TOB/Clutch TSB?

Lobo

Established Member
I had very bad TOB squeal and was about to have my shop replace the damn thing under warranty. Of course, I was reluctant to let them work on it, since I have a feeling when you start messing with stuff it'll only get worse from there.

The fun part is that it quit squealing all of a sudden. It started at app. 3000 miles and stopped at 4500. I got about 16000 on it now and everything seems fine. Just like the tranny would rattle real bad for like the first few thousand miles, now it just quietly hums along.

So fwiw, you might just want to give it some time and see if it gets better eventually. Worked for me.

Lobo

Dana

Bluesmobile
Established Member
black03,
First don't assume they know what they are doing! You're first clue should be that the Cobra does NOT have a hydraulic clutch. It is cable operated.
Second, if the disc was in fact heavier (thicker), you would have more than the normal amount of free play in the clutch linkage, not less.

All the discs should be very close in thickness, otherwise there would always be problems similiar to yours. The friction material and disc center is probably where the difference is actually at between the stock disc and the Spec disc. This should have no effect on pedal travel what so ever.

So, either you have the wrong plate/disc parts (I doubt it) or the install was not done properly (maybe) or it is just not adjusted correctly(probably).
If you don't feel confident adjusting it yourself, take it somewhere and have it done. What makes it difficult on these cars is the self adjuster at the top of the pedal. I got rid of mine the second week I had the car and went to an aftermarket replacement quadrant and firewall cable adjuster.
There should be a small amount of freeplay at the top of the pedal. This is where nothing happens but the pedal moves up and down. This insures that the TO bearing is not in contact with the pressure plate release fingers and not constantly turning.
What ever you do, get it looked at. If you leave it like that, the clutch will probably start to slip, if it isn't already.

Dana

2xlr8

Established Member
Calgary, Canada - summer is too short here!
Thanks to everyone who took the time to respond to my post. Your input has been extremely helpful.

I'm going to take the vehicle into the dealership and have them examine the TOB/retainer. If there doesn't seem to be an immediate problem, then I'll live with the squealing for a while and see how it goes before moving on to replace the tranny.

With appreciation,

2XLR8

PS - this was the first thread I've ever started and it was a very informative experience (there wasn't even any :burn: for the noob)

jumpincactus

Warriors come out to play
Established Member
Ok fellas here's my dilemma I get a squeling type sound after warm up and it usually happens stopped at a light with the clutch pushed in and the car in 1st. any input. Is it maybe the TOB?

Grumpy

Established Member
I had the squeal / chatter problem with my clutch. It would do it with the pedal out, sometimes with the pedal in. My dealer replaced BOTH the TOB and the Transmission Pilot Bearing. Upon inspection of the original Pilot Bearing, it appeared to be very dry; like it never had enough grease packed into it when new. These parts were replaced at 1200 miles. There are now 4800 miles on the car and the problem has not recurred.

FlashSVT

Established Member
I had the squeal / chatter problem with my clutch. It would do it with the pedal out, sometimes with the pedal in. My dealer replaced BOTH the TOB and the Transmission Pilot Bearing. Upon inspection of the original Pilot Bearing, it appeared to be very dry; like it never had enough grease packed into it when new. These parts were replaced at 1200 miles. There are now 4800 miles on the car and the problem has not recurred.
Good info Grumpy. Possible light at the end of the tunnel.

Users who are viewing this thread