To offroad or not to offroad

187Snake

Established Member
Hey guys so I'm looking at switching up my exhaust setup and was looking for some recommendations.

I have always had loud cars with no cats, this is my first I've left the cats on this long haha. Just so you have an idea of my tastes I had an 08 corvette with the B&B fusion axle back with long tubes and offroad X. Before that I had a 2010 GT with the roush extreme exhaust, Longtubes, offroad X, and FRPP hot rod cams.

So I have been looking over my options and was pretty much sold on the Borla Atak I do like the sound at least on YouTube videos, but now i have been thinking.. Maybe I go O/R X or H because I don't know that the Atak is really all that loud, or at least doesn't sound crazy loud on YouTube.

I am thinking an O/R pipe and the Atak will be a little over the top, but maybe not.. I then thought the corsa sport has a nice sound but is much too quiet.. So maybe corsa sport with O/R X or H.

As of now the car has stock exhaust and only a smaller supercharger pulley and CAI.

I know I would get a small gain by going O/R, but what matters to me is getting the sound where I want it.

Thanks guys!!

blownbrainmustang

Established Member
Do they make corsa extremes for gt500's? I have them on my coyote (catless, tubes, etc) and they can scream when you want them to but can be pretty conservative

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com

Catmonkey

I Void Warranties!
Established Member
Premium Member
These cars without cats increases the sound level exponentially. I'm running Borla Tourings with LTs and no cats and it's louder than I can stand. I'm afraid the ATAK might be real loud without cats. You have the option of putting your catted pipes back on I suppose.

HillbillyHotRod

Hooligan rabble rouser
Established Member
I have an 08 with ORH and Borla Tourings. It was the sound I wanted. With later model with larger exhaust probably be to loud. Another thing to consider is a lot of tuners will not touch a OR setup. I believe Bj will not.

MastaAce03

Established Member
BJ will actually tune for an off road mid pipe, just won't turn off any sensors. Off road mid and Borla tourings is the way to go. If you want louder, get the s types.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

187Snake

Established Member
I know I like it louder than alot of people on forums, but with some many people saying it's too loud with touring sit has me thinking the Atak will be was too loud without cats. I do like the sound of the Atak, but I am worried that it wouldn't be loud enough and would then want to remove the cats but would have to try to sell the Atak because the combo wouldn't be that great together...

I do need to call VMP who did my tune and make sure they will tune for O/R and that they'll turn the code off for O2s. I definitely don't want to go that route if they won't touch it or if I'll have a CEL.

They dont make the corsa extremes for the 11-12 shelby, but from what I have read the 5.0 extremes will fit the 11-12 shelby. I really wanted them on my Corvette, but the one or two sound clips I could find of them on an 11-12 shelby I just didn't like the sound.. Maybe that's why they don't advertise they will fit on a gt500.

Last edited:

187Snake

Established Member
I was also considering keeping the stock mufflers on and just adding an O/R H to it so that I can get a little power increase as well as the sound increase.

So I guess what I have it narrowed down to is:

Stock exhaust with O/R H or X (don't know if the tone would be what I'm looking for)

Borla Atak and leave the stock midpipe (worry it might not be loud enough)

Corsa Sport with an O/R x or h (does corsa sound better with X or H?)

Catmonkey

I Void Warranties!
Established Member
Premium Member
If you're sure you want to go with an off-road pipe, I'd do that first with the stock mufflers and then decide how much louder you want it. I have a '12 with the larger diameter 2.75" pipes and I reinstalled the OEM mufflers and it's still louder than I'd like it. Granted I'm an old fart now that has lost most of his hearing, but noise level is a hard thing to quantify without hearing it first hand. You might seek out GT500 owners in your area with modified exhausts to get a better idea. I can tell you that my system doesn't drone, either with the stock mufflers or the Tourings. I can't live with that.

MelloStang2010

Established Member
I was previously running Borla ATAKs with lethal's off-road x-pipe on my 2012 and its extremely loud and I loved it. No drone or anything during cruising but if you open it up its insanely loud to the point you don't want to be standing behind it as its quite painful, fine if your in the car and you can still hear stock blower whine. I recently switched to Corsa sport quads and its significantly quieter and more subdued which I'm hoping changes when I add long tubes. If you want loud go with the off-road mid pipe with either the Borla ATAKS or Corsa extremes. Especially if you like louder than most people.

RBB

Established Member
I think you'd like Corsa Sports with an off-road pipe. It's fairly quiet when cruising, but it gets very loud when you get into the throttle. I ran that setup for a while and liked it.

I still run the Sports with long tubes and an off-road X now and love it. Quiet when cruising and loud as hell when you get into it. Here's a couple clips for you with the long tubes and Corsas. In the idle clip I'm barely revving it at all....I try to keep the neighbors happy and that was a little early in the morning.

Last edited:

187Snake

Established Member
Thank you everyone for the replies, it has helped a ton! I live in Texas which is an inspection state but a bill just passed the Senate to eliminate inspections and is believed to pass the house so looking like no cats won't be a problem in 2018! So I think I'm going to go ahead and get an O/r pipe and see how that sounds with the stock exhaust and then if I'm not happy with it (probably won't be quite enough loudness) then I'll order an axle back. I'm kind of leaning towards getting the corsa sport now because that sounds great in those videos! I do love loud, but like to be able to keep it tame when the cops are out at night haha.
I love the way the Atak sounds, but I think it's going to be a little much with an O/R. That's what was nice on the corvette exhaust was being able to turn it on and off, essentially an electric cutout within the muffler.

Has anyone heard the corsa sport with an o/r H?

RBB

Established Member
The Corsa is probably perfect for you then. Keep the RPMs under 2K and it's not too loud, even with an off-road pipe. Never heard them with an H.

Islandcat

Established Member
I have a 09( smaller 2.5 inch pipes) and had an off road hpipe with the original corsa mufflers. This was before they made three different types. Supposedly they are the closest to the sports of today.

Anyway, they were above normal loud at idle and hwy cruise. Not necessarily comfortable/uncomfortable , but they were definitely tolerable. Anyway, at wot they would almost wake up the dead. My ole lady at the time hated them so the stock mufflers went back on. I have a video of my setup on a dyno pull and filming behind it, but I don't know how to put a video up on here. They were quite loud lol

Users who are viewing this thread