to all those doubting the GT500s handling abilityis, where are you now?

Ry_Trapp0

Condom Model
Established Member
im not sure about you guys but a 69mph slalom speed is pretty damn good. not to mention all the mags say that it doesnt handle even close to as bad as a 3900lb car should handle. so, IRS worshipers*, where are you now?

(*note: that is for the people who say that a car cant handle without an IRS, that a solid axle cant ever compete with an IRS. not for the people who wouldnt mind for the GT500 to have an IRS, just to the ones that think an IRS will save bunnies from ever being ran over)

Jackie Chan

getin' slizurd on da goos
Established Member
well if people are ridiculous enough to think the retro fit IRS design on the sn95 platform is far superior than a great solid design like the sn197 then you will have your hands full with pointless arguments

mrGT

Established Member
03silversvt said:
I say buy a 1990 lx 5.0 for 3000 bucks and toss a stroker in there and kick a 50k dollar car ass.
....and I wish all the ones that don't like the Shelby would take your advice and then start another forum in which they could discuss their beasts and feats. That would be great!!!

VENOM650R

Established Member
Where am I now?...well...I'm still driving my '98 VIPER w/IRS in the slalom @ 72.5 MPH!!! See MT 5/98. 9 years later and your high tech, new platform Shelby still can't keep up! :burnout:

Ry_Trapp0

Condom Model
Established Member
mrGT said:
....and I wish all the ones that don't like the Shelby would take your advice and then start another forum in which they could discuss their beasts and feats. That would be great!!!
we can only dream :rollseyes

Ry_Trapp0

Condom Model
Established Member
VENOM650R said:
Where am I now?...well...I'm still driving my '98 VIPER w/IRS in the slalom @ 72.5 MPH!!! See MT 5/98. 9 years later and your high tech, new platform Shelby still can't keep up! :burnout:
well son of a bitch, i dont care if the car is a 98, it sure as hell better be faster than a damn mustang.

Bower

Established Member
Oh sure - the testing shows it may handle pretty good. For a 3950 lb car. But just imagine a few hundred pounds lighter with an SLA front and IRS rear. Or - just an IRS rear on a better platform than the '99+.

The '99+ IRS was a big step forward even with the compromise of being installed in a glorified Fairmont. But instead of making it even better still, Ford took a step backwards.

There's a lot of good in the new Mustang, but Ford is still clinging to too many compromises.

But if all one cares about is 1/4 mile, then this car is just...ok. At nearly C6 pricing.

-Dave
'01 Cobra coupe

VENOM650R

Established Member
Ry_Trapp0 said:
well son of a bitch, i dont care if the car is a 98, it sure as hell better be faster than a damn mustang.

Well...if you feel your Shelby GT500 is nothing but a damn mustang why buy one? :lol:

cobra29svt

Established Member
VENOM650R said:

and it only weighs what?...about 700lbs less

R1Lello

Established Member
VENOM650R said:
Well...if you feel your Shelby GT500 is nothing but a damn mustang why buy one? :lol:

...........but at least the build quality is better than any Chryco product..........with 100x more aftermarket support too. Hmmmm........Ford TB $300, Vipers $650, Vortech for Mustang $5000, Vipers $10,000. Enjoy.

VENOM650R

Established Member
cobra29svt said:
and it only weighs what?...about 700lbs less

So what is your point? No one forced Ford to build a fat pig for the new Shelby GT500. Where was old Shel when the car was designed? I though the fundamental concept of his car's was a big motor in a light chassis? Someone f'd up! :cryying:

firemanmike

FIREMANMIKE
Established Member
Ry_Trapp0 said:
im not sure about you guys but a 69mph slalom speed is pretty damn good. not to mention all the mags say that it doesnt handle even close to as bad as a 3900lb car should handle. so, IRS worshipers*, where are you now?

(*note: that is for the people who say that a car cant handle without an IRS, that a solid axle cant ever compete with an IRS. not for the people who wouldnt mind for the GT500 to have an IRS, just to the ones that think an IRS will save bunnies from ever being ran over)

If you have to say "not to mention all the mags say that it doesnt handle even close to as bad as a 3900lb car should handle" you simply make everyones point :p

VENOM650R

Established Member
R1Lello said:
...........but at least the build quality is better than any Chryco product..........with 100x more aftermarket support too. Hmmmm........Ford TB $300, Vipers $650, Vortech for Mustang $5000, Vipers $10,000. Enjoy.

How many Vipers have you owned to determine their build quality? I've owned 5 Fords; Torino Cobra 429, Thunderbird SC, 2 SHOs and my current '03 Cobra. In addition, Datsun 240Z, Mazda RX7 GSL, Infinity Q45t and a C4 Vette. The best out of all these cars as far as build quality is the Q45t hands down. Next is the Viper! As far as mod expense...no big deal. First of all, anyone that knows anything knows you don't change the stock TBs on Vipers as you'll loose TQ. Second...I don't need no stinking boost. I'll stick with my NA 675 HP & 680 TQ which is bullet proof up to 215 MPH...no slipping belts, no over heating, no burned pistons, no launched plugs, no broken rods...etc.. Enjoy!

VENOM650R

Established Member
Ry_Trapp0 said:

BTW...it's 3,994 lbs. so let's round it to 4,000 lbs.!

R1Lello

Established Member
VENOM650R said:
How many Vipers have you owned to determine their build quality? I've owned 5 Fords; Torino Cobra 429, Thunderbird SC, 2 SHOs and my current '03 Cobra. In addition, Datsun 240Z, Mazda RX7 GSL, Infinity Q45t and a C4 Vette. The best out of all these cars as far as build quality is the Q45t hands down. Next is the Viper! As far as mod expense...no big deal. First of all, anyone that knows anything knows you don't change the stock TBs on Vipers as you'll loose TQ. Second...I don't need no stinking boost. I'll stick with my NA 675 HP & 680 TQ which is bullet proof up to 215 MPH...no slipping belts, no over heating, no burned pistons, no launched plugs, no broken rods...etc.. Enjoy!

Sure.........did you install a car amplifier to muffle the rattles out?? Not disagreeing with the Q45t..........it's an import, 99% chance build quality will be excellent.

VENOM650R

Established Member
R1Lello said:
Sure.........did you install a car amplifier to muffle the rattles out?? Not disagreeing with the Q45t..........it's an import, 99% chance build quality will be excellent.

Sorry I'm not into boom boxes(adds useless weight) and I rarely even turn the radio on. The Viper has NEVER had one single rattle or squeak. I wish I could say that about my Cobra(even with full length subframe connectors).

Last edited:

unit213

Bone Stock
Established Member
I'll be impressed if it runs 11.90's at 119+ mph. Anything less is a joke.
Who cares what it does on a road course / slalom...it's a gosh damned Mustang.
It's meant to go from point A to point B in a hurry.

Users who are viewing this thread