To Do List for my 99 Cobra

cobragirl7

Established Member
I bought my first mustang in July. I absolutely LOVE this car and never dreamed I would own a mustang, let alone a cobra. She has 119 k miles but is still going strong. I think she was wrecked previously but nothing serious thankfully. They must of ran into something and broke the front end of the car, hard to explain but not as bad as that sounds lol.
384052_10150467538988519_500748518_8541454_1181108595_n.jpg

264622_10150223395123519_500748518_7178848_6189373_n.jpg

269468_10150223395093519_500748518_7178847_2931800_n.jpg

Anyways, as I get the money, (Which will probably be a few years!!!!) I have a list of things I want to get done to it. What are your thoughts, ideas, opinions. I really am "car stupid" but just know what I like! :)

1) Going to order the cobra grille emblem and get rid of the grille that is on it now...
2) getting a new cd player put in it and also a sound system eventually.... have the speakers just gotta get them put in
3) black out tail lights and head lights
4) new wheels! I think I've decided on black Bullit wheels with rivets! I HATE the wheels that are on it right now!
5) calipers- that are red with the word COBRA on them :)
6) exhaust. it has a stock exhaust and I think I've decided that I want to do Borla Stingers Catback and a Bassani Catted X-pipe. Is there anything else I need? I've seen videos online of this setup and think it sounds amazing. I am not getting headers either....
7) new hood. I think I've decided on the (Stalker Mustang Ram Air Hood) I just love how it looks!
and eventually I want to get a new engine and a super charger in it!

I want to get the 03/04 bumper that says COBRA instead of the 99 mustang...
267294_10150241762383519_500748518_7355346_5197246_n.jpg

:banana:

Last edited:

shurur

Established Member
HA-HA..you got it bad.
My first summer I spent $4k in mods like yours....wheels, fuel door, chin spoiler, mesh grill, rear window louvers, etc, etc........then more $ in suspension mods.

My suggestion is to drive the car and make notes of things you'd enjoy in the car for yourself...things to make you happy...example: autodimming mirror...new head unit...

Also..IMO..you should invest in a Global West or Stifflers sub-FRAME for a Vert...FIRST MOD...that's pretty much religion...
Also get a Steeda Triax or Pro5.0 shifter...first two mods.

Research each mod before making the mod.

Also..make a mods speadsheet...and phase things in over time... maybe color coded...just saying...;-)

Welcome and enjoy...

Last edited:

3B99SVT

Top down makes me smile
Established Member
Welcome to the forum. Love your car, but then I'm biased. I've got similar miles on mine and it's also still running strong. I'll echo shurur's suggestion on subframe connectors. A must for a convertible. I have Maximum Motorsport XLs and am well pleased w/them.

Your grill definitely isn't stock since Cobras didn't come w/grills.

And a note on blacking out your tail lights -- '99 & '01 Cobra tail lights are somewhat unique w/the amber turn signals. If you want to make them really dark, you may as well get some GT tail lights since you won't see the ambers w/the black out. That way you can return to stock in the future. Or you can sell them (and the harnesses) for a pretty penny.

Painting your calipers is an inexpensive cosmetic upgrade. Search a little and you'll see some good hints. I still have to do mine though -- hopefully this summer.

And changing the stance (getting rid of the 4x4 look) is rather simple. I cut my springs for free. Some will say that cutting springs will ruin the ride but I don't agree. A cut spring has a slightly higher spring rate, similar to purchased lowering springs. I didn't experience a bouncy ride or anything. I finally purchased some '03/'04 shocks/struts and the front MM coil overs that I need to install. But I ran my cut springs for ~3 yrs w/o any problems at all.

If you haven't changed your oil yet, I recommend full synthetic, an FL820S filter, and run 7 qt. Definitely nothing less than 6.5 qt.

The cut springs and 7 qt recommendations are "controversial" so some may chime in w/other comments. But this is one of the best forums for a New Edge Cobra. Lots of good info here. Oh, and take time to read through the stickies. And welcome to the forum!!

pbeechner

Established Member
+1 on the subframe connectors. Buy 'em for $150 and get a shop to weld them in for $200... Cheap and very good mod.

On the brake calipers, there's a very good write up on here if you use the search tool. One of the members wrote it up and used a $25 paint kit and some tape and they are gorgeous with the Cobra lettering.

01yellercobra

Established Member
I always forget what a stock motor looks like.

Welcome to the forum. I'll back up what the guys said about the subframe connectors. They made a difference on my coupe. I can only imagine what they would do on a vert.

I'm currently running cut 03 Cobra springs with take off Bilsteins and the ride is good. Something to think about. I'll throw in a vote for the MGW shifter. I've had them on two different transmissions and I'm happing with it.

cobragirl7

Established Member
Thank you guys for all your suggestions.

What exactly does the subframe connectors do? Makes it drive smoother? they sure are pretty rough riding lol.
thank you for the caliper painting idea instead... alot cheaper it sounds like! :)

3B99SVT- The GT taillights will work on the cobra? I was wanting to get some blacked out sequential ones! :) I'm not sure what type of oil is in my car to be honest... Like I said, I'm new to all of this and this car is my baby. I thought it would just be a dream for the rest of my life, instead of a reality and I plan on making it the way I want it to be and cherishing it forever... the kids will definitely not be allowed to drive mommas car. LOL

shurur- thanks for your suggestions! I AM getting a new head unit.. as we speak actually. and eventually getting some sort of a system in it! can't wait. The head unit was stolen from it before... :( My car has probably been stolen before, it has a very high tech alarm system in it... it's insane! but, I love it.. and definitely will wake everyone on the block if someone trys to take it!

Thanks so much guys! I ordered the silver lettering for the bumper and the cobra emblem for the front, can't wait to get em put on!

01yellercobra

Established Member
The SFC's make the car stiffer. It helps with the flex and lets the suspension do the actual work. It won't make the car ride smoother. If it's not riding smooth on stock springs then the struts/shocks are probably wore out.

The GT lights will bolt in, but the wire harness will need to be modified since they don't have the ambers. It's something I haven't looked into because I like my ambers.

I painted my calipers 4 or 5 years ago with the kit from Eastwood. They still look good when I actually clean them.

shurur

Established Member
Thank you guys for all your suggestions.

What exactly does the subframe connectors do? Makes it drive smoother? they sure are pretty rough riding lol.
thank you for the caliper painting idea instead... alot cheaper it sounds like! :)

3B99SVT- The GT taillights will work on the cobra? I was wanting to get some blacked out sequential ones! :) I'm not sure what type of oil is in my car to be honest... Like I said, I'm new to all of this and this car is my baby. I thought it would just be a dream for the rest of my life, instead of a reality and I plan on making it the way I want it to be and cherishing it forever... the kids will definitely not be allowed to drive mommas car. LOL

shurur- thanks for your suggestions! I AM getting a new head unit.. as we speak actually. and eventually getting some sort of a system in it! can't wait. The head unit was stolen from it before... :( My car has probably been stolen before, it has a very high tech alarm system in it... it's insane! but, I love it.. and definitely will wake everyone on the block if someone trys to take it!

Thanks so much guys! I ordered the silver lettering for the bumper and the cobra emblem for the front, can't wait to get em put on!

Put it this way..Road racers call the metal sheet between our front and rear frames "the pie tin" or "the fifth spring"..eliminating this problem will change the car's character completely....also the shifting is vauge...so get a shifter..you'll enjoy the car more..

An low tech secuity system I have in my car is RAVELCO..the simplest ideas are the best.. $400-$500..installed in your driveway or in your parking space at work...another good mod...and money well spent....if you want another layer of security and piece of mind...

For stereo systems and real DIY tech help: www.crutchfield.com

and save the amber 99-01 cobra taillights..they are getting very $$ dear...You will need to modify GT taillights to accept the turnsignal light by making/drilling a socket hole for them. The 99-01 cobras have a 4-wire taillight system...something for you to read up on...

Last edited:

vita

Established Member
DSC_0024.jpg

DSC_0026.jpg

DSC_0014.jpg

Heres an idea on how I got to this point on mine. You and I had the same idea for looks.

03/04 Cobra bumper
20% tint
VHT Nightshade a pair of GT tail lights
VHT Nightshade 3rd brake light
Black chrome headlights with clear corners
shorty antenna
painted mirrors (to match the vehicle)
Red painted calipers with COBRA in silver (hard to see on those pics)
Mach 1 Chin Spoiler
SLP LM2 exhaust with Benassi X Tips

That gets you where Im at now. Im done with visuals (short of a Autometer gauge being put in).

As for performance, you need sub frame connectors and a decent shifter. I have a MGW and love it.

cobragirl7

Established Member
slo984now - thanks for the tips, I think you guys have talked me into leaving my tail lights... i did see a tinting (kit?) in American Muscle for the taillights.. would that work? We just got me a pioneer head unit in my car tonight, although I apparently have some blown speakers :( ugh!

shurur- thanks for the advice... so what do I do and where do I go for the whatever you guys are talking about (lol) the suspension thingy... and maybe I'll get a shifter sometime... I really don't know much about those or what would work best for me... I have a Python alarm system :) and I walk to work LOL and there is a deck in front of my car and a tree beside my car a house on the other side and a car behind it... i think someone would have a hell of a time stealing my car LOL

Vita- beautiful car! where did u get a 03/04 bumper? Thank you! :)

Last edited:

swt99svt

Established Member
Leave the tail lights alone. Leave the wheels alone. You're riding on '95 Cobra Rs and they're great looking wheels IMO.

Spend the $200 and purchase H&R Super Sport springs. Easy swap and they'll look great. Maximum Motorsport FLSC (full length subframe connectors) are the way to go. Don't waste time looking at any other FLSCs. Also, with the springs you'll probably want to invest in MM Caster/Camber plates.

Those three mods will make your car feel like an entirely new ride.

IMO... Leave the bumper alone. You can buy them anywhere but you'll likely spending $300 - $700 just for a bumper. For that money you can invest in making the car ride better.

If you want a cold air intake I have one from my '99 you can have if you cover the shipping + $20 for the K&N filter that I had on for 1k miles. Check out the MAC fenderwall. The intake allows your car to "breath" easier.

Aside from that, enjoy the car and run it till it drops. After that, then you can look at getting into some real power. At the mileage your at it's not worth adding a supercharger or any other aggressive mods. Again, drive it and enjoy it.

I bought mine 9yrs ago with 7k miles and now have 88k. I've also spent another 20k on the car after putting a supercharger on it last year and bringing to light issues with the heads of the car. Had I not gone wild with the car I would've never seen the issue till the motor had blown. At that point, I would have saved money and still had that 20k in the bank today.

What we do for the cars we love :).

cobragirl7

Established Member
swt99svt- haha thanks for your opinion. I hate the wheels (IMO) and the person who owned them before did not take care of them, they hit something and the one rear rim is bent and they are peeling off paint like crazy and I just don't like them. I AM leaving the taillights alone, but I AM tinting them :) It doesn't already have a cold air intake? I really don't know anything about it but I thought that is what the tube is on my engine on the left side? and thank you, definitely something to mill over.... wait and get a 03-04 instead and just enjoy this one until it quits on me :) thank you!

I got the cd player installed yesterday! yay now I have tunes again. I am looking for a bezel if anyone has one!

2001cobravert

Established Member
1) Going to order the cobra grille emblem and get rid of the grille that is on it now...
2) getting a new cd player put in it and also a sound system eventually.... have the speakers just gotta get them put in
3) black out tail lights and head lights
4) new wheels! I think I've decided on black Bullit wheels with rivets! I HATE the wheels that are on it right now!
5) calipers- that are red with the word COBRA on them :)
6) exhaust. it has a stock exhaust and I think I've decided that I want to do Borla Stingers Catback and a Bassani Catted X-pipe. Is there anything else I need? I've seen videos online of this setup and think it sounds amazing. I am not getting headers either....
7) new hood. I think I've decided on the (Stalker Mustang Ram Air Hood) I just love how it looks!
and eventually I want to get a new engine and a super charger in it!

I want to get the 03/04 bumper that says COBRA instead of the 99 mustang...

First off welcome to the site!:beer:
I'd also recommend some subframe connectors, and an MGW shifter.
Some comments:
1. Agree
2. Agree
3. No:bash: lol IMO they look great as is.
4. Wheels are a preference (I prefer fr500's or saleens)
5. Very common color scheme. Sounds good.
6. X-pipe will be raspy. Some like it , some don't.
7. Not familiar with that hood but most are better than our v6 hoods. Lol
Forced induction is the quickest way to make power. :burnout:

You can get yourself a rear bumber of a 2001 if all you want is it to read COBRA. The 03-04's do look better though.

DRAGUL

Established Member
Welcome. It seems everyone else has given great advice on mods. The only thing I would add to the list is to install gears. If you think the car is fun now you should see it with 4:10 gears.

cobragirl7

Established Member
Thank you everyone! yeah I might get some gears done... You guys have me talked into getting the subframe connectors... I have a long list and it's going to be over a long period of time... I am by no means "rich" haha

2001cobravert- I already said I'm leaving the tail lights alone just going to tint them :)

I've also changed my mind on exhaust job.. I want to get a BBK off road H pipe with the Borla Stingers :) I found a few videos that sold me... I decided a x pipe will just be too loud for me!

thanks again guys!

01yellercobra

Established Member
The design of the mid pipe doesn't affect how loud the exhaust is. There is a tone difference between the X and H, but any off road pipe is going to be loud.

Users who are viewing this thread