To Fix or Sell

Bates TTwins

Established Member
Well brief description about the car, 2003 Mustang GT, I picked the car up last year during my final year of college I saved up and purchased it myself for $7000 he was asking $8800. There were a few issues one the check engine light was on due to being straight piped. The air bag light throws code 34 and was informed that the issue is where the seat belt clip clips in, but i am unsure.

Pros:

49,XXX Miles
Short Throw
Alimium Drive Shaft
Long tubes not on car
X Pipe not on car
Halo Headlights
Rear tires less than 500 Miles
Exedy Stage 2 clutch
Exedy flywheel

Cons:
Check engine light due to no Cats
Air Bag Light
expired tags
rear tire keeps going flat
Drives window wont go down started today :rolleyes:

I called a local shop and was informed that they will not look at it or do any work till i take it to a Ford
dealership to have the issue with the airbag light fixed, let alone the shop is booked for the next 2-3 weeks
The rear tire keeps going flat and is practically brand new, took it to pep boys and was informed they checked for leaks but could
not get the tire off and to take it when i got it done which is an hour away.

I just having a hard time to start fixing the car due to not wanting to get in a money pit, Im a young guy and i will take any criticism in a positive way. So the question is what would you do if you were in my boat?

Last edited:

96dreamer

Established Member
Um what kind of car. The issues don't sound like they are that serious.
Edit: :lol::lol:

Tezz500

Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!!!
Established Member
great milage for an 03.. why not just address the problems unless you just want out of the car…

Check engine light due to no Cats= tuner fixed 200$?
Air Bag Light= not sure on this
expired tags= 40$ for 2 years here in DE
rear tire keeps going flat= new tire about 100$
Drives window wont go down started today= junk yard door motor and a few hrs of your time.

you can have it right for pretty cheap vs buying a new car.

mavericks-03svt

Established Member
sounds like easy fixes to me. Most airbag lights come on due to a malfunction with the system. Majority of the time it is related to the seatbelt. if you are really on a tight budget Junk yard dog 2 new seat belts & buckles for probably 10-20 bucks at the most. 10 minutes later you are swapped out and should be ready to get the light cleared. Ford or any mechanic shop should be able to clear the code once the bad belt or buckle is replaced. Check engine light due to no cats can be turned off in the tune so no problem there either or you can put the factory pipes with cats back on. Tire leak should be an easy fix by either plugging the tire or replacing the tire. If the window won't go down or up it is either related to the switch or regulator. Sounds like just a few hundred bucks to fix up all your problems. You should be able to do most of this work yourself which will save you a bunch of money. Lots of how to videos on you tube.

thomas91169

# of bans = 5203
Established Member
Those are simple fixes.

Have Ford diagnose the abs, it could be simple or need a new abs module.

The tire going flat sounds like bad valve stems.

You can try to fix the cel due to no cats by installing spark plug defaults on the rear o2 sensors to fool the ecu into seeing a different reading than the front (by moving the sensor out of the exhaust stream) or buy a set of MIL eliminator. Worst case a handheld tuner can do it.

Get the dmv shit sorted out.

Get the window regulator looked at or diagnose it yourself. Ford can prolly tell you what's wrong and you can save money by fixing it yourself.

If you like the car these are small issues considering you got it for $7k and it's really low mileage.

Mjavant1985

Figgy (Cam) Newton
Established Member
You could fix all that for less than $250, depending on the air bag light. You can get a set of new mil eliminators for less than $50. Tags shouldn't be more than $40. If its a stock 245/45/17 tire, then a new one can be had less than $75 installed. I just got a whole set of kumho ecstas from discount tire for $320 with insurance. And junkyard a switch or regulator for $20.

R.D.P.

Extra Sprinkles
Established Member
Sounds like you might be trying to talk yourself into moving on because you just want to move on, not because of issues with the car. If that's true and you have the funds to move on to something newer\nicer then go for it.

kevinatfms

Ex-Ford/Kia/Hyundai Tech
Established Member
Premium Member
Just fix everything and enjoy the car. The mustang will last a LONG time if properly maintained, and properly maintained isn't very much money. set your priorities straight with the DMV and then go and start grabbing parts for the fixes. Use rockauto.com for the cheap stuff as its a great place with every part imaginable but you can also get deals with coupons.

rockauto.com coupon#2130388319207720 - 5% off your order.

DHG1078

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Established Member
they couldn't get the tire off ? :??: Good mechanics there...

That's exactly what I was thinking.

Just fix everything and enjoy the car. The mustang will last a LONG time if properly maintained, and properly maintained isn't very much money. set your priorities straight with the DMV and then go and start grabbing parts for the fixes. Use rockauto.com for the cheap stuff as its a great place with every part imaginable but you can also get deals with coupons.

rockauto.com coupon#2130388319207720 - 5% off your order.

Pretty much this, plus what everyone else said. Your problems don't sound very bad or expensive. Just a little bit of work on your part.

coposrv

Established Member
Sounds like simple fixes for a low mileage gt.

Pep boys couldn't get the tire off? Seriously?

Users who are viewing this thread