"To Cam" or "Not To Cam".....that is the question

JohnsDSGVert

Established Member
I am having my engine rebuilt and would like some opinions and or past experiences.

I have a Whipple and all the fuel mods, we are going 20 over, upgrading rods, head work, new valves, etc....

Will a moderate cam cause me problems.?

My thought is......I would rather add cams than more boost.

Has anyone used Comp Cams stage 2?

How does the idle compare to stock?

GodStang

Established Member
It will be a little rougher driving. I say if you have the engine out and you are already doing head work then yes I would get them. you will not get huge gains but if you are doing everything else and the engine is out then do it. You will not nessicarily loose boost. I have stage III cams and did not lose any boost. We checked my guages to make sure they were accurate and they were.

Ironhand

Banned
Only if you up the displacement of the motor or change the compression ration quite a bit will your boost levels differ.. Also, a stroker motor will make more use of the cams and the added displacement will take away the roughness of the cams to a certain degree..

Also, dont forget about the 3 angle valve job..

Sniperdog

Less than Premium Member
Established Member
GodStang said:
It will be a little rougher driving. I say if you have the engine out and you are already doing head work then yes I would get them. you will not get huge gains but if you are doing everything else and the engine is out then do it. You will not nessicarily loose boost. I have stage III cams and did not lose any boost. We checked my guages to make sure they were accurate and they were.

not trying to highjack thread, but was wondering if you were happy with cams, ie: drivability, power, idle, was it worth it,.. etc
thanks, sorry for the highjack
my tuner talked me out of cams

Last edited:

VoodooSNK

Established Member
I'm also curious about power gains. I'm planning on doing a KB 2.8 later this year and was wondering if cams would be worth the $$$$

Ironhand

Banned
VoodooSNK said:
I'm also curious about power gains. I'm planning on doing a KB 2.8 later this year and was wondering if cams would be worth the $$$$

I think some have said like 20-30rwhp gain max.. But then again that is just what some have said. Best bet would be to call Hermann and ask him what he thinks of it and the power gains assciated(sp?) with the cams.

GodStang

Established Member
I have mixed feelings about cams. They give you very little increase in performance for what you pay. I had my engine out and was upgradeing to a VT stroker, LTs, and 2.2L kenne bell. I had just about ever mod possible so there was no were else to spend the money so I decided to add the cams. Driving is alittle difficult at first. You have to stay high in the rpms or you will stall if the car is not warm. I dynoed 649rwhp/570rwtq @ 17psi spinning bad on a mustang dyno. I now have a Kenne Bell 2.8LH installed but have yet to dyno it. It drives like a mad man but SOTP can be wrong. Also yes they do sound damn good.

So to sum it up. stage III cams, LTs, 21 extra cubes got me about 50rwhp-80rwhp and a drop of 0 (zero) psi. Is that worth the butt load of money? That is a personal choice.

Ironhand

Banned
GodStang said:
I have mixed feelings about cams. They give you very little increase in performance for what you pay. I had my engine out and was upgradeing to a VT stroker, LTs, and 2.2L kenne bell. I had just about ever mod possible so there was no were else to spend the money so I decided to add the cams. Driving is alittle difficult at first. You have to stay high in the rpms or you will stall if the car is not warm. I dynoed 649rwhp/570rwtq @ 17psi spinning bad on a mustang dyno. I now have a Kenne Bell 2.8LH installed but have yet to dyno it. It drives like a mad man but SOTP can be wrong. Also yes they do sound damn good.

So to sum it up. stage III cams, LTs, 21 extra cubes got me about 50rwhp-80rwhp and a drop of 0 (zero) psi. Is that worth the butt load of money? That is a personal choice.

That's odd. Even Kenne Bell said you would lose 3PSI with a stroker motor...

GodStang

Established Member
We hooked three guages in line. My Autometer and then two others for testing. We applied 5psi, 10psi, 15psi, 20psi, and 25psi. Every time all three guauges were excatlly in sync. So if 3 guages are excatlly the same then you would think that they are right. We then put it on a dyno with a camera on the boost guage and it shows it hitting exactlly 17psi. I had a stock lower and a 3" upper which Kenne Bell quotes as 17psi on my old 2.2L setup. I have yet to get my new setup running right I am loosing boost at 12psi now. Should have it fixed this week and will know if I am making the 18.5psi that the 3.75 upper and stock lower should make.

Users who are viewing this thread