TOB / Flywheel question

2FST4USonicBlue

Established Member
Just had my TOB replaced yesterday and now for some reason when I am in gear my clutch is vibrating all the time. It gets worse / faster as the RPMs go up. Any suggestions?? I drove the car yesterday and felt fone and then when I was driving it this morning, I notcied a little bit more play with the clutch and that corresponded directly with when the vibrations started happening. :shrug:

thanks

P49Y-CY

fomocomofo
Established Member
a little more info might help?

did you get only the tob replaced? (or fw/clutch too) do you have any aftermarket quadrant stuff?

a vibrating pedal sometimes happens with aftermarket adjuster/quadrant but no ldc freeplay mod

Last edited:

2FST4USonicBlue

Established Member
only the TOB was replaced (I was hearing the chirping). Had no prior problems with the clutch, and I think it was replaced about 15k miles ago with a new cable, ect. I dont race it, nor do I drag it or ride the clutch hard. Like I said, it was doing it about a day after I had the TOB replaced.

Silverboost

Established Member
you need to get the CDC Clutch freeplay mod. That will at least pull the throw out bearing off of the clutch pressure plate fingers.

2FST4USonicBlue

Established Member
I wish they would tell u that when u buy the new TOB, now i have to pay for more labor to have him take the tranny off again!! thanks for the input fellas

2FST4USonicBlue

Established Member
I went back to where I got the work done and both he and another guy he had come over to look at it were completely perplexed (the other guy is a tranny guy). While it is in neutral and sitting at idle if you place your hand on the clutch pedal it thumps against your hand. Anyone know of anybody that I can talk to about this issue on getting it resolved?? I just dont have time or money to be buying parts on a "it could be this" basis, especially when they have to pull the tranny each time.

thanks

r_vas85

yeah!!!!
Established Member
i had the same problem a few days..turned out to be my clutch cable was about to bust on the quadrant..

2FST4USonicBlue

Established Member
put on the free play mod and still get a vibration from clutch pedal, also now it always feels like I am going to stall the car (shakes really bad coming out of 1st gear and even shifting from 1st to 2nd). have no idea wtf is going on, an suggestions??

2FST4USonicBlue

Established Member
what about the harmonic balancer?? I have no idea why before I have no problems other than a squeaky TOB and now after getting the TOB replaced I am running into these problems.

GrayGhost03

Established Member
highly unlikely that you have it on backwards but it can be be put on backwards. the heavy side (bearing) should be in front of the fork facing the flywheel.

exdeath

Established Member
Check the adjuster. Pulling on the cable at the fork end while removing the transmission may have affected the adjuster and put some slack in the pedal. The factory adjuster is pretty loose even at the maximum tension setting, and if the clutch itself is worn beyond the range of adjustment, you'll get a loose pedal.

A flash light, a pry bar, and a running car on a drive on lift with easy access to the bell housing and driver seat at the same time should locate the source in a few minutes.

If you want it absolutely perfect you need an adjustable cable, firewall adjuster and quadrant, LDC free play spring, and a pedal height adjuster. Get the ToB within 1/8th of an inch of the pressure plate from the cable adjustment at the fork, use the firewall click adjuster to fine tune to to practically touching, and the free play spring keeps the cable from relaxing and keeps it from actually touching until you push the pedal. You can visually inspect the ToB with a flashlight and confirm that it's not spinning at all until you put the slightest bit of effort on the fork. Zero play and zero vibration with immediate engagement at the pedal.

If you want to put the pedal lower to the level of the brake pedal with the height adjuster, you'll need a steeper ramping quadrant like the red Steeda one to compress the the same amount of cable/pressure plate take up into the shorter pedal throw with the trade off of a stiffer pedal.

Last edited:

2FST4USonicBlue

Established Member
took it to gearheads in Arlington this morning, and it was not the Flywheel but that something was definitely f'd up in the Tranny (it was grinfing and shaking in whatever gear I was in whether it was 1st or 6th). Guess I will wait and see what they say as the final verdict, should have just taking it there to get it done the first time and had it done right instead of going where I went.

Users who are viewing this thread