to EGR delete or not?

nothing

nothing
Established Member
i am in the process of installing my kb2.8h and would like to know if there are any cons to removing the egr? i have been reading threads for the past two days and cant seem to find any pros or cons except for appearance.

best place for the egr delete kit? lethal?

i am also redoing the entire fuel system and was planning on going back to returnless but after reading all about the frps sensors blowing was considering going returnless. i have the fore hat with gts was gonna maybe reuturn it for the walbros...is this still an issue with the frps diaphram blowing out do i need the disc from kenne bell?

any info will be much appreciated.

jumperjack

Established Member
The EGR delete is a a question of personal thought. I removed mine to clean up the engine bay but it does make the cylinders run a little bit cooler and also in PA you have to drive 5000 or less to be exempt for emissions at inspection.

CobraMac

Established Member
Con....worse gas mileage, passing smog (mainly in ca). but im pretty sure you arent to worried about that if youre throwing on a KB 2.8. Pro...looks sooo much better, and so much easier to get the blower back on without the egr valve to hook up and all that extra crap in your way

04sleeper

Runs On "Liquid Gold"
Super Moderator
For the EGR delete, just do it and you will be happy.

For the fuel system, go with the "Return" stlye system with the Walbro GSS 342's. It is a MUCH better setup than the "Returnless" style.

You shouldn't have any issues with the FRPS blowing because you eliminate the pressure spikes that you get with the returnless system. Also, the Fore rails have the hole for the FRPS sized the same as the KB Disc so there is no need for one.

AaronK

Established Member
I would do it. The only downside is emissions. I didn't notice any mpg difference when I did mine... but you are running a different setup thn me.

MaximumVelocity

Mod motor convert
Established Member
For the fuel system, go with the "Return" stlye system with the Walbro GSS 342's. It is a MUCH better setup than the "Returnless" style.

How so? There are people making 800+hp with KB Mammoths on returnless systems. I've got several Cobras out of my shop that are tuned (both KB and Whipple) Making 550, 650+hp with returnless systems that have bunches of room for more boost and don't pop FRPSs.;-)

Return-style fuel systems result in higher fuel temperature, which is bad from a performance and emission stand point. There isn't any reason to add a return line/ regulator unless you are getting close to 900hp and are out flowing the factory rails. All you are doing is adding parts that aren't needed.

nothing

nothing
Established Member
so removing the egr does not cause any drivabilty issues?

i have decided to go return style using the fore hat & walbros using the kit from lethal.

thanks for all the responses!!

KJS1820

Established Member
I would have kept it but it was just easier when I tossed on the turbo setup ;) I like how it cleans up the engine bay!

jm@ReischePerf

Owner & Operations Mgr
Established Member
Premium Member
so removing the egr does not cause any drivabilty issues?
Shouldn't... I actually noticed a bit better part throttle response on the last vehicle I did this on. Keep in mind the EGR has NO effect on WOT. MPG should be unchanged. The downside is if you want to sell the car to someone later on who is out of state with tougher vehicle inspection and emissions.

04sleeper

Runs On "Liquid Gold"
Super Moderator
How so? There are people making 800+hp with KB Mammoths on returnless systems. I've got several Cobras out of my shop that are tuned (both KB and Whipple) Making 550, 650+hp with returnless systems that have bunches of room for more boost and don't pop FRPSs.;-)

Return-style fuel systems result in higher fuel temperature, which is bad from a performance and emission stand point. There isn't any reason to add a return line/ regulator unless you are getting close to 900hp and are out flowing the factory rails. All you are doing is adding parts that aren't needed.
I'm not saying that at WOT you can't make decent power with the returnless system. Having enough flow is very easy with bigger pumps.

But no matter WHAT you do with the returnless system, you still have the inherent problem with fuel pressure spikes and the "Lean A/F" that comes with it. (ie. between gear changes at WOT) Even if you add more fuel with bigger pumps the problem still exists. (Actually more fuel just makes it worse!) Just datalog ANY returnless system and you will easily see what I am talking about.

I'm sure you do have many Cobras making great power and have headroom to make more with a returnless set up, but I Guarantee EVERY ONE has problems with fuel pressure spikes. (weather or not you feel it while driving it or not) It's just the nature of the returnless system. It's a very poor design, Period!

I also disagree with you on return systems heating the fuel up. The GSS342 set up runs the pumps in the tank and run very cool.

You don't need 900 HP to see the benefits of a return system. (FYI: I am going to the return system with only 585 RWHP)

Users who are viewing this thread