To Tint or Not To Tint....That is The Question

DonkeyTuna

Idn't dat sump'n!
Established Member
Ok fellas, I'll be moving soon from MD to VA. I want to install tint in the Termy but am concerned about any required inspections when relocating from MD to VA. I don't even know what the registration requirements will be.

I'll still be in the MACA and miss living in MD but I'll be a NoVa member soon :rockon:

Last edited:

stsltd

Established Member
Interested in the answer to this question also since I have heard some noting a renewed crackdown - especially in Frederick - was not sure if that is isolated or not...would like to have my car tinted soon but do not like the idea of having to remove it if issues arise

DonkeyTuna

Idn't dat sump'n!
Established Member
I suppose once registered I might be able to get away with it at least until some Smokey makes beef over it. But what I am wondering is how it impacts transferring a car from MD to VA and registering in VA. Will I need to get a VA inspection done?

SVTORANGE

Established Member
I suppose once registered I might be able to get away with it at least until some Smokey makes beef over it. But what I am wondering is how it impacts transferring a car from MD to VA and registering in VA. Will I need to get a VA inspection done?

I would suggest getting the car inspected and tags first before you tint it.

VA is very strict on tint with VA tags especially, and if I am not mistaken there is a cost as well to the ticket?:shrug: I would talk to some locals there first

SVTORANGE

Established Member
Interested in the answer to this question also since I have heard some noting a renewed crackdown - especially in Frederick - was not sure if that is isolated or not...would like to have my car tinted soon but do not like the idea of having to remove it if issues arise

Where are you from? a coworker of mine just got nailed last night for tint on his jetta:nonono:and it was in fredneck:cuss:

SVTORANGE

Established Member

Well that is a tough call usually when you get pulled over IN MOST CASES it is for speeding or doing something crazy and to keep from getting a moving violation they write you a repair order for the tint:bash:

If you do not want to worry then just do 35% on the sides and 20% on the rear:rockon:

fiveoh2go

Cleveland's OG
Established Member
My car came from North Carolina, so it had fairly dark (18%) tint on it when I bought it. I took it to a local Ford dealer to get a VA state inspection done (only place open on a Saturday that I trusted). The dealer was more concerned that the car only had 8,000 miles on it rather than the tint. They could have cared less about that. The car was in and out in 15 minutes!

Honestly, it's the inspectors discretion more than anything else.

Rick James

Got Brimley???
Established Member
Where are you from? a coworker of mine just got nailed last night for tint on his jetta:nonono:and it was in fredneck:cuss:

I was rolling through Frederick yesterday in my Infinity with a cop behind me for 5 miles or so. I was POSITIVE he was going to nail me for my tint (20%) but he didn't. Looked like a younger cop, so maybe that helped me.

Mike, I would wait until you get it tagged and inspected in VA b4 tinting her up........

F8LBITEva

Alexis Texas' #1 fan
Established Member
as long as you dont have a strip going across the top of your windshield you will pass inspection in VA. Cars look better tinted, but its luck of the draw as to if you get pulled over.It took 2 years of driving around this area to get pulled over for it so I say do it.

lilphillysvt

tommyguns
Established Member
well i live in pa, both of my vehicles have 15% tint on them, i got pulled over in one of them about a year ago, the cop first said that i went through a stop sign that i didnt run. gave me a warning, then gave me a ticket on my tint. gave me this card that i had to take to a mechanic to inspect my vehicle, he had to fill it out and then send it in. it worked out for me because i work at a shop, just slap new stickers on and sent the card in. havent been bothered since, but i get the looks from the cops all the time

Redmustang47

Mustang Obsessed
Established Member
If your worried about the tint be legal of not 35% is legal in all states and what i did on my car because i am 16 was i tinted the front two windows at legal percent and tented the rear window and side window darker. I tinted those at 20 and you cant tell the difference in the tint. The key thing is the fact that the cops cant check windows that cant roll down because the mechanism they use slides over your window and shoots a beam through to check weather the beam can make it through

hook982

Suicide Blonde...
Established Member
There is a chart somewhere I saw which had all the states and tint legal stuff...wish I could find it.

ScottinSSMD

gotta 996TT too!
Established Member
I would suggest getting the car inspected and tags first before you tint it.

VA is very strict on tint with VA tags especially, and if I am not mistaken there is a cost as well to the ticket?:shrug: I would talk to some locals there first

+1. They will not pass you with tint on front windows. Period. VA is tough. Especially on cosmetics. A State Pooper was sitting at a toll both yesterday off 28 waiting for anyone from VA who had a inspection sticker without a front plate. He knew there was a cool car show up the street and yanked a classic 911SC to bust his balls. That's why they can be Poopers.

SYMach1

IRS FTW!
Established Member
My tint ticket was 76 dollars in loudon county, I have had it for 2 years and have got one ticket, that was with 35% on the sides and 15% on the back three windows

Users who are viewing this thread