car... the ford tech took the trans out today to find i sheared the dowel pins off the flywheel... destroyed the clutch into 3 pieces and cooked the pressure plate

this is the 2nd car ive heard of doing this..that shits nuts now everytime i run the car all im goin to think about is the clutch grenadin through the bellhousing

Tispho

Established Member
Found this while looking to buy an exhaust today.

2011 Mustang GT 5.0 Upgraded with RAM Force 9.5" Street Dual Disc Clutch Kit - LRS Blog - Read Here Shop Here

"My factory clutch started acting up just a few weeks ago. The factory clutch starting releasing very close to the floor, making gear changes very difficult.

I took the car in to my local Ford dealer, who proceeded to remove the clutch for inspection.

The results were startling. Somehow, three of the pressure plate bolts wiggled themselves loose, causing the pressure plate to sit unevenly, preventing proper disengagement of the clutch. As a result, the dowel pins that locate the pressure plate to the coyote's flywheel sheared off."

Tispho

Established Member
I should be pretty pissed off at Ford right about now.

It seems that they are all out of clutches, and they will not be shipping out clutches till September 30th,

I only had this car for 1 week, yet it will be in service for more than 30 days. I am not sure what to do at this point.

Hawaiianbro

Established Member
Tispho your not the only one. On moddedmustangs a whole lot of people have this problem.

The fix seems to be to replace the whole clutch with a upgraded version. Alot of people said the mechanic at ford say its either pressure plate springs? and/or slave cylinder. So most of the dealers replace the whole assembly.

I thought the trans was the same as the gt500 but found out I was wrong and was told the 6spd in these 2011 is a new trans.

But I think a couple people went to the dealer and some shops just upgraded the whole clutch and pressure plate with a upgrade and new slave cylinder...so far no problem for those but not sure if they posted up again havent seen anything new yet.

Last edited:

Tispho

Established Member
I sent this letter to Ford today (makes me feel better). And im posting this in hopes that someone will find this thread on google. Hopefullly the'll send me back some answers.

9/15/2010

Owner: xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Car: 2011 Ford Mustang GT
Vin: xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

To whom it may concern,

I would first like to start off this letter by telling whoever is reading this, that I am not expressing these words directly at you, but rather the Ford Motor Company. I understand that it can be difficult to be a customer relations representative, but I ask that you read my entire letter and not just send me back a canned letter of apology. I am not asking for an apology from YOU, I am asking you to fix the issues that are present on the corporate side of the Ford Motor Company.

I am writing to you today to express my concerns about my 2011 Mustang GT and others. I purchased my vehicle on August 19th, 2010. About one week after owning the vehicle my car began to exhibit problems with the clutch. I lost nearly all clutch pressure and the engagement point was very close to the ground, upon further inspection I have discovered that the clutch was not disengaging completely because it would still creep forward in gear with the clutch pedal pushed all the way to the floor. As the day progressed onwards, the problems began to grow larger and getting into any gear was difficult.

At the end of the day, I dropped off my car at the dealership in hopes that it was a minor issue and that things would work out for me in a timely manner. As of September 15, 2010 my car is still not fixed. The reason it is not fixed, is because my dealership does not have the part to fix my car. They are doing everything they can to keep me happy, and it is NOT their fault that my car is still in service, but rather that Ford does not have the part available to ship.

As an automotive enthusiast, I am part of large online communities which discuss Ford Mustangs in detail and I discovered that I was not the only person with this problem. It appears that the problem I have with my mustang was a result of the pressure plate bolts coming loose causing the pressure plate to back away from the flywheel causing loss of clutch pressure and other damages to the clutch assembly. This was happening to mainly 2011 Ford Mustang GTs with around 500 - 1500 miles on them.
This is one of many problems which are related to these Mustang clutches. The second major problem appears to be a result of over-centering clutch diaphragms which are causing the clutches to hang at higher RPMs.

As a Ford customer care representative, you may have already encountered a customer with the same problems that I have encountered for the past weeks. But I have a few questions, and I ask that you answer consider the following in mind and not just treat me like any other customer who complains:

1. I purchased the car and owned it a week before I had problems.
2. I only owned the car for a week, but by the time I get the car back it would have already been in the shop for longer than a month while I am without a car. 1 week ownership to 30 or more days in service is not a good ratio.
3. I paid for the car in full, it is rightfully mine. Yet it has been in someone else's hands for longer than I have had it.
4. I still have to pay insurance on a car that I'm not able to drive.
5. My car will be in the shop for longer than 30 days, in Virginia, I could declare it a lemon if it's been in the shop for more than 30 days.

If you were in my position, how would you feel? This should not happen, it is beyond unacceptable.

Now that you understand my concerns, please answer the following:
1. It seems that this is a non-isolated problem since many owners are having the same problem, what is going on with the clutch assembly's? Why are they not shipping out?
2. When will the clutch assembly's ship out?
3. When am I suppose to expect my car to be fixed? Not even my service advisor knows anymore.
4. With the current clutch assembly's like they are, how can I even be sure that this problem will be a permanent fix? Have you revised the clutch assemblies and sent out a technical service bulletin?

4. Sheehy Ford of Springfield has an excellent staff and has so far done an excellent job of keeping me informed of the status of my car, but what will Ford do for me to keep me happy? Why should I even bother sticking with Ford if they are going to ship out cars with problems like this. It is a safety hazard, a major inconvenience, and a major insult to your customers.
To conclude this letter please keep the following in mind. I purchased this car in full, it is rightfully mine, yet it will be in the shop for longer than I have owned it. I find this to be insulting, which is why I am expressing my concerns. Please get these problems fixed, and please give me some insight on what is going on, because I feel left in the dark. Please reply to me by email if possible.

Thank you,

Phong Vuong

Last edited:

z28th1s

The 5.0 is Back!!!
Established Member
Well written letter!! :beer:

Looking forward to seeing what kind of response you get!! :pop:

I also have the 'clutch sticking to the floor at high RPM' problem and I'm looking forward to some type of TSB, recall or fix of some kind from Ford.

I LOVE my new car, but would like this problem to be fixed!!

Ry_Trapp0

Condom Model
Established Member
hey man, just remember that this is the first model year for this drivetrain combination. you took the risk when you bought the car. that isn't making an excuse the issues your having with the car, but just remember to have some patience. we all know about the cobra head tick, the first 2 model year GT500's had some issues with the tremek TR6060, the raptor had a few minor electronic issues(IIRC) its first year, the '05 mustang GTs(first year of the S197) had some fuel tank issues, these problems are just bound to pop up with brand new components.

well written letter, make sure and let us know what kind of response you get.

03Cobra1979

Established Member
Same deal with my clutch. It has been in the shop since September 1st and I have the same date for parts to ship September 30th. Ford provided me with a rental vehicle though. They paid like 30$ a day for a rental. Maybe look into that option if you need it.

My wife and I own 3 vehicles but I still took the rental because Ford pissed me off.

stang1971

Established Member
i feel ur pain.. s you know i too had clutch issues.. but since i do race mine pretty hard i felt that i should just upgrade to a good aftermarket setup. I went with the mcloed rst. I put the break in miles on it and actually raced this past sat with the car and the clutch is fantastic. I know how a light as stock pedal feel with stock engagement.

Tispho

Established Member
I got my car back today earlier than expected, they replaced the entire clutch assembly, the clutch pedal, the master cylinder, the slave cylinder, and flushed the system. Lets hope this is a fix and it won't happen again.

Strange they didn't replace the clutch pedal with the gt500 one though, instead they gave me another 3 spring.

As for word from Ford about my letter, no word yet.

1slo5ohh

Established Member
i saw on another forum that apparently ford released a tsb on the sticking clutch, they use a different part number then ive seen searching around, i wonder which one they gave you..

Users who are viewing this thread