Toasted the clutch, installing a Spec Stage III

olchakla

Dallas Mustang Cover Car
Established Member
Well if you all have an agressive driving style, beware. This happened running at Texas World Speedway that SVT Cobra organized. Guess I shoulnd't have tried to downshift before the corner going into it at 140 mph.

Got a Spec Stage III clutch and aluminum flywheel being installed.

Any comments from those that have the same setup?

13 Cobra Toy

Need More Track...
Established Member
Cool what's the cost?? It was nice meeting you at the track.....Can't wait to go back! Maybe Oct,Nov

olchakla

Dallas Mustang Cover Car
Established Member
Originally posted by 03 Cobra Toy
Cool what's the cost?? It was nice meeting you at the track.....Can't wait to go back! Maybe Oct,Nov

Will cost $1150 tax included. Couldn't swing a warranty repair on this one. You had the silver cobra also? Great meeting you also. I almost had as much fun running the 6 cyl on Sunday but missed the extra 300 HP I had in my Cobra. You maybe plan on running any of the events at Texas Motorsport Ranch? One this Saturday or Sept 11?

Shadowgray03

Snake Charmer
Established Member
Let us know what your impressions on the spec III are, I have been tossing around the idea of a clutch but dont want to go too "grabby" if ya know what I mean.

olchakla

Dallas Mustang Cover Car
Established Member
since this is the third time the tranny came out, I don't care to mess with it anymore. I had the TOB replaced last Oct due to the squeal. Then Jan they had to replace the TOB again since the squeal came back. The pressure plate was warped so they replaced the TOB, pressure plate, clutch assy, and flywheel. Only had about 6000 miles on this clutch. Drive it too hard I guess.

When the clutch went, I damaged it more by pushing it by driving it 6 miles off the track to the hotel. It was gone already, I just sealded the damage more by driving it beyond the point of no return.

Bingo13

Established Member
Originally posted by olchakla
Will cost $1150 tax included. Couldn't swing a warranty repair on this one.

Larry,

My SPEC II/III hybird setup was $450 installed. Who in god's green earth is installing your setup???? :??:

mjchip

Just Some Guy
Established Member
Originally posted by Bingo13
Larry,

My SPEC II/III hybird setup was $450 installed. Who in god's green earth is installing your setup???? :??:

Mine was:

$399 SPEC flywheel (looks like he's going to need this also)
$384 Spec STAGEIIIXL
$0 Labor

Total: $783

I would say that this is a 5 hour job if you've done it before. At $80/hr and 5 hours the total would be around $1183

MJ

jtfx6552

Established Member
olchakla, or anybody else that has their Cobra in the air, or the trans out, what is the transmission tag number?

Rockland says they need that number before they can definitively say yes that they have parts to sell us.
JT

NetworkingGuru

Established Member
Originally posted by mjchip
Mine was:

$384 Spec STAGEIIIXL
$0 Labor

I would say that this is a 5 hour job if you've done it before. At $80/hr and 5 hours the total would be around $1183

MJ

I would have to disagree. My wife could do it in less than 5 hours. It took my brother 30 minutes FLAT to take out the tranny, and another 45 or so to put it back in. After seeing it done, I see no reason why anyone should charge 3+ hours of labor to change a clutch.

mjchip

Just Some Guy
Established Member
Originally posted by NetworkingGuru
I would have to disagree. My wife could do it in less than 5 hours. It took my brother 30 minutes FLAT to take out the tranny, and another 45 or so to put it back in. After seeing it done, I see no reason why anyone should charge 3+ hours of labor to change a clutch.

Well, it took me about 5 hours with the car on jackstands. At the same time I did a quadrant/cable/firewall adjuster. Most of the time was removing AND reinstalling the passenger side longtube header and starter.

I'd say that just doing the clutch (on a car without long-tubes) is a 1 hour job if you've done it before and have a lift and a transmission jack.

MJ

Last edited:

NetworkingGuru

Established Member
Well, it took me about 5 hours with the car on jackstands. At the same time I did a quadrant/cable/firewall adjuster. Most of the time was removing AND reinstalling the passenger side longtube header and starter.

I'd say that just doing the clutch (on a car without long-tubes) is a 1 hour job if you've done it before and have a lift and a transmission jack.

MJ

Yea, I guess longtubes would make it kind of a pain. Plus, we had a lift (screw changing it on jackstands, you are a brave man). But the starter is kind of a PITA.

Bingo13

Established Member
Mine was:

$384 Spec STAGEIIIXL
$0 Labor

MJ

Mine was-

Stage II disc, Stage III pressure plate, tob- $309
Labor- $150 (three hours at $50 an hour, actual was 2.4 hours including the driveshaft indexing)
Total- $459

I did not need a flywheel as the combo went on at 500 miles.

Last edited:

DSF

Warranty? Whats that?
Established Member
new clutch pics

olchakla ,
here are some of the pics of the clutch, i was not there when it actually went in, but i got some pics before we installed it. I did test drive the car and it felt great to me. Big difference, especially with that alum. flywheel. :burnout:

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread