To those that have rebuilt a 4V

Dino S.

Established Member
What do you recommend replacing during a rebuild? I'm not trying to get fancy, just want to build something that will stand up to a mid-boost S-trim for a long time. Here's my list (currently have a working motor)

Rods
Pistons
Gaskets, rings, bearings, freeze plugs
heads & mains bolts
oil pump & gear assembly possibly (not sure on this)

Anything I left out?

Also, can I remove the heads without having to mess with the valvetrain too much? I like to leave whatever I can alone...

Wildpony

Established Member
I would get a ported intake and have them go through the heads and at least check the springs/valves. I would get new springs /valves now & be done with it...

Also maybe a new water pump while the motor is pulled...

Wildpony

Established Member
If they are just putting in new components (not the cams), with no porting I would think under $500.. Porting is where the $$ starts getting up there..

If you ever decide to put a blower on it you will see benefits of porting but not so much right now...

orange2004cobra

Established Member
Def replace your valve springs {heat cycles wera them out, and these cars run warm} I would def do new valve seals. If your running NA, bump up the compression to about 12.5 to 1 , use new cam chains, and a set of cams if you cam afford them.{doing them now is alot cheaper than doing them on their own labor wise. Port the upper intake, and delete the imrc's.
Just my 2 cents..
L.

Users who are viewing this thread