Title transfer on dirt bike?

99GTvert

Established Member
I'm probably going to be picking up a dirt bike this week that I found on Craig's list. Guy says it is titled for the street. How/where would we transfer it to my name? What fees are involved? We are both in Ohio if that makes a difference.

DEVIL

Established Member
You have to go to the BMV to get a title, and pay the tax on the purchase price. He can sign it over to you at a notory public, then it's your responsability to get the new title. You must be at least 18 to get a title for a bike in Ohio, unless they changed it since I bought my first one in 1970.

thomas91169

# of bans = 5203
Established Member
im confused.

he signs the title over to you, its on the backside of the current title he posesses, as well as the release of liability that you both sign stating you take liability of the bike and release him from it.

He mails in the release of liability. You turn in the transfer of title form to the DMV. DMV issues you a new title in your name.

On the transfer title form it will have a box that he puts in the purchase price of the bike (IE what youre purchasing it for). You pay taxes on that portion, as well as the transfer fee.

Ive never heard of needing a notary public to transfer a title, unless its a Ohio thing.

If youre getting a loan through the bank, the seller will need to go to that bank and sign over the title to them pretty much. Your lender/bank/credit union will be able to take care of that no problem, but they need both parties there 95% of the time.

Users who are viewing this thread